Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bows - A basic guide to different types
28 October 2011, 14:42,
RE: Bows - A basic guide to different types
I tend to be a bit of a traditionalist, i have got a couple of longbows, a stock of arrows and even a leather quiver. i think the point i want to make is that having a bow and arrows as well as an air rifle is a good thing to do, in that after TSHTF you may need to go hunting but may be aware that there are people in the area and dont want to give away your position.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 October 2011, 14:52,
sorry lads and lasses but i don't like bows, i do have a bow but just don't like it i prefer crossbows
to win the war, you must be willing to die
28 October 2011, 15:24,
Yeah I prefer the compact size and lower levels of skill required to use a crossbow, I do like Compound bows for hunting, but as a tactical weapon I would choose a 125 LB compound crossbow , Silence is beautiful in the world of the prepper.

28 October 2011, 16:51,
I like the idea of xbows as well, it's just the cost of a decent one that is the problem. You can buy a good Bow for under £100 but you will struggle finding a good xbow for the same money. I found plenty of xbows, pistol and standard, for under £150 but when i checked on a dedicated xbow forum I was warned off them and told if I wanted something built well and long lasting I would be looking at £300 +.
28 October 2011, 17:00,
i dont like crossbows, i'm told there are problems with pulling back the string need to be built like "arnie" in some cases, also if you lose a bolt thats it, with a longbow is just aim and shoot, aim and shoot all day, if i lose ALL my arrows it is possible to make new ones from nature, after all thats why longbows were invented because you could get all the materials from the woods around you, if a crossbow breaks or needs repair could you get the materials from the woods post shtf? i assume not,mind you i always liked playing Robin Hood as a child, not one of the Sheriff of Nottinghams men!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 October 2011, 17:15,
There are some good plans on the web for xbows built from wood that should be fairly straight forward to make post fall, probably easier than making a good bow I would guess, same with the bolts.

I think they both have their uses, but the xbow has one major advantage over a bow in that it is a lot easier for a beginner to be accurate with a xbow than a bow, they have plenty of downsides as well, one is that it takes a lot longer to reload and shoot a xbow than a normal bow
28 October 2011, 22:16, (This post was last modified: 28 October 2011, 22:19 by grumpy old man.)
i keep saying every tool has a job
yes bows are quick to fire so are guns and for close range a good sword if were on about kill a human.
also if you were to kill someone with a shot do you think the others will want to die
crossbows are slower to load but are more accurate and more powerfulll marking the kill which is what stops the animal otherwise you go chacing around the woods
bolts can be made just as easy as arrows
and even a cheap one costing £150 will do the job and you can buy loads of spare parts now e.g. string and bow which are as cheap as chips
just remember something some things for survival and some things for killing and you will be fine
also sadly hunting in this country is against the law at the with a bow or crossbow
to win the war, you must be willing to die
29 October 2011, 09:06,
The main problem mentioned on the xbow site regarding the cheap chinese made xbows was that the low quality materials and build would result in them breaking due to the high stresses placed on them or the lack of build quality. Ok you could buy 2 cheap ones for the price of a decent one but if it fails just when you need it then either your dinner escapes or the bad guy wins.

If you are looking for one for use post fall then you need a well built and reliable one and unfortunately that costs more money
29 October 2011, 09:58,
Yeah the Barnett Clones are now made in China and the quality and durability of many of these bows is questionable at best. Some superb bows are available from the US.

This one usually has some of the more exotic bows

http://www.crossbows4u.co.uk/

29 October 2011, 10:33, (This post was last modified: 29 October 2011, 10:50 by JD1.)
Thats a good site

They have the xbow I asked about on the xbow forum, the Jaguar "starter pack" for £149. Thats when I got told to forget about them and spend £300 +.

I wouldn't mind one of the Barnetts they have on the front page, but I think 'er indoors would kick my arse Big Grin
This is going to be my next bow though, a Samick SKB 50, and less than £100 Big Grin

Draw weight from 30lb to 60lb (I will probably get a 50) and small enough to not cause too many issues. A modern take on the asian bow

Here's a link to the bow and a detailed review with it's good and bad points, bear in mind when they are talking about hunting it is a review from the US where it is legal

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thr...CATEGORY=9