Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EDC/GHB latest addition
18 August 2018, 21:56,
RE: EDC/GHB latest addition
BTW i remember MB buying that cart and me going to make one based on the idea ......braking news.....still have not got that done ......but i have got the parts to build it ....maybe this winter .
19 August 2018, 16:08,
(18 August 2018, 20:21)Pete Grey Wrote: I think we are all the same, we keep a lot of gear in our vehicles on an every day basis, but if we are planning a longer trip we tend to have a clear out.

Unfortunately this could be the time we need the extra gear, when our routine is different and we are further from home.

Usually I add to the vehicle gear before a long trip. Many of my camping /hunting/fishing trips are 1000 miles round trip. Often the route passes through more than one major urban area, and all of our major urban areas have become danger zones for any form of traveler.

Even the pen road has pearls, with long delays due to road conditions or accidents or road blocks with the added thought that if some disaster were to happen the highway system might be commandeered for military use. We often forget that our highway system over here in the States has an unusual history and purpose. It is actually a military highway network that civilians are "allowed" to use.

When you start talking about "getting home" from a destination 300-500 miles from the house you find out what your real thoughts on survival are. The food load of the vehicle has become standard, as well as the seasonal clothing and one of the two sleep systems. I carry a firearm on those trips, which is legal over here, and each time I am forced to consider what the geographic, environmental, social, and political factors are n regard to the decision. What firearm, how much ammo to add to the load,,,

This particular trip was different. I was taking the Ford to my son, who suddenly found himself without transportation. The whole rig had to be cleaned out and I found out just how much "gear" I normally keep in the rig. I had chem-lights and Lifestraws in every built in storage compartment and more in the big plastic box I spoke of! And no one really needs two pair of Wellingtons in the same rig.
19 August 2018, 19:08,
MB....In the UK a long journey is more like 200 miles, our urban areas are not danger zones but are traffic bottlenecks which often can’t be avoided (50 miles in 3 1/2 hours on the M6 last week).

You are right the further you are from home the more kit you may need to get back.

I like the way SS uses distances to calculate which GHB to carry.

I suppose the sensible thing to make sure we pack useful stuff, not duplicate things and not fill the boot with junk. As they say “must try harder”.
4 September 2018, 21:28,
Latest additions to GHB gear in daily runabout vehicle are syphon pump for fuel scavenging and crowbar also for scavenging (not burglary) must find a good hiding place for it.
20 September 2018, 13:50,
With our current weather cycle, torrential rain from storm Ali, i have strapped a 5M x 4M to each bag as a temporary measure until i can sort them properly.
21 September 2018, 08:44,
New car was my excuse to check modify and repack my GHB , new car has a nifty under floor cubby hole where my gear can live unseen , tis also about the time the winter bits go into the bag/boot , snow shovel/wellies/ski gloves and elmer fudd hat.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
21 September 2018, 09:00,
Vango force ten has been available in olive green for quite some time now and I believe all vango spares are still available as this tent still has a massive following and rightly so as it's a top drawer product , maybe buy an og flysheet for yours , I attend a motorcycle rally in the midlands first weekend in January called the force ten rally and there are always a goodly amount in use...I dust mine off and give it its one outing a year then(my usual tent that has superceded the force ten is a north face vector 22(not as sturdy but a fraction the size and weight) mmy GHB has a 2 man bothy bag in olive green.
21 September 2018, 16:42,
The Vango force ten is certainly not a lightweight, even split between two people you would not like to carry it far. But for a long term BO camp it would be ideal once you’d got there, preferably by car.

I’ve looked on the net and there are plenty people selling orange flysheets at around £150 but did not see any olive green. I have now got a large green tarp to disguise the tent, it was less than a tenner.

You can buy a lot of other kit for £150.
23 September 2018, 21:05,
Blacks of Greenock are selling the olive green nylon flywheel for the mk3 for £79.99, not sure which mark you have but i'm betting they could get one for you , reduce we the transit weight by 20%.
23 September 2018, 21:09,
Flysheet not flywheel