Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cyber attack
17 October 2018, 17:16,
RE: cyber attack
Just about anything that will operate off paraffin will also use good vehicle grade diesel. Which means that any vehicle with diesel marked on the side of it is a potential home fuel storage unit. Even a vehicle that has run dry will have a quart of more of fuel which the fuel pump can not pick up.

And if you are concerned with the stink then you are not in a SHTF situation.

What people choose to complain about in a life or death situation is beyond my comprehension!

But as to the length of the disturbance, that is up for debate. If an attack shuts down the electrical grid that can be put right in a short time. If an attack overloads the grid and blows all of the main components of a system that could take a year!

Right now the U.S. is still trying to restore complete service to the Island of Puerto Rico after the hurricane that occurred one year ago. They have main lines in place but the outlying areas are still under repair.

Repairing a few blown parts, turning things back on after they have been turned off, or restoring the main lines is a relatively fast process. Replacing an entire system is not. Imagine replacing every transformer on the entire grid of an entire nation! I will guarantee that the replacement units would have to be imported from around the world.
17 October 2018, 17:51,
(17 October 2018, 17:16)Mortblanc Wrote: Just about anything that will operate off paraffin will also use good vehicle grade diesel. Which means that any vehicle with diesel marked on the side of it is a potential home fuel storage unit. Even a vehicle that has run dry will have a quart of more of fuel which the fuel pump can not pick up.

And if you are concerned with the stink then you are not in a SHTF situation.

What people choose to complain about in a life or death situation is beyond my comprehension!

But as to the length of the disturbance, that is up for debate. If an attack shuts down the electrical grid that can be put right in a short time. If an attack overloads the grid and blows all of the main components of a system that could take a year!

Right now the U.S. is still trying to restore complete service to the Island of Puerto Rico after the hurricane that occurred one year ago. They have main lines in place but the outlying areas are still under repair.

Repairing a few blown parts, turning things back on after they have been turned off, or restoring the main lines is a relatively fast process. Replacing an entire system is not. Imagine replacing every transformer on the entire grid of an entire nation! I will guarantee that the replacement units would have to be imported from around the world.

my thoughts exactly, i also include on my list of fuel sources home heating oil witch is of coarse kerosene and runs the heaters perfectly with just a bit more of a smell but that does not bother me at all, and if total grid down there will be a hole load of that sitting in tanks that cant be used
17 October 2018, 20:55,
In the 70s we had two Valor “vector” paraffin heaters, paraffin at the time was if i remember rightly just 11 pence per gallon, then with the 1979 fuel crisis the price tripled ( but paraffin was still economical - no tax).

What made us give up oil heating was one time i did not fit the chimney correctly and smoke and soot filled the house, the heater would not cut out and my wife carried it outside fortunately without getting burned.

After we had cleaned and decorated where nesessary we had gas central heating fitted. Since then i have never used oil heaters or lamps indoors nor do i ever intend too.

We have loads of tea lights and some lanterns that take them (£1.50 each) completely safe. Wind up led lanterns are also very useful.

As for heating we have mains gas central heating, if the electricity is cut off so is the heating. I don’t think 12 volts into an inverter would work, but we have nearly 2 tonnes of smokeless solid fuel with which we can cook as well as heat the bungalow.
18 October 2018, 08:10,
(17 October 2018, 20:55)Pete Grey Wrote: In the 70s we had two Valor “vector” paraffin heaters, paraffin at the time was if i remember rightly just 11 pence per gallon, then with the 1979 fuel crisis the price tripled ( but paraffin was still economical - no tax).

What made us give up oil heating was one time i did not fit the chimney correctly and smoke and soot filled the house, the heater would not cut out and my wife carried it outside fortunately without getting burned.

After we had cleaned and decorated where nesessary we had gas central heating fitted. Since then i have never used oil heaters or lamps indoors nor do i ever intend too.

We have loads of tea lights and some lanterns that take them (£1.50 each) completely safe. Wind up led lanterns are also very useful.

As for heating we have mains gas central heating, if the electricity is cut off so is the heating. I don’t think 12 volts into an inverter would work, but we have nearly 2 tonnes of smokeless solid fuel with which we can cook as well as heat the bungalow.

the problem i have is we have no mains gas here on the island so the central heating is run by air source heat pumps and no chimney to have a open fire or burner so i had to figure out a source of heat that would be easily sustainable in the event of a long term problem, when i was a kid all we had was paraffin heaters and we never had any problems with them at all, i think a lot of the problems people have with them is down to maintenance, if you look after them they will last forever, the ones i use now are from the 50s and still going strong
18 October 2018, 10:19,
You are right to point out the importance of maintenance Roddas ...or should i say the total lack of it....when in their prime of use most All homes owned one
even miners homes had one (used upstairs ) in winter....one of my jobs was cleaning and trimming all wicks and freeing up wheel winders .....and the miners lamp in the outside loo (to stop the systern and pipes freezing up ) ...and the old potato sacks tied with bailing cord and wrapped around everything to insulate from the frost ....back then people looked after what they had (twas hard earned to get anything) and when you got stuff ....you bloody well looked after it , you maintained what you had.....very different these days .....there is NO interest in maintenance on ANYTHING ....no practical life skills are being taught at schools...(or even handed down ) from family members ....the old ways have been cast aside for the new kid on the block ....progress ....what i have a problem with most ...is the willingness of people to embrace anything new and the speed at which they totally abandon
their morals , along with anything old hat ....including this old sucker !...back in my box !
18 October 2018, 11:52,
(18 October 2018, 10:19)Straight Shooter Wrote: You are right to point out the importance of maintenance Roddas ...or should i say the total lack of it....when in their prime of use most All homes owned one
even miners homes had one (used upstairs ) in winter....one of my jobs was cleaning and trimming all wicks and freeing up wheel winders .....and the miners lamp in the outside loo (to stop the systern and pipes freezing up ) ...and the old potato sacks tied with bailing cord and wrapped around everything to insulate from the frost ....back then people looked after what they had (twas hard earned to get anything) and when you got stuff ....you bloody well looked after it , you maintained what you had.....very different these days .....there is NO interest in maintenance on ANYTHING ....no practical life skills are being taught at schools...(or even handed down ) from family members ....the old ways have been cast aside for the new kid on the block ....progress ....what i have a problem with most ...is the willingness of people to embrace anything new and the speed at which they totally abandon
their morals , along with anything old hat ....including this old sucker !...back in my box !

thankfully i dont believe in throwing anything away, if it can be repaired i will fix it, and that is also something i am teaching my 2 year old son, well will be as we go along, i believe the shtf situation will happen at some point no matter what it is, and i think its a good skill to have to be able to repair and maintain what we have already, the disposable world we live in today will not last forever
18 October 2018, 16:45,
Yes maintenance of all fires, heaters and lamps with an actual flame is essential, to protect us from fire and also prevent fumes and deadly carbon monoxide.

Getting back to the mail thread of cyber attack, our banking system is very vulnerable to attack, cash machines could be switched off, bank computers could be wiped. Keep all your bank statements up to date so you can prove your savings.

Keep a cash reserve say £200 for emergencies if cash machines go down, if you can get gold, even a couple of sovereigns or four half sovereigns it’s a backstop.
18 October 2018, 17:23,
(18 October 2018, 16:45)Pete Grey Wrote: Yes maintenance of all fires, heaters and lamps with an actual flame is essential, to protect us from fire and also prevent fumes and deadly carbon monoxide.

Getting back to the mail thread of cyber attack, our banking system is very vulnerable to attack, cash machines could be switched off, bank computers could be wiped. Keep all your bank statements up to date so you can prove your savings.

Keep a cash reserve say £200 for emergencies if cash machines go down, if you can get gold, even a couple of sovereigns or four half sovereigns it’s a backstop.

i keep a very close eye on all the news, most of it is probably a load of rubbish but some of it does get me thinking, to be honest i think just about everything could be attacked at any given moment not necessarily by a some other country that might have the ump with us but also by some little spotty kid sitting in his mums house on a computer, and now we have the AI thing to add into the mix as well, not to sure i like the idea of machines making the decisions.
18 October 2018, 21:21,
Anyone have change for a gold half sovereign?

No, well you are in luck because what I have that is what you were needing will cost you exactly one gold half sovereign!

Only I can not imagine how a market economy will work in a world gone to bartering. What would one do with a gold sovereign? I suppose one could drill a hole in it and hang it around his lady's neck as a trinket.

BTW is the entire world going to shut down our just your little corner of it?
18 October 2018, 22:08,
(18 October 2018, 21:21)Mortblanc Wrote: Anyone have change for a gold half sovereign?

No, well you are in luck because what I have that is what you were needing will cost you exactly one gold half sovereign!

Only I can not imagine how a market economy will work in a world gone to bartering. What would one do with a gold sovereign? I suppose one could drill a hole in it and hang it around his lady's neck as a trinket.

BTW is the entire world going to shut down our just your little corner of it?

The asian guy in the local convenience store will always be willing to accept a little gold, but i was not thinking of shopping with it but as a backup if things go pear shape.