Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRE Menu 16: Chicken Burrito Bowl
22 September 2018, 16:02,
RE: MRE Menu 16: Chicken Burrito Bowl
Switch to cider.

Let it freeze, throw away the ice so only the unfrozen alcohol remains, drink the concentrate.
22 September 2018, 19:04,
Gosh, it's like reading something in code...... what is "ham with MFs"?, and an "esbit"? Sounds quite exciting...
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
22 September 2018, 20:04,
MaryN,

It would not be proper to give a lady the literal translation of the American black urban slang. Let me clarify for those familiar with the classics, that it would refer to Ham and Lima Beans as could have been eaten by the tragic hero Oedipus...

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
22 September 2018, 23:06,
(22 September 2018, 16:02)Mortblanc Wrote: Switch to cider.

Let it freeze, throw away the ice so only the unfrozen alcohol remains, drink the concentrate.

Isn’t that how you make Apple Jack ?.
23 September 2018, 08:29,
Got it, CH! Well, tut!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
23 September 2018, 15:10,
Yes the term code is for ham and mother-f#^&ers.

And esbit refers to the small folding metal stove used with heat cubes.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/productl...40eeb3629f

And yes that is how you make apple jack. The freezing to concentrate th alcohol is the "Jacking" process.
23 September 2018, 15:20,
As for the term used in ethnic slang there is an old joke about that.

Big brother comes in the house and Mother announces "Baby Jethro said a half a word today!"

He did? What did he say?

He said Mother!

For persons not used to strong language entering the military can be quite a shock. I would estimate that more than half the verbage tossed about is needless and habitual swearing. Everything is prefixed with MF or F, GD and anything not specifically labeled is a "pile of S" including most of the people in that general area.

I knew one Special Forces Sgt who when asked if he spoke any languages other than English replied that he was fluent in profanity and vulgarity!
23 September 2018, 16:01,
Go Outdoors sell 2 kinds of esbit type stove, the fire dragon and the yellowstone, both under a fiver, i haven’t seen any cheaper.
23 September 2018, 18:57,
An alternative to the Esbit stove is the Natick Cooker. The canteen cup stove/stand was introduced during World War II, based on a design covered by a U.S. Patent issued in 1941. It was designed to nest with the stainless steel canteen cup, and store in the case with the US canteen to provides a way, in the field, to heat water, rations, or other food and drinks.

The WW2 version of the canteen cup stove/stand had standard nomenclature Stand, Heating, Cup, Canteen with Stock No. 74-S-329-500 and Spec. JQD 621. It was described in QM 3-1: "This stand supports a full canteen cup or a "C" ration can at a height suitable for heading its contents by means of heat tablets, Sterno or other commonly available source of heat. Wt. 0.12 lb."

The currently issued item is identified as NSN 8465-01-250-3632
https://preparednessadvice.com/wp-conten...oBoil1.jpg

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
24 September 2018, 14:58,
Or you can do the deed as we did 40 years back.

Cut off a cube of C4 explosive with your pocket knife. Scrape a shallow trench about two fingers wide in the ground. Place C4 in the trench and light it with one of the matches from your C-rat. Place can or canteen cup over trench and cook.

No stove needed. I guess heat tabs would work too. I did use three pebbles and a heat tab on the ground surface once.

I used to use a tuna can and hand sanitizer a few years back. Have also used PGA and rubbing alcohol.

You just have to use your head but the nice thing about the esbit stove and tabs in the vehicle is there, it is there it is cheap, it appears more civilized.