Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brexit no deal
27 July 2018, 20:51,
Brexit no deal
I see the government is trying to start a panic with the general population with the possibility of shortages of processed food, and of medicines, if there is not a brexit deal by next March. Details of some of the 300 contingency plans will be published over the next few weeks, they say.

I thought it was the duty of government to plan for every eventuality.

We’re already there, we’ve been doing it quietly for years, but it will be interesting to watch the reaction of the sheeple, thats if they have any thoughts at all.
28 July 2018, 14:02,
RE: Brexit no deal
Here are my thoughts Pete.........Tptb DO NOT want Brexit ...may is prime minister and a remainer ...she is now negotiating direct with the cabal , like a fox looking after chickens...she will sell us down the river like the piece of shit she is.....meanwhile on the other front the MM machine is whipping up FEAR to try and reinforce Mays short comings "to get a deal fit for ALL in the UK" ....nice moves after David Davies bailed out was the appointment of Rabb to carry on the negotiating ...a leave brexitier (only to be told 48 hours later to take a seat in the back room while May talked to the guys in long trousers )....now... maybe a second vote is required to break the deadlock ? what f..king deadlock ....why wait till next March ....LEAVE Today and give them F all ...don't worry about people of the UK.....we will be just fine... i see big troubles ahead , major trouble ....not for the UK ...but for the EU ....its falling apart ...it does not and never has worked (for the people) and if tptb think they can change the vote and will of the people of the UK ......there will be consequences the like that have never been seen before ....of that i am certain .
28 July 2018, 17:43,
Yes Tptb do not want brexit and will do anything to stop it. They are trying to frighten everyone and will do anything in an attempt to reverse it. But if we don’t leave the EU will we be dragged down when it collapses ?.

We know the EU is unstable and will collapse, it may take a generation, but what then ?, will it be like 1945 when we had years of rationing while we and the USA fed europe ?.

In the meantime we will need to tighten our belts as this country could be in for a rocky ride. But we can help ourselves be producing as much food as we can. We do this ourselves off course on a personal basis but the country must also, with modern agricultural practices we could be nearly self sufficient.

As for the government, they will hang on to power as long as they can, but what’s the alternative ?, the looney left ?, a pacifist controlling the forces and an anti-capitalist as chancellor of the exchequer, with the rest of the bunch not having an sensible thought between them.
28 July 2018, 19:21,
As for the government, they will hang on to power as long as they can, but what’s the alternative ?, the looney left ?, a pacifist controlling the forces and an anti-capitalist as chancellor of the exchequer, with the rest of the bunch not having an sensible thought between them.

I do believe our current political problems have been engineered ...and reflect what we now have...Corbyn is just a nothing ....along with Abbot the only difference between them is ...one does not say much and the other says much only to reveal she is indeed a total idiot....so you'r spot on Pete ....the evil of two lessors .....even if there was NO brexit .....the complete shower of shit sitting in both houses in Westminster... we would still have our work cut out to bring them into the realms of everyday peoples reality....Who could make a difference ? Jacob Mogg and Nigel Farage .....if only ! .......i really have to call a halt on stiffing this contact adhesive....its making me keep having sensible thoughts .
30 July 2018, 00:10,
Since I am not a part of, nor do I vote in your system, I will not state an opinion, except to agree with most of the views here.

The situation is so obvious as to be comical, yet they are getting away with it.
27 August 2018, 19:26,
Hello

I'm new and just joined. I'm wondering how long people on here think that any chaos may go on for? I saw in the papers the pharmacy companies were being told to stockpile an extra six weeks.

Are experienced preppers on here putting by enough food etc for 6 weeks or do you think any shortages may go on longer? (especially given the recent heatwaves causing veg shortages and if an hard winter follows too).

I'm used to putting extra food by for extreme weather in winter as I live rurally and getting deliveries/getting out is a problem in heavy snow (of which we usually get at least 2 weeks at least once) but I'm wondering how much extra to set aside to allow for chaos due to Brexit on top of another possible snowfall happening late March/April 2019 as it did this year.

Thanks

LV
27 August 2018, 22:05,
Business Insider is a respected publication which seems to hit close to the mark most of the time.

I agree that the doomsayers are those who hope to make a killing on "short sales" and they wish to create panic sell-offs and plunging prices which they can pro from.

While the picture is not entirely rosy, it is not as dire as some people would have you believe:

https://www.businessinsider.com/no-deal-...omy-2018-7

Some key points from the article:

The... government admitted it is stockpiling food and medicines in preparation for such an occurrence, and Trade Minister Liam Fox told Business Insider that Britain should "leave without a deal" if one has not been secured by the end of the Article 50 period...

Vicky Redwood, global economist at Capital Economics, argued that while "more extreme" warnings about the economic hit of no deal are being "overblown," a significant impact negative impact could still be expected.

"Although the more extreme warnings about the short-term impact of a 'no-deal' Brexit on the economy are overdone, there is little doubt that it could deal a reasonable blow to GDP growth next year," Redwood wrote to clients.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
27 August 2018, 22:36,
Hello and welcome LV .....my advice would be plan for the worst case ....if your funds allow ....buy extra food you normally eat , fill your freezer ....these things are easy (if you have the funds) if things pan out good you would have lost nothing.....if they pan out bad you still have lost nothing but gained some time .

Concentrate your efforts on the things you can control (water,food,shelter) especially if you are new to this the other stuff can come later ....if you try to do EVERYTHING all at once you will cock up ....other stuff like any medications you may use ....you will need ! .....three months worth to play it reasonable i would suggest.
28 August 2018, 08:24,
ok thanks. I did post on another section that I had actually found first when trying to find if others were stocking up on Thyroxine and where they maybe getting it from. As I'd found it in the US but it was expensive. In order to get the airmail free I was having to spend over £200, but wasn't really saving much either way by the time they'd added the import tax! I guess we should get used to these prices!

I've since found it elsewhere from an EU country so have ordered a small surplus for now. If I think it's looking worse than I anticipated regarding medication shortages I'll get some more Dec-Feb time before Brexit goes through (if it's not delayed).

At the minute I'm trying to replace stuff like clothes and getting the xmas shopping out of the way for now. I have picked up some food items too and have shop coming this week with extra tinned vegetables/potatoes/meat. I've been sorting mine into boxes ..anything dated 2018 has been staying in the cupboards to eat up first, 2019 on a shelf, 2020/201 in boxes that are taped up with their contents written on.

Seems like sellers are already on to the stockpiling thing. I bought a box of dehydrated veg and beans off Amazon earlier in the year and I'm sure it was just under £25 at the time, was going to get some more in, went to look and its now just under £50 for the same box!

I do have 2 small camping stoves that take camping gaz and a kelly kettle so I can cook simple meals and make tea/hot water bottles in the event of powercuts. I'll get some more camping gaz later as I haven't used the 2 boxes I got last year yet as we actually got through last winter without a single powercut! The twigs for the KK I collect when i take the dog out as there's always plenty about especially after a windy night up here!

Thinking of getting one of those solar charger things that can be hung in a window (or on a backpack) to charge USB devices and powerbanks as I have a large glass door to the back which gets the sun and would help with charging. Looking for a powerbank with a bit more power/storage for a laptop any recommendations? though I do have an ipad pro too so guess i could put 'pages' on that to work on as it will easier charge via USB.

Anyone know if you can buy a portable DVD player (with screen) with USB charging? I've only found one's with plugs. I'm hoping powercuts won't be too much of a problem as I'm currently having to use a mobility scooter for longer distances due to leg/circulation problems. (I can't drive so this is my only way to get round the villages for stuff) I'm hoping this will improved by next March so I can just get back to being able to walk the dog (at least once a day without spending the rest of the day in pain with a swollen leg) but it's too early to tell yet whether I've got permanent vein damage.

I'm hoping the govt if facing the choice of complete power cuts or rationing it to certain times would at least choose a limited time period (say 4-8hrs) so people can at least cook an hot meal, get a shower, charge a scooter etc! though mine takes 12 hours so might have to try and find a newer one with the lithium batteries that only take around 4 hrs to charge from flat. They aren't cheap though and it seems my CC company is leaving the UK. I got my last purchased declined and they are no longer using secure online messages to communicate with people, you can only phone them or write to head office which is a pain! I have a feeling the service is ending (happened with my last one too after building up a good credit limit then having to start again with a new card). I like to have one for emergency purchases/bills.

LV
28 August 2018, 17:00,
You have some special needs LV .....the scooter being major (if a power outage occurs ) but you may well be going OTT ....the ptb would indeed have plans in place (right now) for such a event , so do not worry to much on that scenario , you can get many different types of solar charging kits and many price ranges , concentrate on your real needs.....not your wants if money is tight.....i do not know enough to advise you on any particular system (everybody has different needs) .....first things first ...think of what you really NEED to get by and start from there....have a good look whats out there on the net (read all the feed back) then come back and ask members what they think before you buy anything (they may know more) so don't go in feet first ! .