Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EDC/GHB latest addition
6 August 2018, 19:38,
RE: EDC/GHB latest addition
Thank you both for your advice about the tent.

The vango force ten is a brilliant tent, I’ve seen photos of them being used at Everest base camp, and as you say it would be a shame to mess it about.

I will take your advice and if i need to hide it will use a tarp.
7 August 2018, 12:49,
Pete, I know that tent, my friend has one. We did some early spring camping in April. My tent is a dome type and really only a summer tent but I adapted it with an extra reinforced ground sheet but it was flapping around quite a bit in the wind. The Force Ten however was rock solid, hardly any movement.
7 August 2018, 15:06,
In later years the son mostly used the tent (as a scout leader).

Best time to erect eight minutes, in the dark on a windy and rainy night, pitch fly sheet first then the inner (keeps inner dry) in bad weather.

As you say rock solid when pegged out, i made up storm guys but they were never needed.
16 August 2018, 17:25,
Latest things i’ve dropped in edc daysac are handful of tea lights, a couple of packs of paper tissues and some alcohol hand sanitizer.
17 August 2018, 20:15,
Ditto on that Pete, I carry several packets of travel tissue, alchohol hand sanatiser, and water of course, almost everywhere I go.
18 August 2018, 04:01,
I was encouraged to re-do my GHB, in this case "get home box", over this week due to a need to change daily drivers.

I had to remove the emergency contents from the vehicle and then make a long drive which resulted in 20% improvement in gas mileage with the contents not in the vehicle.

You think I might be carrying too much crap?
18 August 2018, 15:33,
MB i wonder how big is your BO box, is it made from 1/4” steel plate ? does it contain a Harley ?.

Seriously on a long ride gas mileage is much better than on short runs as when shopping etc..

If the answer to the two questions is no you’re not carrying too much, only you know what you might need.
18 August 2018, 16:14,
I was driving an American Ford Escape, same size as any bog standard small SUV, and I had everything behind the back seat filled to level with the seat back.

1/3 of that was a 70L plastic container willed with small goods and enough food/water to last 72 hours, but there were also a change of clothes, road flares, hatchets, prybars and other essential goods. Also had an extra set of Welingtons, rain gear, sleeping bag and assorted polytarps outside the box and a two wheeled collapsible deer cart for transporting the lot since I am past the rucksack survival stage.

I also realized that I had three different slide in trailer hitches in the back and that alone had to weigh 25 kilo.

Things had gotten out of hand.

I went through the storage box, eliminated some things, added some newly acquired things and trimmed down some.

Still kept the deer cart. I might wind up paying some kid to drag my old arse home in that thing!
18 August 2018, 20:21,
I think we are all the same, we keep a lot of gear in our vehicles on an every day basis, but if we are planning a longer trip we tend to have a clear out.

Unfortunately this could be the time we need the extra gear, when our routine is different and we are further from home.
18 August 2018, 21:22,
What i tend to do is i have a three pack system the lightest pack is for local use (20 mile radius) the second up to (50 miles radius) and the third up to (150 miles) GHB,s and then BOB's and the same distance apply, the light bob relies being able to access caches close to home , the second relies on caches further out the third is my furthest cache and BOL which is tooled up for four months only ....as i posted back last year i lost one cache when solar panel company widened a gate in a field to gain access for big lorries ....and another cache on my ground this January on the east elevation....to be absolutely honest i have wasted more prepps at home ( talking tin cans here ) stuff sealed in mylar bags and oxy absorber's have had the best results and stored in barrels/kegs and 6" soil pipes are good for stealthy caches (most of which i use in outer locations ) because of ease of concealment and very little time or effort to get the cache set up.