Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bows - A basic guide to different types
1 November 2011, 15:45, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2011, 15:55 by Skvez.)
RE: Bows - A basic guide to different types
Crossbows are fine for hunting, the long reload time isn't an issue.
For defence the reload time means that you will probably only get one shot.
Unless there are more than one of you corssbows aren't good for defence
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 November 2011, 00:10,
I have reservations about the practicality of bows for defence; as Skvez says, they're a one shot weapon, but unlike a shotgun, they need to be very accurately aimed. Maybe they have more use as a visible deterrent than in an actual live firing situation.
2 November 2011, 09:49,
Better than a stick, knife, staff, stone or air rifle of course.

2 November 2011, 11:24,
Any range weapon is better than no range weapon but with a longbow I can fire a 'warning shot' and get another arrow re-nooked before the other party closes the gap to Melee range. With a crossbow I (probably) can't.
Anyone approaching is likely to be creeping up carefully. Firing a warning shot is likely to be necessary. Or if they're creeping up with partial cover knowing when to fire your one-shot crossbow will be a terrible decision. Knowing you can 'waste' an arrow from a longbow and still 're-load' in time to get another shot off if they charge will be a great comfort (and tactical advantage).
There is a reason why double barrel shotguns have two barrels.
How common are twin crossbows? and are they really a practical weapon or a gimmick?
2 November 2011, 16:54, (This post was last modified: 2 November 2011, 16:56 by NorthernRaider.)
(2 November 2011, 11:24)Skvez Wrote: Any range weapon is better than no range weapon but with a longbow I can fire a 'warning shot' and get another arrow re-nooked before the other party closes the gap to Melee range. With a crossbow I (probably) can't.
Anyone approaching is likely to be creeping up carefully. Firing a warning shot is likely to be necessary. Or if they're creeping up with partial cover knowing when to fire your one-shot crossbow will be a terrible decision. Knowing you can 'waste' an arrow from a longbow and still 're-load' in time to get another shot off if they charge will be a great comfort (and tactical advantage).
There is a reason why double barrel shotguns have two barrels.
How common are twin crossbows? and are they really a practical weapon or a gimmick?

I'll fire a warning shot with my air rifle, if they keep coming I'll shoot em with my air rifle, if they are persistant I'll shoot em with my pistol crowbow, and if that doesnt work I'll either shoot em with my full size bow or run away, I dont want to sound vain or arogant but what I aim at with my air carbine I hit, and it doesnt just sting a bit Angel
What I want is a compound bow that is very small physically , and can be left strung for years without it taking a set or losing power. I'm sure they are made but I'm equally sure they cost a fortune !

2 November 2011, 18:57,
[quote='NorthernRaider' ) I'll either shoot em with my full size bow or run away,
[/quote]

"he who shoots and runs away, lives to shoot another day"Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 November 2011, 02:53,
forget warning shots if no white flag then so be it
to win the war, you must be willing to die
3 November 2011, 11:20,
We're back to the "do I post a no trespassing sign or not" debate.
To clearly identify your territory is to be not-grey. It marks you as a target but allows you to more justifiably shoot first.
If you are lying low then it's more than a bit harsh to shoot someone who is crossing your land for being there when they didn't know it was anyone's land. Wars start that way (as their group feels your group attacked their hunting party for no reason).
3 November 2011, 17:38,
after an event when it's a free for all as some would have it so it would be war from the start defense is the priorty otherwise sly people will take the lot and kill you
to win the war, you must be willing to die
4 November 2011, 12:39,
I think we have drifted off topic quite a bit. I see bows as a tool and want to know more. The ethics of what we kill are discussed eleswhere.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin