Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of "Your" air rifles..
9 August 2018, 16:08,
RE: One of "Your" air rifles..
Thanks Talon, information I can use.

My 30 has a ball bearing in the chamber block that snaps over a bar on the receiver. I have been suspect of the system since I saw it. It also has a different "feel" when the barrel goes back into battery sometimes that makes me suspect. I have not disassembled the rifle to the point of finding the adjustment for the tension on the ball bearing. It is crimped at the front so it has to go in from the back. I will search for that.

I am using Leipers mounts and they seem well made but were the focus of interest when I contacted the distributor who furnished the rifle. The first thing they said was "mounts".

I do not think it is barrel whip or the LER scopes would not be working well, unless their own presence is acting as a muzzle weight.

I think a good one piece mount is in order after I search out the adjustment screw tension on the ball bearing in the lockup.

One thing at a time, I have learned the hard way. Adjusting two things at once often causes sudden insanity.

One strange thing about working with air guns here in the States, you have to order everything on line. There are only about 3-4 good air gun centers over here that specialize in quality gear and the knowledge that goes with them. Fortunately the internet allows easy access, but often one is buying or modifying sight unseen and with no guidance.
9 August 2018, 18:23,
I don't think you can adjust the ball detent Mort . I meant the actual barrel pivot bolt . I would definitely go for the one piece mount . If that doesn't work I'd try loosening the barrel pivot bolt a tad . I know it sounds crazy but it could just be too tight . No the 30's lock up isn't the best design out there . There aren't many bad reviews on the rifle though so the basic design must be fit for purpose . I hope it's just the mounts .The fact that the lock up feels different at times is a little concerning though .
11 August 2018, 00:21,
I was also thinking I must be doing something wrong or have the set-up wrong on the rifle. It is perfection in every other way, so I am going to work around the situation since I am used to solving these kinds of problems with cartridge rifles. Each one is an individual and I will find the proper combination for this one.

I specifically have a nice 3-9x BSA scope that has paralax adjustment down to 6M that I want to use for indoor shooting, which has been my disappointment.

I am going to look at the ball detent situation from the inside after disassembling the rifle. I am pretty sure they put the ball in from the back and secure it with a spring against a screw. If so I can probably get an extra turn to tighten things up.

"Back in the day" the 30 had a latch that secured the barrel in locked position. I wish they still did.

I have already ordered a one piece mount, and it can not hurt anything even if it does not cure the issue.

This little rifle is amazing to me. I am shooting it a ton and I am using cheap pellets. Except for the Coleman pellets the rifle shoots anything I put into it reasonably. I am getting one inch groups at 20m consistently using Beeman pellets that cost $4 US for 500 pellets, which is the cheapest I have found. If I can get the good scope on it I am sure it will do better.

The rifle will also do better when shooting the $12-$15/500 JSB pellets but I am having a ton of fun zipping out 500 or so shots per week, in reasonably close groups, at $4.

My PCP rifles have proven the same. JSB pellets shoot into microscopic groups at 35m while the Beeman and RWS pellets do around 3/4" and cost 1/3 the price of the JSB ammo.
12 August 2018, 20:11,
Ah . Well if there's a screw locking the detent in Mort it should be pretty simple to adjust the tension on it.Or even replace the detent Spring with a stronger one if need be.I have to admit it's got me really curious about picking one of these little rifles up.I think it would make a lovely 20 yard plinker with a williams sight on it.
I've always been a fan of the Beeman c1 with the western style stock.I think I'll look for a 30 in .177 for some open sight shooting.My eyes pretty much need a scope for 25 yards and over these days .Im glad you're having fun with the little Weihrauch though Mort and hope you get the scope issue resolved. I'll look forward to your update.
14 August 2018, 00:44,
I took the barrel off the tube and there is no adjustment screw. The locking detent ball is apparently pushed in and then crimped in place. It snaps in place over a steel bar and apparently you get what you get.

I am still going to try the one piece scope mount and see if that helps.

I am even considering the purchase of a micrometer peep sight. Something to play with.