Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How old is your rig?
14 August 2018, 14:43,
How old is your rig?
I just paid the annual tax fees to keep the Jeep on the road and had a serious discussion with my insurance agent.

My Jeep is now 21 years old and is for all practical purposes a garden ornament.

It runs, it goes, it stops, it climbs trees and swims rivers, but only to the tune of about 1000 miles a year, and I am paying the same price for insurance as I do on my daily driver.

Like myself, as it ages I find more time being spent on keeping it going than on going somewhere in it.

The real problem is that my model is no longer in production and Jeep has not made a comparable product since they stopped making the model I have. So I chase problems and watch small things I can not control fall apart with age so that the vehicles still operates, but not with the efficiency or convenience it once did, again, much like myself.

When does one declare their favorite vehicle "too old to fool with"?

I keep seeing that comic drawing of the WW2 cavalry soldier preparing to shoot his broken down Jeep!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear...tion=click
14 August 2018, 16:21,
RE: How old is your rig?
Our daily runabout is 17 years old, well worn and worth about £200, everything works and is kept up to scratch, as faults occur they are put right. I never worry about spending money on it as it does all we want, and with a new vehicle depreciation would be a lot more. If we were caught up in an event, we will probably grab our GHBs and walk away and get safe.

Camper van is 16 years old and in excellent condition, this would be our BOV.

The MG is 45 years old and we can get any part we need for it from the owners club.
14 August 2018, 16:42,
I sold my two Mitsubishi's (Pajero) a year back 1992 and 1993 both 2.8 diesel T C and miss them very much although the engines and auto gearbox were bullet proof bits started to fail ....hence they had to go , my current garden ornament is a Suzuki Vitara 2007 its okay (just changed the ABS pump ) ...simple enough ....and now i can stop in an emergency without the assistance of the handbrake ! this thing is a stick shift as you yanks call them ....only a 1.9 diesel but it does what i can get away with and pulls the trailer with no effort , should see me out ....but a far cry from the bitchy .
14 August 2018, 19:10,
I am owned by a Landrover Defender 2.5tdi. It must be getting on for 20 years old, or so, but keeps going and does all the dirty work. It'a a bit like having an old friend....
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
14 August 2018, 20:33,
(14 August 2018, 16:21)Pete Grey Wrote: Our daily runabout is 17 years old, well worn and worth about £200, everything works and is kept up to scratch, as faults occur they are put right. I never worry about spending money on it as it does all we want, and with a new vehicle depreciation would be a lot more. If we were caught up in an event, we will probably grab our GHBs and walk away and get safe.

Camper van is 16 years old and in excellent condition, this would be our BOV.

The MG is 45 years old and we can get any part we need for it from the owners club.

Didn’t say but runabout is a Citroen Saxo.
14 August 2018, 22:00,
(14 August 2018, 14:43)Mortblanc Wrote: ...My Jeep is now 21 years old and is for all practical purposes a garden ornament...So I chase problems and watch small things I can not control fall apart with age so that the vehicles still operates, but not with the efficiency or convenience it once did, again, much like myself. When does one declare their favorite vehicle "too old to fool with"?

I drove my 1984 AMC-Jeep until 2000, when I traded it for a 2000 model year Cherokee Sport 6 cyl., which I am still driving to the tune of about 3500 miles per year and I am blessed with a good mechanic at the dealership who keeps it running affordably. It has 200,000 miles on it. Service manager says that the Jeep models are junk, and that if I stay on top of the important stuff and do nothing stupid I should expect to get 250,000 miles out of my current vehicle. Then to decide whether to put a new engine in it and carry on, or to look for something else.

My daily driver is a 2008 Toyota Matrix, a four-door hatch back built on the Corrola
chassis, similar in size to a VW Polo. It has been reliable and has 150,000 miles on it.

I dread having to replace either.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
14 August 2018, 22:58,
I was just outside putting fresh refrigerant gas into the "hot rod" Sentra. I had a little left and decided to see if the Jeep would still make cold air.

The poor thing sucked that gas into the system and 30 seconds latter was blowing snow out the vents.

I am in the same place you are CH. A 1997 Cherokee 4L with 175k and burning no oil and now mechanically sound. I just had new brakes put on last year and a new front end 4 years ago. Tires were replaced 5 years back and do not have 5k on them. The tread is still sharp.

I have the sneaky suspicion that in about 10 years that vehicle will still be sitting in the driveway and I will still be wondering when it will die.

I have owned 5-6 Jeeps over the years and put over 200k on two of them and do not know about the 1948 MB, since it had seen government use, been sold as surplus and used seriously for 24 years before I bought it back in 1972. I traded it for a new Jeep model when I graduated from college and went to the Army.

Now if I could figure out a way to put those big off road tires on that Sentra, along with the cactus smasher and Lucas lights off the old Ford, I would be on the way to the WRC. I wonder how much of the sun roof my expedition roof rack would cover?
14 August 2018, 23:57,
(14 August 2018, 22:58)Mortblanc Wrote: ...I am in the same place you are CH...I have the sneaky suspicion that in about 10 years that vehicle will still be sitting in the driveway and I will still be wondering when it will die...

Yeah, my mechanic says he can keep my 2000 model going as long as parts are still available for it. Gave up on the A/C, not worth money to fix, so I don't drive it on hot summer days, only in winter and otherwise to the shooting range or Home Depot. Because it isn't a frequent driver I keep Seafoam in it to avoid any problems with condensation in the tank or stale gas. I won't E15 gas in it but drive over to Virginia to get E0 non-ethanol gas at the Southern States Co-Op. Put new radiator, aux cooling fan and heater core in it last winter and new Cooper A/TW tires http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-a-tw_suv.aspx

Toyota ricebox is economical and reliable, and gets good mileage, is peppy. It runs well on the ethanol-blend gas and drives like a sports car, fun ride as long as the snow isn't deeper than 10cm. I run Dunlop SP Winter Sport tires on it, which give great rain performance on the Interstate as well as performing well in moderate mud & snow on our rural local roads in all must the worst winter "Jeep" weather.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
15 August 2018, 14:14,
The body on my Jeep is solid, no rust anywhere, but it is begging for a paint job that would cost more than the vehicle is worth.

I have been threatening to do a camo pattern on it for years, except the base color is dark blue and I do not really want an Air Force camo scheme on it!
15 August 2018, 21:56,
my old Mitsubishi l200 keeps plodding on.2002 model keeps passing the mot and can still get parts.very rarely needs anything