Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cyber attack
18 October 2018, 22:24,
RE: cyber attack
BTW is the entire world going to shut down our just your little corner of it?

Unfortunately any country with a central banking system that uses fiat money, the reset is already underway....buy more ammo MB !
19 October 2018, 08:47,
(18 October 2018, 22:24)Straight Shooter Wrote: BTW is the entire world going to shut down our just your little corner of it?

Unfortunately any country with a central banking system that uses fiat money, the reset is already underway....buy more ammo MB !

yes i also believe it has begun, maybe it will happen slowly or maybe it will just all collapse over night, who knows, but one thing i do know i cant afford to be concerned about weather its the entire world or not, i just have to worry about the tiny little bit that has me and my family in it, thats the only bit i can do something about
19 October 2018, 19:04,
[/quote]

The asian guy in the local convenience store will always be willing to accept a little gold, but i was not thinking of shopping with it but as a backup if things go pear shape.
[/quote]

Oh, I see.

You are planning on sitting there with your doors locked and your one candle lit pulling your stash of coins from beneath the floorboards and looking at them, counting them over and over while waiting for things to "go pear shaped".

Gentlemen we just emerged from the worst financial readjustment the world has seen in nearly 100 years. Neither the British nor the American financial systems collapsed and we did not return to the barter economy of the dark ages.

Yet the fear of "THE BIG ONE" lingers near and dear to our hearts.

You have now reverted to the one liners and sound bite type talk that has been the rally cry for book sellers of survival manuals of the past 50 years. They are the ones who get rich from the eternal paranoia of the prepper community who are waiting for the "crash" that never comes.

What to do? What to do?

It seems the answer to survival is now as it was in the 1930s during the Great Depression, our latest "Great Recession" of 2007-2017 and all that have occurred in between (and there has been a major adjustment every 9-11 years); own your home free and clear, own your vehicles free and clear, avoid credit use, and keep your employment training up to date to secure stability of income.

If you are not a person that has been able to place themselves into a stable ownership situation the long term strategy is different. You should be in an employment situation that is in demand and be willing to move to where the work is located.

Throughout human history the only sure fire, guarenteed long term survival strategy has been possessing a skill set that is in demand and migrating to where that demand is located.

That is advice for all centuries and situations, not just prepping for "the big one".
19 October 2018, 20:32,
MB i do believe i know more about life in the UK than you, and i am more aware how events would effect us here. Different preps are required for different risks.

Yes i own my home, cars are free from finance, i have no credit card debts, i’m not rich but am comfortably off.

I am better prepared now than i have ever been, and am satisfied i can maintain our preps and improve them as i see fit.

I think it is provident to keep items of value in case there is a problem with debit cards, cash machines or banks, i surgest a little gold, a half sovereign is about £115 at the moment.

If you like, stick to your Beans, Bullets and Bandades, but that’s not the answer to every problem, especially in the UK.
19 October 2018, 23:33,
To be honest...how any individual prepares and prioritises their needs is truly their affair ....not withstanding the basics which MUST be covered FIRST ! so what are the basics ? .....when ever precious metals are mentioned on this forum there are conflicting views ...that's fair enough as MB eludes too ...if you hold coinage ....it would most likely determine a set price based on coin amounts (and not the coins true value) .....but as Pete also eludes too (i think) is the fact that gold,silver is a store of wealth , something to hold until such time it can realise true value (as it has for thousands of years) there will ALWAYS be a market for metals .....i think its an excellent hedge .....most people would trade trinkets initially anyway .....rings watches bracelets pendants.....coins or bars would be the last thing you would part with .
20 October 2018, 11:49,
Ok, so my two pence worth:

Even with the Gold Market being highly manipulated with paper contacts, gold is still an excellent hedge against a downturn in enquities and the US dollar - this has been evidenced over just the last 10 days as it's price has increased by about $40, merely on Trump's disagreement with the Fed over increasing interest rates and a fall in equities and the US dollar.

My take on it is that the US, and then following UK, equities market will take ever bigger hits over the coming months as Trump is playing the game of squeezing the Chinese economy who (as a manufacturing led economy) will not be able the take the hit nearly as well as the US (as a service led economy). The other natural consequence is the dollar devaluation leading to more competitive exports (America First Agenda) therby threatening the weakened Chinese economy (the Chinese stock markets by the way are being decimated at this time).

The upshot is that gold is likely to increase in value, by how much who knows, but following the 2008 crash it peaked at about $1,900 an ounce in 2009 before being manipulated down by the banks, who were paid by the government to short the paper stocks, thereby driving down the price. It's currently around $1,225 an ounce.

Now if this really does cause a major catastrophe wherby it got so bad that not even gold would be of any value, as it can't be eaten (but has already been mentioned, the last crash of 2008 didn't cause this to happen) then it would still be worth holding gold as it could be sold at a point when the value has increased significantly from the time it was purchased before that might happen, and provide liquid cash to exchange for more physical preps.

Therefore prepping contains a plethora of scenarios that need to be analysed by each person and a plan of action determined for each stage of a possible crisis - the timing of course is the crucial thing.
21 October 2018, 09:11,
i can see the the reasons for holding gold and the likes but for us it is not really a priority other than to use it for a savings type investment, due to my location which is a tiny 2.7 square mile island with a total population of 143 including us. there is only one small shop for supplies and we spend a lot of time cut off from everything over winter, anyway my point is that i would have nothing or nowhere to use gold at all, thats why i concentrate more on the bartering side of things instead of gold or other investments, and i keep no money in the banks at all, as soon as it goes in i withdraw the lot so cash is always available
22 October 2018, 08:59,
(16 October 2018, 17:18)roddas Wrote:
(16 October 2018, 16:48)Pete Grey Wrote: I think if an enemy state did make a cyber attack it would be at the infrastructure of the country, affecting power distribution or the other services ( water, sewage, gas, vehicle fuel distribution, hospitals etc)

As such if we personally have prepared for an EMP event (as part of our normal preps) which is a worst case scenario, and the possibility of internet being shut down we should use an attack to test our preps.

A cyber attack would probably not result in long term disruption maybe a month to get to a more normal situation and get things moving, but if we can’t stop it we can learn from it.

i agree with you, one of my major preps is for grid down regardless for how long, my system gets put through its paces a lot due to my location, i now have it just how i want it with enough power to last as long as is needed, i have a rather unusual battery bank that is made up of wet cell nicads that last for decades so they will out last me thats for sure, and i have a second bank of them in reserve if needed, i have enough solar and wind power to recharge the bank very quickly, even so i have sized the battery band to last 3 days minimum without any charge at all

Hi roddas

Your power set up sounds very interesting. I have a small to medium scale solar system using lead acid deep cycle batteries.

If you have time would appreciate if you could go into a bit more of the technical details, such as how you charge the wet cell nicads from the solar/wind power. Do you use a special regulator? Can you still buy wet cell nicads brand new, I thought the EU banned their sale except for replacing them on older systems?

LAC
22 October 2018, 09:16,
(22 October 2018, 08:59)LAC Wrote:
(16 October 2018, 16:48)Pete Grey Wrote: I think if an enemy state did make a cyber attack it would be at the infrastructure of the country, affecting power distribution or the other services ( water, sewage, gas, vehicle fuel distribution, hospitals etc)

As such if we personally have prepared for an EMP event (as part of our normal preps) which is a worst case scenario, and the possibility of internet being shut down we should use an attack to test our preps.

A cyber attack would probably not result in long term disruption maybe a month to get to a more normal situation and get things moving, but if we can’t stop it we can learn from it.

i agree with you, one of my major preps is for grid down regardless for how long, my system gets put through its paces a lot due to my location, i now have it just how i want it with enough power to last as long as is needed, i have a rather unusual battery bank that is made up of wet cell nicads that last for decades so they will out last me thats for sure, and i have a second bank of them in reserve if needed, i have enough solar and wind power to recharge the bank very quickly, even so i have sized the battery band to last 3 days minimum without any charge at all

Hi roddas

Your power set up sounds very interesting. I have a small to medium scale solar system using lead acid deep cycle batteries.

If you have time would appreciate if you could go into a bit more of the technical details, such as how you charge the wet cell nicads from the solar/wind power. Do you use a special regulator? Can you still buy wet cell nicads brand new, I thought the EU banned their sale except for replacing them on older systems?

LAC

hi LAC
there are sites online that you can still buy wet cell nicads but they are major amounts of money, a bank of ten will set you back well over a grand maybe closer to two grand, i was lucky i got my lot for free and had to re-condition them which is not hard to do, as for charging them they are very easy to use with wind and solar even though there is not really any charge controllers that will work with them, it is very simple to make a unit that works a treat and i have been running it for years without any problems at all, due to there very low internal resistance you dont need as much solar and wind as you would with lead acid as the nicads charge very fast
22 October 2018, 16:36,
(22 October 2018, 09:16)roddas Wrote:
(22 October 2018, 08:59)LAC Wrote:

Hi roddas

LAC

hi LAC
there are sites online that you can still buy wet cell nicads but they are major amounts of money, a bank of ten will set you back well over a grand maybe closer to two grand, i was lucky i got my lot for free and had to re-condition them which is not hard to do, as for charging them they are very easy to use with wind and solar even though there is not really any charge controllers that will work with them, it is very simple to make a unit that works a treat and i have been running it for years without any problems at all, due to there very low internal resistance you dont need as much solar and wind as you would with lead acid as the nicads charge very fast

Thanks, that's got me thinking. Another way i've been looking into is creating a battery bank of 18650 Li-Ion batteries, and apparently there are now Li-Ion solar regulators available now.