Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EMP impervious vehicle
11 December 2018, 09:59,
EMP impervious vehicle
Is there such a thing? I read somewhere a pre 60's vehicle would work so what does a vehicle of this era have/lack that modern ones don't. I know its electrickary of some description. Would like to source some old wheels which would run whether motorcycle or car- hell if its never used it could become an appreciating classic!
11 December 2018, 15:24,
RE: EMP impervious vehicle
I'm not a motor mechanic but three main issues I can think of are:

1) Getting the spare parts.

2) If it can be adjusted to work on modern unleaded petrol? (many older vehicles were specifically designed to run on leaded petrol and don't perform well at all on unleaded)

3) Will the emissions be low enough to pass the current MOT test (that's how many older vehicles fail it).
11 December 2018, 15:39,
Up to about 1970 I think CB even a bit later before electronic ignition assisted by CPU's were introduced ,most all modern vehicles management systems are controlled by computor chips these days .....I once owned a Morris 1000 van ....with a starting handle ! Dead easy to maintain / repair ...so so simple back then , I could fix Anything !
11 December 2018, 18:06,
It is not what the old vehicles had that matters, it is what they did not have, which was computer controlled electronics in the fuel control and ignition control systems. They had a simple carburetor which very inefficiently mixed the fuel and air, and a set of simple spark plugs connected to a coil and magneto or generator/alternator, to produce spark and power.

All of that is now done by tiny computers which are scattered all over the vehicle. They are not just in one location so you can wrap them in foil and forget about them. They are also all interconnected so if your tail lights do not work the engine will not fire, a single diode failing in your alternator can burn out your entire electronic system, your key fob lock popper failing indicates major electronic problems, and low pressure in your tyres will not allow the vehicle to move since it affects the ABS system. Not precisely but you get the idea.

Over here one is good until the early 1980s and then there was only a sensor in the carb that never worked anyway.

Not that the era was the hey-day of either design or engineering.

As it is I have enough trouble keeping a 1997 Jeep operating, can not imagine what keeping a 40-50-60 year old rig going would be like.

"Never used" does not mean never maintained and as LAC stated, spare parts are an issue since belts, hoses, seals all degrade with time and not just use. The worst thing one can do with a vehicle is to store it and never run it.

Strangely enough, parts for Land Rovers are still being made by after market suppliers, so an antique LR might be ones best bet for post apocalyptic transport.

You should check into the military applications of shielding and protection of sensitive gear. They have done extensive testing. Most of the tanks, trucks, and armored fighting vehicles have enough steel around them to protect the electronic bits.

Or do what NASA does with the satellites out in space exposed to mass coronal ejections, then them off, then turn them back on.

Most vehicle computers can be reset by disconnecting the power source, the vehicle battery, for a specified length of time. If the vehicle is not running when the event occurs there is little likelihood that an EMP will affect it.

And there is also the logical thing about EMP. If there is an EMP event where do you think you are going to go?

How are you going to get there on roads clogged with abandoned stalled cars? They would still be where they stood when the strike occurred and roads would be impassible. I use one of our major motorways constantly and find the traffic nose to tail at 70mph almost 24 hours a day and I am well outside of any urban center.

I would not wish to be the only human still able to drive down the green lane after EMP. The sound of your motor would travel for miles and anyone would be able to hear you coming in plenty of time to block your path and and ask your business or ambush you. I live out in the countryside and I can hear my neighbors fire up their engines from 1/2 mile away. I can hear their tractor start up a mile down the road and across the fields.

The post event world is almost incomprehensible to most people. You will have no where to go, you will not need a means to get to nowhere your chances of being welcome once you get to nowhere are slim.

This is why we prep. So we can stay home where it is safe, and listen for the sound of engines in the distance...hey kids, did you drop that tree across the road like I told you...get the shotgun and lets see who that is...
11 December 2018, 19:25,
No one really knows the effects of an EMP on vehicles, some vehicle electrics may be fried others might not be badly damaged.

More knowledgeable members than i have posted here but this is what i believe.

If you’re worried keep a spare CPU in a faraday cage, fit a battery isolater switch use it when parked.

If you’re driving and the vehicle stops (and any other vehicles around) see if your mobile is working, if not it could be an EMP.

Disconnect the battery, wait five minutes, reconnect battery and try to start the engine.

If it doesn’t start change the CPU and look for any wiring damage, check all fuses.

If no good put on your walking boots and pick up your GHB.
11 December 2018, 20:02,
Thanks everyone for the useful and interesting comments. I did think a vehicles electrics would be fried whether it was running or not though I really don't understand the technical side. I do reckon it would be good to have a transport option [post catastrophe] as you wouldn't know the importance of it until the time came. Im in the highlands and the roads are empty most of the time- yes I may be ambushed by cannibalistic kilted crazies but then again I might get to the coast and catch some fish. Years ago when I left collage and was skint I purchased a 350 bike and sidecar for a £100 a horrible crude affair which left a 2 stroke smog vapour trail [cz mz not sure?] between each terrifying corner- maybe something like this would still function or maybe death is preferable hee hee I will stash something as a standby even its never used.
12 December 2018, 18:06,
I have a very old Honda CG125 , which is incredibly simple and totally lacking in gizmo's , 6v ,kickstart , will bump with a flat battery very easily , points ignition , all electrics that are required for it to run take up very little space in my faraday cage(points ,condenser and a very small 6v battery) the bike was designed by honda in the mid 70's to be sold in the third world and emerging markets , it is tough and reliable 90mpg is easily achieved and a full service is 45 mins start to finish , oil change is less than a litre and on a good day you will see 60mph from it with my bulky frame aboard.....imho the perfect end of days wheels.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
12 December 2018, 18:19,
this is the story of its development

Attached Files
.html   Honda Worldwide _ History _ CG125 _ 1975.html (Size: 82.57 KB / Downloads: 10)
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
12 December 2018, 19:45,
(12 December 2018, 18:06)Midnitemo Wrote: I have a very old Honda CG125 , which is incredibly simple and totally lacking in gizmo's , 6v ,kickstart , will bump with a flat battery very easily , points ignition , all electrics that are required for it to run take up very little space in my faraday cage(points ,condenser and a very small 6v battery) the bike was designed by honda in the mid 70's to be sold in the third world and emerging markets , it is tough and reliable 90mpg is easily achieved and a full service is 45 mins start to finish , oil change is less than a litre and on a good day you will see 60mph from it with my bulky frame aboard.....imho the perfect end of days wheels.

Never thought I might be riding a CG again! thanks Midnitemo, can imagine theres quite a few cg's cb's still around quietly rusting away in numerous sheds and garages. Cant help but imagine [cuz im deranged] an advert from Honda...The Armageddon Range...cue back drop of tumultuous mushroom clouds and widespread devastation then through the settling dust a struggling ray of light illuminates the little honda as it thrums into life......hee hee all in the best possible taste.....ahem.
Joking aside bikes of that era could be the answer.
12 December 2018, 22:57,
https://www.lifewire.com/would-your-car-...ck-3903248

In a study released in 2004, the EMP Commission subjected 37 different cars and trucks to simulated EMP attacks and found that none of them suffered permanent, crippling damage, although the results were somewhat mixed.

The study subjected vehicles to simulated EMP attacks both while shut off and while running... None of the vehicles suffered any ill effects if the attack occurred while the engine was off. When the attack occurred while the vehicles were running, some of them shut off, while others suffered other effects like erroneously blinking dash lights. Although some of the engines did die when subjected to an EMP, each of the passenger cars tested by the EMP Commission did start back up.

The study findings suggested that 90 percent of the cars on the road in 2004 would suffer no ill effects at all from an EMP, while 10 percent would either stall out or suffer some other ill effect that would require driver intervention. That number has no doubt gone up in the intervening decade since there are more cars on the road today that make use of delicate electronics, but none of the vehicles tested by the EMP commission suffered permanent damage.

There are a few possible reasons why the electronics in our cars may be a little bit more robust than we give them credit for. The first is that the electronics in cars and trucks are already somewhat shielded, and they also tend to be a little more robust than most consumer electronics due to the harsh conditions they are subjected to while on the road.

Another factor that may help protect the electronics in a car is that the metal body of the vehicle can act as a partial Faraday cage. This is why you can survive your vehicle being struck by lightning, and it’s also why car radio antennas are located outside, rather than inside, the vehicle. Of course, your car isn’t a perfect Faraday cage, or you wouldn’t be able to make and receive cell phone calls.

Better Safe than Sorry in an EMP Attack?

While none of the cars tested by the EMP Commission in 2004 suffered permanent or crippling damage, and only one of the trucks required a tow, that doesn’t mean cars are totally immune to EMP. Vehicles built in the decade since the EMP Commission study could be more vulnerable, due to more onboard electronics, or less vulnerable, due to more robust shielding from electronic interference.

In any case, the fact is that while it’s possible for an EMP to damage the electronics in a car or truck, there are no vitally important electronics to damage in older vehicles. That's where the old adage of "better safe than sorry" comes into play.

The Safest Vehicle after an EMP Attack

While real-world testing seems to indicate that most modern cars and trucks will start back up and drive just fine following an EMP attack, there are a few other factors that warrant consideration.

For instance, older cars and trucks are simpler, easier to work on, and often easier to find parts for. And in a worst-case scenario, following an EMP attack, there is a definite argument to be made for an older, reliable vehicle that you can work on yourself.

The other main issue to consider is that if the entire power grid is taken down, fuel production and supply will also be dead in the water until it comes back up. That means you'll be stuck with whatever fuel you have on hand, which is where the knowledge of how to make ethanol or biodiesel at home could come in very handy.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA