Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EMP impervious vehicle
12 December 2018, 23:45,
RE: EMP impervious vehicle
Chief Broom.....it really needs to be a cg not a cb the cb is far less robust in all areas than a cg , prone to cam problems including premature came war through poor lubrication,tensioners jam/stick ,and there are more ancillary items to fail , frame and running gear not as tough/loading specs are less , the pick is the first 10 years of production before they added cdi electronic ignition , electric starter and extra instruments , disc brake and removed the enclosed chain case and made it 12v.....not cheap at £300 for a complete wreck needing lots of tlc upto around £1500 for a mint one , mine stands at 44000 miles and I believe only the top end has had a minor overhaul , which is awesome considering how many cack handed learners have abused it in its 38 year life , all parts are still available and cheap too.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
13 December 2018, 09:13,
Charles Harris- thanks for that very comprehensive reply, im thinking of getting a new VW transporter sometime and hopefully it wont be rendered into an expensive chicken coop! Midnitemo-cheers for the info, I will still look for a cg as theyre so frugal and could be very useful even if [as CH] says the emp threat might not be as destructive as thought.
13 December 2018, 22:51,
(13 December 2018, 09:13)Chief Broom Wrote: Charles Harris- thanks for that very comprehensive reply, im thinking of getting a new VW transporter sometime and hopefully it wont be rendered into an expensive chicken coop! Midnitemo-cheers for the info, I will still look for a cg as theyre so frugal and could be very useful even if [as CH] says the emp threat might not be as destructive as thought.

I'm not sure if this would be a viable plan in UK, but the makes and models of cars, SUVs and light trucks commonly used for police cars, fire department mobile command posts, ambulances, and disaster response utlitity vehicles all have shielded and hardened electrical systems to avoid RF interference from public safety 2-way radio, fleet management and tracking systems, license plate scanners, radar, GPS, mobile data terminals used for dispatching and the like. A fire department supervisor's SUV or a marked police cruiser typically has as many as six antennas on it, operating on multiple bands, low-band and high-band VHF, UHF and microwave. For all those RF emitters not to shut down the vehicle, the electrical systems have to be hardened fairly substantially.

In my county fire, police and public works vehicles were taken out of service and auctioned every 6-7 years. Of course all the electronic toys, bells and whistles are removed, and the decals stripped off, but they make a great platform to set up as a small camper vehicle equipped with mobile ham radio, satellite TV and Internet as well as having a small frig, bar, dining table and cooktop. A friend had an amulance outfitted with a loo, shower with solar heated water tank on the roof.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
13 December 2018, 23:05,
Good points there Charles ....many thanks .
13 December 2018, 23:32,
Thanks Charles that was very interesting and I didn't know these vehicles had extra protection-food for thought. I have seen ex ambulance campervans in the UK.
14 December 2018, 19:06,
Regarding the test done in 2004. There was nowhere near the reliance on computers in those days. My car wouldn't start because a sensor broke on the ABS and the programmers had decided that in that circumstance the engine wouldn't start. It's all drive by wire now. So no computer then no engine start.

When I looked at this the diesel engine seemed the way to go. No real electronics, points, etc. A engine that has no need for electrics at all. The only electrics needed were external lights and some sort of music player.

Most diesel engines can also be converted to alcohol engines as well.

Luckily brakes, steering, gears etc. are mechanical so if you have an engine you pretty much have a vehicle.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 December 2018, 23:50,
Our daily runabout (petrol) is 2001 and the camper (diesel) is 2002, so given this information i don’t think we would be permanently immobilised, or i hope not.

However our 1972 MG should have no trouble, only problem is the straight through exhaust system is so load it can be heard miles away, so we could never sneak away.

So if we can’t go quietly drop a cog and put the pedal to the metal and hope the road ahead is clear Smile.
15 December 2018, 00:07,
Our daily runabout (petrol) is 2001 and the camper (diesel) is 2002, so given this information i don’t think we would be permanently immobilised, or i hope not.

However our 1972 MG should have no trouble, only problem is the straight through exhaust system is so load it can be heard miles away, so we could never sneak away.

So if we can’t go quietly drop a cog and put the pedal to the metal and hope the road ahead is clear Smile.
15 December 2018, 00:45,

15 December 2018, 00:55,
Sorry folks the ipads gone mad, it’s like “the revenge of the machines”, either that or a whiskey ? to many Smile.