Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coffee
25 June 2018, 16:53,
Coffee
I am on this quest to pleasure myself in anyway possible.....one of the best cups of coffee i'v had was in a 7/11 (USA) in fact i have not even come close to it .....so here's the deal .....forget all the outlets anyone know of a brand available off the shelf ....ground , bean or other that can make my lips vibrate and char char my taste buds into uncontrollable bliss.
25 June 2018, 18:00,
RE: Coffee
(25 June 2018, 16:53)Straight Shooter Wrote: I am on this quest to pleasure myself in anyway possible.....one of the best cups of coffee i'v had was in a 7/11 (USA) in fact i have not even come close to it .....so here's the deal .....forget all the outlets anyone know of a brand available off the shelf ....ground , bean or other that can make my lips vibrate and char char my taste buds into uncontrollable bliss.

7/11 coffee is better than average only because it is usually fresh and they go through multiple pots quickly enough that it doesn't sit around and get stale and bitter.

Duncan Doughnuts coffee is another roadside favorite which is fresh and strong.

Waffle House coffee is good too if the place is always busy so that the coffee is fresh. The particular restaurant I go to puts a digital timer over the pot and if the coffee isn't served within 30 minutes, it is poured out and they make fresh.

I prefer to make my own coffee and carry a Thermos. I buy Chock Full-O-Nuts Dark Satin (New York cops and cabbie's favorite) blend of pure Arabica by the case from Massimo Zanetti Co. over the Internet. Each morning I make my own using Berkeley Springs bottled water (never municipal tap water) in a French press which makes exactly 20 ozs. In summer I make cold brew coffee from the same blend in the frig.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
25 June 2018, 18:04,
I don't know if they have an outlet in UK, but this is where I get mine:

https://www.shopmzb.com/coffee?filter_cf3=Dark+Satin

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
25 June 2018, 18:46,
Your best bet is to try as many brands as you can and see which ones work for you. We drink ground coffee (I loathe granulated), and I get mine from Aldi (or Lidl). Strength 4, Lazy Days. It's pleasant enough for me (and I actually prefer tea) and OH likes it, and the price is good.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
25 June 2018, 19:15,
SS if you were on an American forum you would have just opened a thread that would live for years, run to hundreds of pages and contain thousands of posts.

We might be known all over the world as the people with a "gun culture", but more intensely than that, we are a people with a "coffee culture".

While you in GB might have a coffee in the morning and switch to tea mid day with even a special meal centered around tea in the late afternoon over here we start the day with coffee, we take a morning break with coffee, we have a special coffee after lunch as a desert, we have a cup around 3pm as a pick-me-up and then we have a soothing cup, or a soothing half pot, after dinner.

We might have an early morning business meeting and make a deal over a cup of coffee at 6am. We might spin into that 7/11 two or three times a day for a quick cup and when we eat at pubic eateries we make our selection based on who has the best cup of coffee.

A meet-up for coffee is often the first step into a romantic relationship since it is nonalcoholic, non-committal, available any time day or night. And if the other party answers your offer of stopping somewhere for a cup with the words "I don't drink coffee.", well then you did not have a prayer of making a go of it with a non-coffee drinker anyway.

Wife #1 could not make coffee worth $h!te! Her own father once described it as "brutal" and he had fought all the way across north Africa and from Normandy to Czechoslovakia drinking instant K-rat coffee the whole time.

I myself have been sexually assaulted on several occasions by wife #2 after bringing the perfect cup of coffee to her bedside. What that girl would do for a good cup of coffee was inspiring. (fresh ground beans, a hint of hazel nut, a drop of vanilla, real cream and two sugars)

But the answer to your query is the sad truth that coffee taste is dependent on many factors and not just brand. It is also dependent on your method of preparation!

"And that was when the fight started!"

What type of coffee maker you use, what kind of water is available, grind quality of the beans, how long and how much heat is applied to the batch all has an influence on taste.

However, as a bush-crafter, and especially as a re-enactor, I can say that the best coffee I have ever had was roasted whole beans boiled over a brushwood campfire, in an enamelware pot using water fresh from a limestone cave on a frosty October evening.

Waffle House runs a close second.

That means that the real trick is in the preparation of the brew more than the brand of the beans or even their grind. You have to experiment. How much coffee, what grind size, filtered or unfiltered water, drip perked/french pressed or old style percolator, when do you remove from the heat?

It is a science, but it is not rocket science. If you take enough time you will get it right, eventually.

And after all that I go back to my very best cup made over the campfire. Here is the hobo method. I am not sure if you have a Hobo history over there. Ours comes from our Civil War experience. Yours would probably equal workmen being "on tramp" back in the 18th/19th Centuries. Traveling light with only the basics. A tin pot, a tin cup, a little coffee or tea, all rolled in a blanket roll.

Use a sauce pan, enamelware pot or a big tin can. Put some water in there until it is about 1 1/2-2" from the top. Sprinkle enough whole roasted coffee beans on top until they completely cover the surface of the water, then a few more.

Now put the cooker on the heat. Boil the mess until it foams up and overflows the container, then reduce the heat (in our case this was moving the pot from the middle of the fire to the edge of the fire). Tell one more wild-A story no one believes as the coffee simmers.

Now pull the pot from the fire and pour the brew carefully, being careful not to get any beans in the cup. Let it cool for a minute, it is boiling hot since it just came off the campfire.

If it is too weak boil it for a little longer. If it is too strong add a little water until you get it right.

You can do the same thing inside on the hob or using a drip maker. Adjust your amount of coffee, adjust your amount of water, try two paper filters in the drip machine instead of only one, try filtered water/tap water/bottled water. You can even tie ground coffee up in a sachet and boil it if you do not have whole beans.

Every morning I place 1/4 cup of coffee grounds into my drip machine. I use any of the major brands as long as they are 100% pure coffee with no fillers.

I use one paper filter and put 8 cups of tap water in the reservoir. (I have excellent water here) I let that run completely through and then wait a few minutes more for everything to settle down, then I pour my first cup of the day. I lose 2 cups to evaporation in the brewing process. I usually drink the 6 cups before lunch time.

In your situation I would try for one of the European brands of coffee. The Dutch are especially fond of good strong coffee so their brands are probably richer than what you have at the local market, offered by people that would rather have tea.

Good luck with that.
26 June 2018, 13:10,
Thanks to all for the input and links ....i am now trialling different types of coffee and water variations will report back .....but i have to say MB's post hit me straight in the heart ....it was courageous,frank and took guts as he just dropped in a sentence sort of casual which shook and chilled me to the bone .....and has inspired me to speak out .....sexual abuse is horrific ...no one should have to endure such behaviour especially in their home......so i'm coming out and spilling the beans on Wild Child........1968 August bank holiday at the local disco (i only called in for a packet of fags) there she stood ...long brown hair down to her arse ,black mini skirt,black bolero and red chiffon blouse....Thunder Struck ! Rollin Over by the small faces was playing on the jukebox ....i was sort of fixed to the floor ...like a tick on a dog....that's when the abuse started....at first she played it slow ...but gradually the elbow titing started ...i discouraged this and saying firmly that i was not that type of guy....but her persistence had no bounds....NO means NO i kept saying ...did this put her off ...NO....we are now six months into the relationship ....then one Saturday night we are baby sitting ....my resistance was low ....and she struck ....not in a nice romantic way ...but an all out attack frenzied i could car less way....remember them big rubber balls with ears ....you held on with the ears sat on the ball and bounced ....yep you get the picture ...i tried to dump her ...but we got married instead ....i had hoped this would cool her down some.....then the triple scaffold board incident.....i erected some scaffolding to render the back of our first house i only had three boards ....she saw these as as sexual apparatus with my torso duck taped to the centre board spread eagle'd feet and hands also duck taped too the other two boards.....i was young ....i did not have any experience .....then along came bouncy again .......i know boys how terrible i hear you say.....you should have just left SS....no not me men .....i'm a long haul sort of guy...i just put up with it ........sometimes i tried to scream out...i was fed up of the abuse and being thrown around like a rag doll ..and having the appearance of someone constantly being dragged backwards through a privet hedge .......its okay girls i'm fine i hear your gasps of disbelief and what a bastard bitch ! .....again i would like to thank MB ....could not have been easy pal....a man hug is in order here ...in fact a mass man hug ....i hope i have inspired others to speak out......
the one and only time i hit the jackpot .
30 June 2018, 14:21,
I am now on the forth bag of coffee (ground) the latest brand is (illy) ....i am using a filter coffee machine and the French push down job ........this latest brand is 100% Arabica four scoops to six cup mark seems good for the first try ....not cheap ...but Hey.....bought from ASDA i will list all others in order later......shopping this morning in Aldi's ....jamb packed ! ....we do the shop ...hit the check out and head for the door .....the beeper go's off... wtf ....i spin around and shout "you'll never take me alive copper" everyone turns and looks "i know Karate" ...hand movements and chops .....silence......"i am married for god sake " .....laughter..... wild child mutters "yes to me "....mercy have mercy.....we trolley on over to the car.....i load up jump in start up.... Then ......"fair play you are a total idiot ! " ......as punishment i will now have to do dinner AND tickle her back for at least two hours .....me and my big mouth .
15 February 2020, 13:31,
Breaking news ! Finally cracked it .....there I was in Aldi,s minding my own business , and I spot this stove top expresso coffee maker , a two part job that screws together, I have seen these things being used in vids by off grinders so i grab two only £6.99 each ......on returning home I am straight on it .....so my quest is finally over , best coffee ever ! I am using Colombian coffee 3 from Aldi s ...... now I realise you yanks probably been using these things for years ...and some here too ....but new to SS none the less .....Smokin ! I am now running around in really small circles like a three year old .
16 February 2020, 12:24,
(25 June 2018, 16:53)Straight Shooter Wrote: I am on this quest to pleasure myself in anyway possible.....one of the best cups of coffee i'v had was in a 7/11 (USA) in fact i have not even come close to it .....so here's the deal .....forget all the outlets anyone know of a brand available off the shelf ....ground , bean or other that can make my lips vibrate and char char my taste buds into uncontrollable bliss.

Taylors of Harrogate, Java Lava, very nice indeed. no5.
16 February 2020, 16:44,
All of this questing and trying of brands when all you really have to do is stop at the 7/11?

The thing is that when you go into a market and they have 50 different blends all ready for dispensing and grinding to your specs you can be pretty much assured that they all came out of the same bag and went into different bags or hoppers in the back room.

At the rate I go through coffee I can not afford that expensive swill. That gourmet stuff costs 4X what the standard brands do and I go through a pound every couple of days. I would soon be spending more on coffee than on food.

I became very irritated a few years back when my local grocery quit keeping a grinding machine in the coffee isle. They still sell whole beans in 100 varieties of the expensive stuff, but no grinder in sight. I suppose they figure the connoisseurs will sort out their own grind. Count a specific number of beans, press the button for a prescribed number of seconds, use a special filter made from recycled bog roll from Norway....

Many of our big old grocery firms over here started as coffee and tea importers, now they do not even have a grinder in the store.