Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NR is right Move Up Hill!!!!
26 January 2012, 20:55,
RE: NR is right Move Up Hill!!!!
(26 January 2012, 20:01)Scythe13 Wrote:
(26 January 2012, 19:24)Skean Dhude Wrote: I remember syories from the Victorian age when ythey skated on the Thames. Done that lately?
Then think further back, they grew grapes in the SE and it was pretty much as Southern France is now.

I think the Thames would freeze if it was purer water. Now it is too polluted to freeze over. That is probably a factor to think about.

Scythe. The Thames is a lot less polluted now than it was in the Victorian era. pollution has very little consequence on a tidal river like the Thames and its capability to freeze.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

26 January 2012, 21:01,
(26 January 2012, 20:55)Reality Jones Wrote: Scythe. The Thames is a lot less polluted now than it was in the Victorian era. pollution has very little consequence on a tidal river like the Thames and its capability to freeze.

I always thought it was much purer.

My mistake.
26 January 2012, 22:40,
Yeah the Thames is the epitome of water quality, it gets filtered through an average of seven sets of kidneys before it reachs the sea Smile

26 January 2012, 22:43,
It may not be something you want to drink but it is a million times better than it was in the Victorian age.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 January 2012, 09:00,
Who is to say that every 50k years we have a few decades that the temperature raises still and then returns to normal again. As someone said back in the 70's we were going into a ice age again talk about a u turn now gobal warming. We think we know it all but we know nothing about the world really.

As for skating on the Thames yes it may have happened once or twice, but is books idealising the past. Now as a man i only really remember the very few christmas's that it snowed but in my mind all christmas's were like it. How cold would have to have got -20 for quite a while.

I believed in a coming ice age but now think its all BOL-OCKS
27 January 2012, 09:26,
(27 January 2012, 09:00)uks Wrote: As for skating on the Thames yes it may have happened once or twice, but is books idealising the past. Now as a man i only really remember the very few christmas's that it snowed but in my mind all christmas's were like it. How cold would have to have got -20 for quite a while.

I was just thinking about the tidal comment about the Thames. If it rises with the tide, surely there would be salt water in it. In which case, UKS is spot on, the temperature would have to drop MASSIVELY to freeze it.

I'm not sure if the pictures are true, or if they are an artistic idealisation. Eitherway, it's a cool thing if it did/could happen.
27 January 2012, 09:43,
The Thames did indeed freeze during the little ice age, IIRC was in the 1600s, they held ice fayres on the river, Thames is a tidal river but the salt water stops far far up being held at bay by the fresh water.

27 January 2012, 10:57,
Rivers flow downwards to the sea. Fresh water, it may rise near the coast but London is way inland, most of that is run off and the sea pushing back slows the water going in but cannot replace it that far upstream.

Nobody can predict the weather in a few days so how come we believe they can do it 50, 100, 150 years down the line?

I believe we will have an ice age then another warm period followed by what we have now and then repeat until the sun starts to heat up where it will be a lot warmer. Oh, in about 3 billion years.. We as a species will adapt. Yet again we are hamstrung by politicians thinking they know best.

Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 January 2012, 11:37,
I think it's all just a conspiracy.

Mini Ice Age, Skating on the Thames, London, all are simply urban legends. None of them are real. haha
27 January 2012, 12:19,
It is a conspiracy. It's against us.
Skean Dhude