Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
RUBBISH
27 January 2012, 13:34,
RE: RUBBISH
Probably because he got to drink the very best booze. I think I need to vary my diet to enable more explosive pee.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 January 2012, 13:52,
Yeah, could bring a whole new meaning to the word "pistol"!
Joe.
27 January 2012, 13:53,
That's a pub quiz point, waiting to happen.

Thanks Joe
27 January 2012, 22:48,
Before this thread turns into its namesake.

We live in the city. We have no reeds. We have no real explosive technology. We have a concrete downstairs floor. We have a tiny urban garden.

We HAVE a bucket.
We were thinking about stock piling bin liners/refuse sacks.

Should we get a few tubs of sudacreme for the old itchy rectum syndrome?(good for burns 2)?

We can ditch the waste down stream and salvage the metallics/plastics.

Use of empty tins :- rain catchers. snare/trap. cup/vessel. smeltdown. wind chime.

Use of empty plastics :- rain catchers. snare/trap. cup/vessel. plaggy drip (use fire/coat bolts/arrows).

Does piss around the perimeter deter vermin/stray pets/scavengers etc.

No food waste. Everything gets eaten.
You have to get up early to catch a fox.
7 February 2012, 17:09,
Choice of location is key.

Being close to (but higher than) a natural watercourse solves the human waste problem with simple drainage, as the loss of land drainage pumps and commercial water extraction will raise groundwater levels hugely and toxin removing reed beds and other forna/flora are surprisingly efficient at breaking down nasties. they also proliferate surprisingly fast in the sort of marginal water environment that would form in no time.

Burning waste oil (sump oil, old chip fat Etc) in converted stoves produces far less ash and requires less volume for a given heat output than solid fuel and is more easily stored... I have one 1200 litre UV resistant tank and access to several more.

Plastic food containers (which would have already been cleaned of food remnants) make tremendously usable building materials by either filling them with earth and using as bricks/stone, for windbreaks, enclosing areas etc, or by using empty/sealed as an efficient insulation blocks.

Plastic bags/wrapping can be welded together (with practice) and used to protect items from the elements, insulate drafty shelters/walls/floors, or as a cover to encourage early growth of tender plants.

Iron oxide (rust) has a surprising number of uses, so you can leave your clean tins, to degrade naturally, outside. Clean aluminium cans can be cut with scissors and stored as flat sheets, in a small area awaiting use.

Wood/paper ash can be kept and used in water to create an alkaline solution that can be used to clean and disinfect. (moderately). It can also be used to adjust soil PH when growing food plants and mixed with boiled and curdled milk it creates a very strong glue, capable of joining any porous material.

In a long term situation, there should be little waste anyway, so finding the raw materials is likely to be harder than disposing of the waste it creates.
Failure to prepare mentally, is preparing to fail totally.
7 February 2012, 19:07,
(27 January 2012, 22:48)Jodansgang Wrote: Does piss around the perimeter deter vermin/stray pets/scavengers etc.

I'm pretty certain that attracts rats mate.

The idea of Sudacreme, it's so useful and versatile, it should already be on the list. So good thinking there mate.

With regards to living in the city, you should be okay for a few days. There will probably be one last flush in the toilets, so use it wisely. Another idea is to store LOADS of water. If you have enough water coming in to replace your current usage, you can always use that bucket, and after using the toilet, pour some water down it to simulate a flush. This only works if you're in a super rainny place, like Bristol. WOO! We're safe.

Another thought, a very basic, but effective composting toilet. Also refered to as a 'long drop' which will break down the poop over time. But you'll want a lid and a way to stop yourselves dropping down there!!!

Most other 'rubbish' will be used, if not burned.
7 February 2012, 19:50,
Put the urine on the compost heap or if you don't have one on the garden.

To solve the problem though you want a composting toilet. Your other waste will be minimal after an event and most of what is classed as waste now will be useful after an event. So no real waste to speak of.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 February 2012, 20:41,
Just thought, make a solar still for pee. It's not going to be the tastiest water you've ever drank, but it's better than no drink at all.
7 February 2012, 22:16,
How do you think they do it on submarines. space ships and large ships? Even small boats do this now.
Skean Dhude
8 February 2012, 09:57,
(7 February 2012, 22:16)Skean Dhude Wrote: How do you think they do it on submarines. space ships and large ships? Even small boats do this now.

Solar stills in a submarine? I don't get how that works? Do they filter heat from the engines to get the condensation?

Also, not sure about the spaceship one. They must use a different filter system, because there's no gravity, so the wee would be sloshing around everywhere. Don't they use a vaccum pump thing to keep the wee in the right place? How do they filter it out from there? Drinking straw style 'normal' filtration I guess. Is that right, or am I clutching at straws? (pun intended)