Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yep that's snow
20 January 2019, 17:56,
Yep that's snow
We got one of our normal winter hammerings last night. CH probably got part of this too.

All day rain with temps at 2-4c, then at 8pm it dropped below freezing turned to sleet, then snow for the rest of the night. That means a snow cover with 5-6mm of ice underneath.

Thermometer says our high since midnight was -5c, low was -15c and it is sitting on -10c at the moment.

We will be 3-4 days below freezing more than likely.

According to the weather man,,,,Woe is us, we're all gonna' die!

But at least at these temps the bodies will keep and the maggots will not get to us.
21 January 2019, 12:56,
RE: Yep that's snow
Snowed here for 2 minutes on Friday. Then cleared up but we have been told, again, that it will hit minus figures this week.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 January 2019, 15:05,
Our high last night at midnight was -18c.

right now it is 21.

The power went out for a few seconds about an hour ago. At this temperature that will get your attention very quickly! Inside temp went down to 15c in minutes.

The house starts to cool instantly and by the time you get secondary heat cranked in it may take a long while to get back up to temp.
21 January 2019, 16:10,
(21 January 2019, 15:05)Mortblanc Wrote: Our high last night at midnight was -18c.

right now it is 21.

The power went out for a few seconds about an hour ago. At this temperature that will get your attention very quickly! Inside temp went down to 15c in minutes.

The house starts to cool instantly and by the time you get secondary heat cranked in it may take a long while to get back up to temp.

10am temperature here 4 degs F with wind chill -25F

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
23 January 2019, 17:53,
OK crisis averted, you can call off the international rescue mission.

10C and pouring rain today.

Not a flake of snow left in sight.

Yesterday I needed 4wd to get out of the driveway and today I need pontoons.
24 January 2019, 18:04,
In the normal scheme of things , we would get your weather (snow) in particular two to three weeks after you in the USA , speaking to one of my friends today …..his friend who is a air line pilot …..we will have heavy snow end of January /start of February ….he says they have had the heads up ! .

MB did you get your wood stove going ?
25 January 2019, 08:10,
No wood stove at my place, too old to deal with all that stuff any more. I have one on the porch, its for looking at and roasting marshmallows.

I did that for 30 years before the back surgeries and heart attacks. Did I mention that I had my first heart attack while splitting and loading firewood!

Had my second one when I saw all the gear my new wife intended to take to our first camp.

The next winter I have to cut and split wood to stay alive will be my last winter. Guess I could hop a freight train and head south for winter. Not many box cars left to hop on.

I could drive south, but the trip wold cost me more than the extra power to turn up the heat.

Electricity is too cheap to cut firewood, then split firewood, then stack firewood, then go into the snow to carry firewood into the house, then fight the firewood to keep it lit, then wake wondering why the firewood is not keeping the house warm to discover the fire went out at 3 am.
25 January 2019, 11:34,
Anyone - How cheap is paid for firewood in the UK? Recently I was in Finland and the people we were staying with had an outside store room/shed type thing about 3 or 4 metres wide and 2 metres tall and the shelves in the back were completely stacked with firewood from top to bottom. I asked how much that lot cost and he said €8. Bloody hell I said that's cheap.

I also heard that Mr Gove has banned open fires in pubs and regulated the wood burning stove market so only treated smokeless wood is allowed to be used? Anyone have any further information in that area?
25 January 2019, 12:16,
A trailer full of split firewood ...not seasoned going for £50/£60 , trailer is 7ft x 4ft x 18" high , well seasoned will go for double the above , kiln dried even more again , ……..oak , beech , more again , ash is the more prominent , at least around here , LAC that is cheap ! …….Gove....is just another political idiot....out for himself and only himself but having said that NO difference to any other politician , we are now the laughing stock of the world , there is only one more vote left for the SS household …..if it comes around OUT ! ….we will vote again , then that's us done ,we will NEVER vote again.....the country is lost !
25 January 2019, 17:34,
Thanks for the info SS. Yes I know it's all a bit depressing but true politics works by standing and fighting your corner. I actually think the whole brexit mess is necessary, the more they push the more we pull etc. Looking at Norfolk (God's Land) for a possible move, I love it there, at least most parts.