Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
prospects of survival for todays society
25 January 2012, 22:12,
RE: prospects of survival for todays society
My local costco were selling "fresh" lobster and shrimp. Place of origin?

Bombay.

Hows that fucking fresh? Both available in waters around the uk.

Thats half the problem we face - theres nowt produced here anymore. If we'd closed the borders post WW2 we may have had a sensible population and the ability to grow enough food to feed the population. But we let millions of immigrants in an fucked it up for everyone
26 January 2012, 00:48,
In the jet age it can get here just as quick as stuff from the outback, like Devon .... Smile.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 January 2012, 11:14,
so Devon is the new outback SD?? what does that make me-an Abbo???Big GrinTongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 January 2012, 11:16,
(26 January 2012, 11:14)bigpaul Wrote: so Devon is the new outback SD?? what does that make me-an Abbo???Big GrinTongue

Neayokulus manBig Grin

26 January 2012, 11:32,
(26 January 2012, 11:16)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(26 January 2012, 11:14)bigpaul Wrote: so Devon is the new outback SD?? what does that make me-an Abbo???Big GrinTongue

Neayokulus manBig Grin
Neoyokulusman you mean?? new yokel man?? i like it, good one NR!!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 January 2012, 11:56,
Ooh arrr Yarp Smile

26 January 2012, 11:57,
(26 January 2012, 11:56)NorthernRaider Wrote: Ooh arrr Yarp Smile

i like it so much-i've nicked it for my signature!!Tongue
26 January 2012, 11:59,
Better than Homo Scouserous, or Cro Mancunian man.

26 January 2012, 13:52,
Okay, back to the survival prospect for society.

If you think about the society we live in, it's about time there was a clear out.

Thinking about society, it is made up of different generations. Each generation would have to deal with different issues. My generation would have the issue of total ignorance. We know not of where food comes from, other than the brands that we get it from. We have never had a war effect us. We had a huge awakening on 9/11 and again with the bombing in London, but that was it. We've only had slight civil disruptions, but nothing major. We live our lives plugged into the wall. Mobile phones, TV, internet, radio, those make up about 80-90% of our communications. Food is 99% purchased (estimate). Over 90% (estimate, but it's probably more) of transport/commuters, are dependant on diesel and petrol. Most people probably wouldn't realise the need to boil river/stream water before you drink it.

The generation before us is the 'unwarred' generation. The generation where no major war changed their way of thinking. They just missed out on the Vietnam and Korea business. So they have never had that threat looming over their heads.

The generation before them had the cold war. Which greatly effected the way people lived. People had bomb shelters in the gardens, often still from WWII. So they were pretty good preppers.

Before them had WW2 and half of the Great Depression. Huge preppers, knew how to survive.

Before them had WW1 and the other half of the Great depression. They were the masters of prepping...but not financial masters.

Before them....living largely off the land. Urbanisation was starting off, but it was not a large thing. Only for the rich.
26 January 2012, 14:00,
i like your thinking Scythe, i just missed the second world war-by 3 years, too young for Vietnam, wife's parents moved to east Devon from Leeds during the cold war, lived in a thatched cottage with no electric or running water, my adopted mother AND my birth mother both came from farming families, my grandfather was a cabinet maker and his father was a fisherman, my wife left home and went into farming, she knows more about the countryside than i'll EVER know-i was brought up as a city boyTongue