Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One rod [UK]
16 December 2018, 20:24,
One rod [UK]
It must difficult for a non angler to choose a rod given the 1000's available for a multitude of species and locations both fresh and saltwater. Of course several rods would be favourite but if I could have only one this would be it - Any fish anywhere Estuary 12ft casting weight rated 1-3 oz This rod is a jack of all trades and imho is a master of a few - its equally at home float fishing/ledgering/ and general lure fishing. Im talking sea here rather than freshwater where a lighter rod would be more appropriate. Saying that I would still opt for the AFAW as it could manage lighter duties in freshwater and easily cope with larger species like carp and pike. If you live near shallow beaches a 13ft beach caster using 4-6 oz would be ideal but the AFAW would cope- not as well but it would catch fish. One rod means compromise and the AFAW is in the sweet spot for many species and would cope in many different enviroments maybe not perfectly but would catch.It is a bit pricy for a non angler at around £160 last time I looked. Other cheaper options would be a Bass rod 2-4oz or flattie 2-4oz around 11ft and £60-£100 or so. Of course in a shtf situation it would be about getting fish on the table so stringing a long line out or flinging in a stick of dynamite could be more appropriate! Anyway if someones looking for a multi purpose rod for sea and to a lesser extent freshwater that's my choice AFAW estuary 12ft 1-3 oz
16 December 2018, 20:40,
RE: One rod [UK]
(16 December 2018, 20:24)Chief Broom Wrote: It must difficult for a non angler to choose a rod given the 1000's available for a multitude of species and locations both fresh and saltwater... One rod means compromise... Of course in a shtf situation it would be about getting fish on the table so stringing a long line out or flinging in a stick of dynamite could be more appropriate!

Dynamite or grenades attract too much attention after SHTF and waste too many fish.

I am 100 miles from the ocean. Our local fishing waters are entirely fresh water, being mostly shallow creeks and farm ponds. The logical SHTF fishing answer is a hand-cranked telephone magneto. From your row boat drop a 2-metre lngth of chain on the port side and a second chain on the starboard side. Both chains are connected to a magneto coil. Zap the water and nearby fish will be stunned for a minute and float to the surface so you can scoop them up with a dip net. Choose the best ones for dinner and throw the ones you don't need back to catch later when they grow bigger.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
16 December 2018, 22:28,
RE: One rod [UK]
Hi Charles your method sounds very effective and good that it doesn't wipe everything out- like those fish count surveys where a similar fish stun method is employed. I was only joking about the dynamite just to emphasise that finesse might have to make way for necessity. My post was really about choosing one rod for UK waters which will probably get as many suggestions as there are anglers!