Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brexit no deal
28 August 2018, 17:49,
RE: Brexit no deal
Thanks. well I'm managing round the house and garden fine. I can walk short distances I'm just having to rest with my leg up alot at the minute. I'm hoping though by next Jan to be able to at least manage a short walk down the road to the field incase it does snow and it's too deep for the scooter. The dog's happy enough chasing snowballs when we get deep snow as luckily the garden's a nice size for him to charge round in the snow! Would save on my future electric bills though if I could get one that didn't need charging as long though if it's going to a permanent feature (at least for longer distances).

I'll keep an eye out on ebay and see how I'm doing coming up to xmas. I'm building up to been able to manage an half an hour walk a day for his shortest walk then just use the scooter for the longer runs. A family member has brought me an old treadmill so I can do physio daily at home and build up slowly and I've been using some of those electric pedal exercisers to help circulation without too much weight bearing exercise as I've been recovering.

The thing I saw to hang on the back glass door to solar charge up to 4 things at once is this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F...ORVE&psc=1

Anyone know if they're any good?
28 August 2018, 18:32,
Just a few thoughts to dwell on;

First, the government and media scare tactics are apparently working. They have worked on you at any rate. Fear is their goal and you are scared. One more voter willing to do anything to remove that fear.

Fear is an emotion and should be treated as such. It is a feeling and not a fact. Start looking at the facts.

If there are power cuts and shortages where do you plan on going on that scooter? The shops will have nothing on the shelves so why make the trip?

That scooter uses a battery, so get a solar charge panel at the auto parts store for 20 pounds and park the scooter by the window and let the panel do its work. Hobble around the house, as you say you can, with out the scooter and if there are no trips to make then the scooter will always have plenty of power on hand.

You might also check out the cheap boxed meals at the local stores rather than hunting for expensive "survival food" on the internet. Ramen noodles, mac&cheese, noodles and rice are all filling, nourishing and can be prepared by heating a liter of water over any stove you have at hand. A bit of canned meat or fish and some spices really perks them up and they have a very long storage life with the "use by" date being a formality.

And yes, do stock up on your meds. That is the only sensible and reasonable thing to do. Get all that you can either financially or legally. I try to keep a 6 month supply on hand and rotate out the oldest just like food stocks.

So then if you do not need anything to make a trip for then mobility is not an issue. You do not need it because you already have it and do not care if it is at the shop or not!

Make your rounds today, and tomorrow, and until the power happens to not be there, then sit at the house and put your feet up and quit worrying about 6 weeks time because you have pasta, beans, and spam to last 8 weeks.

As I get older I find that my life is much more comfortable if I do what it takes to just not give a crap!
28 August 2018, 20:00,
well the camping stoves I already had from past camping trips and we do get the odd power cut in winter.for the same reason I usually stock up and make sure I have enough in between Dec and Feb when it's most likely to snow usually (though we did get snow late March/April). I usually get food delivered fortnightly but they won't deliver if its snowed so I make sure I have at least 2-4 weeks in stock incase a delivery of fresh food is missed anyway

I do have a dog to walk everyday and have been having to use the scooter to be able to do that (he walks alongside on lead then I let him off when we get to a field). He'll still need walking daily even if a bad brexit is happening! ..even if I don't go anywhere else or have any other appointments I still have him to walk twice a day. Though we often drop to 1 walk a day if weather is really bad in the winter but he still needs at least a quick walk to the field down the road and quick run about daily.

I was just trying to work out how much more I need to have in stock than what I usually get in for winter, if Brexit causes disruption. And how severe it maybe likely to get? ie a couple of days of just food stuck in port or power and fuel shortages too? Hopefully we won't be having severe weather on top of this but just in case

If I got a solar panel how would I connect it to the scooter? Its got 2 large 50ah batteries. So far I've only found solar chargers that charge small items such as phones via USB? The scooter has a funny circular port on the tiller where you plug the charger in.
28 August 2018, 20:50,
LV you are now talking some solar panels and inverter and a deep cycle battery and maybe a longer wait to get a full charge , you may just get away with a inverter but only when the sun was shinning ......there are or were better members who have forgotten more than i know......someone will pass by in a bit LV to help you more i am sure.
29 August 2018, 10:01,
I don't know about anyone else, but I voted to LEAVE the EU, not to do deals, not to stay in the single market or any of the rest of it, but to just leave lock stock and barrel.
I think most of the population, including remainers, is getting fed up with all the time it is taking to leave, they just want the job done.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 August 2018, 15:05,
(28 August 2018, 20:00)Lost Vulcan Wrote: well the camping stoves I already had from past camping trips and we do get the odd power cut in winter.for the same reason I usually stock up and make sure I have enough in between Dec and Feb when it's most likely to snow usually (though we did get snow late March/April). I usually get food delivered fortnightly but they won't deliver if its snowed so I make sure I have at least 2-4 weeks in stock incase a delivery of fresh food is missed anyway

I do have a dog to walk everyday and have been having to use the scooter to be able to do that (he walks alongside on lead then I let him off when we get to a field). He'll still need walking daily even if a bad brexit is happening! ..even if I don't go anywhere else or have any other appointments I still have him to walk twice a day. Though we often drop to 1 walk a day if weather is really bad in the winter but he still needs at least a quick walk to the field down the road and quick run about daily.

I was just trying to work out how much more I need to have in stock than what I usually get in for winter, if Brexit causes disruption. And how severe it maybe likely to get? ie a couple of days of just food stuck in port or power and fuel shortages too? Hopefully we won't be having severe weather on top of this but just in case

If I got a solar panel how would I connect it to the scooter? Its got 2 large 50ah batteries. So far I've only found solar chargers that charge small items such as phones via USB? The scooter has a funny circular port on the tiller where you plug the charger in.

Working up how much extra you need is a simple mater of planning three meals a day and purchasing them. It is not rocket science.

How much you will need is a matter of speculation and the floating variable in the equation. No one know if there will be a shortage, how long any disruption would last or how deeply it would intrude into the system.

If you knew that we would not all be prepping, we would be shopping the day before the scheduled and anticipated event and buying just the right amount to get by.

Most of the solar panels bought at the auto parts shops have a simple black lead and red lead which clip onto the battery poles. Some also have an auto "cigarette lighter" type power port which can be used if needed.

You are looking for something that is common to vehicle use and not household appliances. Here is the US product and I am sure you can find the same at any well stocked auto parts center or at a travel center on the motorway, or even have it delivered to your door from the internet.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-so...62449.html

As for walking the dogs, I would get my priorities straight. Buy them a long lead and stand at the door. In time of crisis a pile of steaming dog poo is the least of anyone's worries.

And remember that if the shortages last for long, or rationing goes into effect (imagine the UK tolerating rationing in this day and age), they may not give you special coupons for dogie treats. I know that I used to buy dog food in big 100kilo bags that would last a month at a cost of nearly nothing.

Again, you are agonizing over something you have no control over and will not take control over, but will not give up. If you can not care for the dogs give them to someone that can care for them, or prepare to add them to the stew pot when the time comes.

Other than that advice I do not know what you want to hear. It appears there is always some reason you can not do what anyone on any forum on the internet suggests and have been searching for the answers to the same questions for many years.

I doubt that we have not told you anything you have not already heard.
3 April 2019, 21:58,
With all the sh*t that’s been going on in parliament over the last few weeks we’re all going to need yellow vests........
4 April 2019, 14:17,
Parliamentarian's have no idea …………...of what's coming their way next Pete ……..no idea at all ……..and they think We are dumb ? .
4 April 2019, 16:28,
You guys are about to get a second referendum imposed on you and they will be sure to have the polls better rigged this time!

You sneaked up on them that last go around. They will not allow that again.
4 April 2019, 19:11,
I read this in yesterday's Telegraph and found it very thought provoking.

Culling a few of the best tidbts...

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
3rd Apr 2019, 3:59 pm

...So we lurch towards a permanent customs union and British infeudation as a non-voting member of the EU legal and regulatory system. This can end only in acrimony and years of bitter conflict with Europe...

It will become clear why a G7 industrial democracy with 65 million people cannot subcontract swaths of policy-making to a foreign power. The constitutional arrangement... guarantees an abrogation crisis down the road...a radical-Left government as well, one with anti-globalist reflexes, confiscatory tax and anti-wealth policies, and possibly capital controls...

Some trade experts tell us with a straight face that Britain can still pursue a sovereign trade policy and do deals with the rest of the world. This is an empty truism. The US will walk away if we must maintain EU legal alignment... Prof Alan Winters from the UK Trade Policy Observatory at Sussex University says no country has ever succeeded in negotiating a comprehensive free trade accord for services in isolation...

For this mess of potage the UK must accept profound restrictions on self-government...The UK will be subject to the EU Acquis covering the environment, labour law, taxation, competition, state aid, and trade policy...

Brussels would be able to sell the British market to others as part of its negotiations with scant concern for our interests, and no democratic redress. The EU would control trade remedies and anti-dumping sanctions. We would lose all ability to shape trade preferences for the developing world, depriving the government of a crucial instrument of foreign policy. It is self-evidently unworkable...

The British people will rebel as soon as they discover what the small print implies...

The latest YouGov poll suggests that 44pc of voters already prefer a no-deal Brexit if nothing is agreed by April 12 - against 42pc for Remain. There is no popular tide in favour of accommodation...

The eurozone might well be in recession with no monetary defences since rates are already minus 0.4pc, no mechanism for extreme fiscal stimulus, and a broken banking system. It will be uncomfortably close to a debt-deflation crisis... is exposed for what it is.

Let us accept a no-deal, reshuffle the diplomatic pack, and determine what is true and what is not true...

Put all our efforts into a free trade deal with the US and into membership of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. At least we will be a self-governing democracy.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA