Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi all
7 December 2018, 15:09,
Photo  Hi all
Hi all,thought I would check in here and see what I can learn. Im living in the Scottish highlands which is probably a good place to be in any SHTF situation. A lot of highlanders are ahead of the game when it comes to stock piling food/fuel/supplies etc as roads can be snow blocked in bad winters also if youre vehicle breaks down it can mean your stuck at home until sorted. Overall its a survivalists dream with lots of critters whether furred/finned or feathered- I could shoot rabbits from my window [literally] and theres plenty of deer around and places to fish-which is handy because im an angler. I don't think im paranoid about impending doom,just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. If some catastrophy occurs my main worry is not procuring food but defence from people so will work on acquiring various deterrents- hunting rifle/shot gun/crossbow etc
If anyone has any interest/questions about what its like living here feel free to pm- I wish I had moved here years ago- its beautiful peaceful and generally stress free. Cheers
7 December 2018, 16:32,
RE: Hi all
Hello and welcome ! CB we did have a few members in the highlands some years back and no doubts still do, and ALL very well prepared ......I miss their posts very much! But for what ever reason I do not doubt their resolve or their skill sets to survive ANYTHING !
7 December 2018, 20:40,
Big Grin  RE: Hi all
(7 December 2018, 16:32)Straight Shooter Wrote: Hello and welcome ! CB we did have a few members in the highlands some years back and no doubts still do, and ALL very well prepared ......I miss their posts very much! But for what ever reason I do not doubt their resolve or their skill sets to survive ANYTHING !

Thanks Straight Shooter I hope I can contribute to the forum, im know quite a lot about fishing and maybe growing things as I was a gardener
,bugger all else mind! Cheers CB

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

7 December 2018, 21:55,
Looking at the weather report earlier CB ,looks like you will have some snow mate ! Hope you stock suitable amounts of single malt,and some firewood not forgetting oil for the lamp .....it's considered bad form to spill a single droplet of the water of life.
8 December 2018, 11:00,
Hello and welcome. There is plenty here for you to learn from and as has been pointed out there are a few from there who have set up their own group. Maybe one of those may get in touch with you.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 December 2018, 18:55,
Hi there. Welcome to the Forum. Lots of interesting and experienced people here to chat to. Enjoy.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
9 December 2018, 10:27,
Thanks MaryN Skean Dhude Straight Shooter. Cheers CB
10 December 2018, 01:00,
Hello Chief Broom and welcome.

Good you have plenty to hunt. How is the highlands for growing food?

LAC
10 December 2018, 16:06,
Hi LAC I haven't tried yet as ive been quite transient over the last 4yrs and haven't yet found my permanent residence. The growing season will be shorter and a polly tunnel or greenhouse would be necessary for early protection but theres no reason why good crops couldn't be grown. Altitude would effect temp/climate as would location- the east is drier/gentler with the west being wet/wilder. I will probably choose to live around the Dornoch area on the east for several reasons- hardly any midges!, services not too far off,dry climate, sea trout fishing, not to remote and close to a main road, plentiful wildlife [to watch and if necessary use] its beautiful/peaceful and in easy travelling distance to the west which is only 60miles away. Sea fishing is better on the west but living there wouldn't be as comfortable as the east and as im getting older and a bit arthritic im settling for the softer option. Theres lots of crofting communities around both on the east and west who would welcome a newcomer and give good advice on horticulture/farming etc
11 December 2018, 00:48,
Great info CB many thanks. I wish you well there, it's certainly a beautiful place.