Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Nate
12 September 2018, 11:02,
RE: Hurricane Nate
I see the east coast is about to be hit with a hurricane ....i suppose you are all used to this type of extreme weather.....will it affect any of you members ? ...if so what actions do you plan on doing in preparation.....i have some room for tents down on the lower ground and loads of preserves,pickles,and chutney's even wine and beer....Hey comon over to my place .
12 September 2018, 13:11,
Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
638 AM EDT Wed Sep 12 2018
MDZ003>006-501>507-VAZ025>031-036>040-050-051-501>508-WVZ050>053-
055-501>506-131045-
Washington-Frederick MD-Carroll-Northern Baltimore-
Extreme Western Allegany-Central and Eastern Allegany-
Northwest Montgomery-Central and Southeast Montgomery-
Northwest Howard-Central and Southeast Howard-Northwest Harford-
Augusta-Rockingham-Shenandoah-Frederick VA-Page-Warren-Clarke-
Nelson-Albemarle-Greene-Madison-Rappahannock-Orange-Culpeper-
Northern Fauquier-Southern Fauquier-Western Highland-
Eastern Highland-Western Loudoun-Eastern Loudoun-
Northern Virginia Blue Ridge-Central Virginia Blue Ridge-
Hampshire-Morgan-Berkeley-Jefferson-Hardy-Western Grant-
Eastern Grant-Western Mineral-Eastern Mineral-Western Pendleton-
Eastern Pendleton-
638 AM EDT Wed Sep 12 2018

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for eastern West Virginia,
northern and central Virginia, and central and western Maryland
with the exception of Garrett County.

DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

Consult the latest Flood Warnings for information regarding
flooding on the Potomac River.

DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Thursday through Tuesday

Consult the latest guidance and information from the National
Hurricane Center concerning Hurricane Florence. The potential
local impact is locally heavy rainfall which may lead to isolated
flooding.

SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation is not expected at this time.

The flood warning continues for the following rivers in
Maryland...West Virginia...

Potomac River at Shepherdstown affecting Washington...Berkeley and Jefferson Counties

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Never attempt to drive through a flooded roadway...this is how most flood deaths result.

Stay tuned to developments by listening to NOAA Weather radio...
television or radio stations...or visit our website at weather.gov.
You can also find us on Facebook by searching U.S. National Weather
Service Baltimore Washington.

&&

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
12 September 2018, 15:13,
This one will give wind to CH and probably more rain to me. We are both in the inland area that will be affected.

These storm are often 1500 miles diameter so the outer bands reach us quite easily. The worst storm and longest damage I have ever seen was hurricane Ike back in 2008 when storm damage put our electricity out of use for more than a week and I am 1000 miles inland.

Last week we had the last dregs of a hurricane sweep through and set a record rainfall amount for a single day. That one came 1500 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. We got about 20cm of rain in two days.

This one is hitting an area that is not really used to hurricane force storms. Everyone on the east coast knows they could happen but that area is not usually in the target path.

I am sure some folks will not be ready for the storm since preparedness is not a major part of life from most people. So we will have the stories of people too stupid to stay alive whining because the government did not do enough to stop global warming and prevent their stupidity.

Pictures will feature multi million dollar homes along the coast that are insured at government expense being washed away. Also wet cats and dogs will be featured to raise money for the animal shelters and possibly old folks will be wheeled out of their rest home through ankle deep water, that is always a good shot!
12 September 2018, 15:17,
BTW this storm has been tracked very well for more than a week.

There has been plenty of warning and anyone on the coast that has not evacuated already is a moron just waiting to die.
13 September 2018, 09:24,
MB CH will you be boarding up window frames or are you out of range of the worst of it ? or do you plan on leaving the area? ....reports here are calling it a monster ! its 9.20 am here right now.....you see any action yet ? .....you both take care.
13 September 2018, 15:37,
All I will do is make sure there are fresh batteries in the torch and probably stock up on extra snacks today during my normal grocery run just so I will not run out during the heavy rains coming during the weekend.

All other contingencies are covered by normal preps. Window covers and sandbags are not part of my hurricane preps. They would be needed for the first 50-100 miles inland from the coast.

About the worst thing that could happen to me would be a "spin off tornado" landing on top of me. That would suck!
13 September 2018, 18:36,
Latest plots have the storm turning south. We aren't expecting much but a little rain now:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic...s#contents

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
14 September 2018, 14:33,
Yes it is turning south and has come ashore now.

That means it will have to travel overland and lose power before it turns north and swings over me.

I will get residual rain, these storms usually drop 5-10cm, probably tomorrow or Sunday.

Right now it is sunny with blue sky outside. Not even a breeze.
14 September 2018, 15:23,
Article in this morning's Military Times regarding the ramp-up for Florence:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-...rd%20Brief

Amphibious warships Kearsarge and Arlington are literally pursuing Hurricane Florence to shore, and will begin the now so-familiar rooftop rescues along the Carolinas and wider area as soon as the storm subsides, the top general for homeland defense said Thursday.

The ships are part of the 7,000 combined National Guard and active duty personnel who have formed a pre-positioned net around the country’s eastern coast, ready to perform rescues with high-water military trucks and helicopters.

Air Force Gen. Terrence O’Shaughnessy, commander of North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command, said that “we have quite literally surrounded the expected affected area with the DoD capability that will be critical in hours and days following the storms impact."

To speed response to the storm, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis took the step of activating dual-status commanders in South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia to be able command active duty and Guard forces, and “pre-authorized [movement of troops] so there would be no delay in responding to requests when we receive [them],” said assistant secretary of defense for homeland defense Kenneth Rapuano. The same pre-authorizations were approved for hurricanes Harvey and Maria, Pentagon spokesman Army Lt. Col. Jamie Davis.

Several thousand additional forces are on “prepare to deploy” orders in case the first 7,000 need to be augmented, O’Shaughnessy said.

There are a slew of land-based rescue assets staged at area bases as well, including:

Satellites from the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency will be used to provide post-storm assessments;

Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia; Joint Base Bragg, North Carolina; North Artillery Field, South Carolina; and Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama will be used as staging areas;

Fort Stewart, Georgia, and Fort Campbell, Kentucky, have companies of light medium tactical vehicles staged, with a total of 240 high-water vehicles ready to begin rescues. Fort Bragg has an additional 40 high-water vehicles it will provide.

Hunter Army Airfield, Georgia, has 35 helicopters ready for search-and-rescue operations, as does Fort Bliss, Texas; Fort Bragg has seven helicopters;

Moody Air Force Base, Georgia, an Air Force search-and-rescue package with six HH-60s; two HC-130s and four pararescue teams ready to assist; and there are back up teams at Moody from Patrick Air Force Base in case additional asset are needed;

Tyndall Air Force Base will provide airborne command and control through JSTARS E-8 surveillance planes.

Throughout Thursday, Coast Guard crews continued to stage shallow water urban search and rescue boats, helicopters and other key pieces of equipment near the ports of Augusta and Savannah in Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina, areas deemed just out of reach of the hurricane.

After pilots flew their HC-130 planes out of Station Elizabeth Station in North Carolina to avoid potential destruction, Coast Guard crews packed their hangars with boats to wait out the storm and resume rescue operations as soon as the winds and flooding receded.

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA