Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whistle
4 July 2018, 10:14,
Whistle
can this whistle be used to call dogs while hunting https://swordsswords.com/all-natural-hor...e-duo.html??
4 July 2018, 16:45,
RE: Whistle
(4 July 2018, 10:14)Billy02 Wrote: can this whistle be used to call dogs while hunting https://swordsswords.com/all-natural-hor...e-duo.html??

Yes, you could probably train your dog(s) to respond to that whistle.

But if you are training your dog in settled area or public part, it is less annoying to others if you use a silent dog whistle. A whistle-trained dog is easier to handle at a distance, in heavy cover, and when the wind is high. Whistle commands also keep from alerting game like verbal commands.

A common misunderstanding by the general public is that dogs respond to a whistle with little or no training. A dog that knows his verbal commands will usually pick up whistle signals easily. But if your dog does not obey your verbal commands there is no reason to think he will respond better to whistle commands.

Without training, whistles are like any other noise to your dog. A whistle command is a cue which the dog learns to associate with and eventually substitute for a verbal command. Whistle training is achieved by overlaying the whistle command once the verbal command is mastered and reinforcing the task in that manner with the whistle, until the verbal command may be omitted and the dog responds to the whistle only.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/whistle-buyers-guide.html

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
4 July 2018, 19:00,
I use one like that to irritate the he!! out of the next door neighbors pit bull.

I stand inside at the window and blow it and he spins in circles and bites his food dish. I do not have to blow it hard and no one but the dog can hear it.

Sometimes I do it just as the neighbor starts to pour the food. The dog nearly knocks him down and it looks like an old animated cartoon.
4 July 2018, 20:44,
(4 July 2018, 19:00)Mortblanc Wrote: I use one like that to irritate the he!! out of the next door neighbors pit bull.

I stand inside at the window and blow it and he spins in circles and bites his food dish. I do not have to blow it hard and no one but the dog can hear it.

Sometimes I do it just as the neighbor starts to pour the food. The dog nearly knocks him down and it looks like an old animated cartoon.

RESPECT !!!.....Sir, i take off my hat to you.
5 July 2018, 02:53,
Age and deceit will overcome youth and vigor in any given endeavor.
5 July 2018, 03:06,
Actually a whistle is a good thing to have and I keep one on my EDC key chain along with the little bitty SAK.

Even if you have fallen and broken a couple of ribs and hurt to bad to yell a whistle will make enough noise with a weak breath for SAR to hear you. Everyone has seen Titanic!

They are also good for signaling the start of an ambush or organizing movements of small troop units.
5 July 2018, 15:30,
That's a terrible thing to do MB!......hiding behind the open window and waiting and watching the results .......i absolutely LOVE IT .....you sicko .....getting one tomorrow ......
5 July 2018, 17:19,
(5 July 2018, 03:06)Mortblanc Wrote: Actually a whistle is a good thing to have and I keep one on my EDC key chain along with the little bitty SAK.

Even if you have fallen and broken a couple of ribs and hurt to bad to yell a whistle will make enough noise with a weak breath for SAR to hear you. Everyone has seen Titanic!

They are also good for signaling the start of an ambush or organizing movements of small troop units.

When i started hill walking about 1960 a whistle was an essential part of “kit” together with map, compass, torch, first aid kit and a bivouac bag as a minimum.

This was decades before mobile phones and if you were injured, or lost in fog or just in trouble, the emergency call was three blasts every minute, the response was six blasts, in the dark you would flash your torch.

Over the years i have had several different backpacks, the latest which is now my main BOB still has my original silva compass and whistle.
5 July 2018, 18:45,
Police and Fire Dept whistle code in the US originated from that of the London Metropolitan Police and fire brigades dates from the 1880s:

One LONG blast - Traffic/hoist stop as directed by officer's hand or light signal

Two short blasts - Traffic/hoist may proceed (GO) as directed by traffic signal

Three LONG Blasts - EMERGENCY STOP! HOLD FAST!

Three LONG blasts of the whistle is recognised as an international distress call.

Two blasts of the whistle is the international recognition or call-back signal which means "Come here."

One blast is also recognized an inquiry signal which means "Where are you?"
or "SOUND AGAIN" as a call-back signal if you hear anything undetermined, which might be a code.

Short blast is ONE second.

LONG blast is THREE seconds.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
6 July 2018, 16:33,
Man CH you have to be on e of the most organized people left on planet Earth.

What do you mean "code"?

I'm just going to honk down on that thing till someone shows up!