Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After the Snow
12 January 2019, 19:40,
After the Snow
It snowed on me last night.

I knew something was up when I went to the supermarket yesterday and found the place packed, shelves emptying quickly and so forth. It was a true "chicken little" moment.

I got 7-8 cm. The road is slushy but passable.

Still, there is a "snow emergency" in place meaning no unnecessary driving. I do not know who is responsible for determining what is necessary?

I am craving a waffle, is driving to the village for a waffle a violation of the emergency order?

I need that waffle really badly.

If I can not go to the village for a waffle in the snow then why did I spend all that money on a Jeep with 4wd?

Everyone knows 4wd is for icecream and waffle runs, closely followed by fried chicken and burger runs.

Now they try to impose some legal mumbo-jumbo in my play in the snow!
12 January 2019, 23:31,
RE: After the Snow
Looks like Bens leg was telling the truth ! one weather report out today reckons real cold and snow coming in , starting from next Wednesday...……….well it is winter ! and we should be very prepared ? you would think so . after all we have had nine months warning, speaking of warnings " the beast from the east " last year ….plenty of warnings yet hundreds of motorists were caught out on the open roads and motorways up and down the UK , now I know our MB would have plenty of preps onboard the JEEP to sustain him through almost any event in his
hankering for waffles , fried chicken and burgers …..so.....what steps have you in place (in your everyday runabout)
if you were caught out ….while getting some fish n chips ! . One thing did strike me with MB's post shelves being emptied that quickly ….for some snow ! but there again as I posted last year people were fighting over a loaf of bread in Aldi's ….you can easy imagine the results of prolonged shit ….
13 January 2019, 15:37,
From what i can see the weather next week will steadily get colder until the weekend then temperatures will be -2C daytime -4C nights, i haven’t seen any forecast of snow yet.

Shame, it’s quite funny to watch the sheeple panicking as they fight for food in shops, or get stuck in snow over night on the motorway.

MB the only unnecessary driving i would consider is if i run out of cheese and onion crisps ( chips) but not much chance of that i’m glad to say.
13 January 2019, 17:03,
Now there's a clash of cultures Pete ! waffles ,fried chicken, and burgers …….set against cheese & onion crisps (which I also love) …..but I have to tell you ...MB seems to hold the higher most noble ground …..I bet it has nothing to do with waffles …..he was posing in his new JEEP ….lets get it out there !
13 January 2019, 18:08,
You fellows are awaiting the same weather system that just came over me. It would strike you about mid-week.

It has proven entertaining but not that unpleasant. We had a first wave Friday night, day settling at just below freezing, then more precipitation on top of the snow which was of mixed variety, sleet and rain mixed with flakes to the tune of another inch last night.

Most of it will be gone by tomorrow.

I keep everything propped and stocked up, so not food shortage will appear. There is emergency heat and light on tap.

The water/sewer systems do not give me cause to worry until we get down into the -30c temp range. At that point my drains sometimes freeze, never the water.

I think the drains freeze due to the moron that plumbed them not getting enough slope on the runs headed into the main. It is always the long kitchen drain and the tub drain attached to it that give trouble.

I would fix it but during the summer there are big bugs and spiders down there, and in winter the glue will not seal properly.

I is a terrible quandary to be in!

My in place solution is a 15 meter long heat tape run along that pipe. It is thermostatically controlled and comes on only when the temps go very cold.
14 January 2019, 17:07,
(13 January 2019, 18:08)Mortblanc Wrote: You fellows are awaiting the same weather system that just came over me... It has proven entertaining but not that unpleasant. We had a first wave Friday night, day settling at just below freezing, then more precipitation on top of the snow which was of mixed variety, sleet and rain mixed with flakes to the tune of another inch last night...

Here 20cm of dry, powder snow with temps -5C this am. Quiet and pleasant.
Sun coming out, wind blowing snow from the trees now, it is expected to remain cold week long with more snow later in the week.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
14 January 2019, 18:55,
Yep it is supposed to be about the same 90 miles east of you but next weekend is predicted to be really cold here.

Where I live winter is "gray time". The sun does not shine for weeks on end and everything loses its color. Looking out the window is like seeing an old grainy black and white newspaper photo.

Off grid solar would be a waste of money here! We get 8 hours of daytime and zero hours of "daylight".