Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS Jammed at NATO exercise
13 November 2018, 23:11,
GPS Jammed at NATO exercise
In the Times today a report that during the recent exercise “Trident Juncture” in scandinavia, GPS systems were jammed by Russia.

Pilots from the Norwegian national airline Wideroe lost GPS and had to use “alternative navigation systems” according to the report, vehicle systems were also affected as well as smartphones.

In the same report the Kremlin says it intends to supply advanced jamming technology to the Assad regime capable of disrupting airborne radar, aircraft communication and satellite naval systems used by fighter jets and drones, according to the Russian media.

It seems obvious that at any period of international tension vulnerable systems can be disrupted by a malicious regime, for any reason, to up the ante. As such these systems should be hardened to make them fit for purpose, otherwise alternative backup systems must be found.
14 November 2018, 17:00,
RE: GPS Jammed at NATO exercise
Hardened means that it has a higher level of EMP protection. You can't harden for jamming. There may be a mechanism built in that allows a backup facility to reduce jamming but jamming is very effective for transmitted data which GPS is and at such low levels I suspect that it will be difficult for civilian units to bypass.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 November 2018, 18:22,
So what are we saying here ? We have no technical knowledge to retaliate ? Do we lack the ability to respond in kind? I very much doubt it ! .....it's them Russians Again ! .....I hold them totally responsible for ALL the pot holes peppering our roads here in the UK ! And the sudden death of my grandsons pet hamster .....
14 November 2018, 22:56,
I know radio signals can be jammed but never thought airborne radar could be affected as radar is “self contained” as signals are transmitted and received by the same piece of equipment.

As for navigation systems, an automated method using dead reckoning might be possible but we’ll best leave it to the experts.

As for me i’ll find out my “Spur book of Map and Compass” and drive round SS’s Russian pot holes.

As for the death of the grandsons hamster SS don’t believe the conspiracy theories. Fake News.
15 November 2018, 19:02,
SS,

We can retaliate by jamming their systems as well.

Pete,

Radar is not self contained. It fires radio waves outside itself and listens for returns. Anything can absorb or deflect these signals externally and the unit gets no returns. That how stealth systems work.

There are several navigation methods besides GPS that are still perfectly valid. It is just everyone likes technology. Despite the adage that the more complicated they make something the more likely it is to fail.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 November 2018, 20:12,
Yes I know SD .....my attempt at being clever,mysterious and interesting .
15 November 2018, 22:07,
Apols. I recognised the latter part at an attempt at humour Smile but thought the initial comment was an enquiry.
Skean Dhude
16 November 2018, 09:43,
No apols necessary ! SD ...ever !