Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knife Sharpening
27 January 2019, 20:43,
RE: Knife Sharpening
MB, I think you're right, there doesn't appear to be a universal standard. I just did a comparison of the whetstone I bought from Amazon.co.uk with Amazon.com to see if it might give an equivalent grit rating but it just states the same:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BearMoo-Sharpen...tone&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Whetstone-Sharpen...ref=plSrch
27 January 2019, 20:49,
I use different systems depending on what I'm sharpening .For pocket knives I use a Lansky sharpener . For serrated edges or small curved knives I use the Spyderco sharp maker . For knives like my Fallkniven h1, Kukris ,swords or any edge requiring a convex bevel I use various grades of wet and dry on a rubber block or mousepad leading up to 1200 grit ( though I've found going from 600 to 1200 then a loaded strop gives great results) . After that a loaded strop then a fine strop will give me a very smooth Mirror like polish . 3000 is much too high for sharpening .
For sharpening It would really depend on how much metal I'd need to remove to set the bevels . I used to use 80 then 120 when I used to make knives , and those grits were used on a belt sander to grind the primary bevels . I've personally never found a need to go beyond 1200 wet and dry , then onto the strop .
29 January 2019, 00:15,
Thankyou Talon. I've watched several youtube vids of the lansky so maybe worth investing in the future. I've just ordered another Whetstone same make but 400/1000 grit. The 3000 I have found to be a little high for dull blades but is perfect for finishing or touching up sharp blades before they go too blunt.
15 February 2019, 20:03,
I came across this one today and though someone might gain a bit more insight or have a flash of an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4G0Iym_moA
16 February 2019, 10:02,
Oh great post Mort . I’d never heard of Garryflex blocks . I’ve used Cratex blocks before for polishing but the Garryflex blocks are much cheaper on EBay . I’ll order some and see what theyre like .
17 February 2019, 17:24,
Thanks MB, I may order some. I'm making some progress on technique but it can be frustrating at times. Like ah now it's sharp, and then oh **** I blunted it again. Holding the angle is the challenge but I am improving. Yes I'm still considering a fixed angle system but also determined to perfect the technique by hand.
17 February 2019, 18:44,
I get a kick out of Zed Outdoors.

It is a whole channel of watching a grown man learn all the skills he should have learned when he was 10, except no one ever told him to go outdoors and play!
17 February 2019, 19:12,
I’ve not checked his channel out . I don’t understand the problem with carbon steel staining . That’s just a nice patina in my eyes and shows character. That’s partially why I chose my two case knives in carbon cv . They just age so well and to me look much better with some honest ageing .
The Garryflex interests me for polishing though .
17 February 2019, 20:13,
Great video MB ! the strop he uses is the same as the ones I made a bit back , not seen that Garryflex but I will check it out....looks good .
18 February 2019, 03:08,
(17 February 2019, 19:12)Talon Wrote: I’ve not checked his channel out . I don’t understand the problem with carbon steel staining . That’s just a nice patina in my eyes and shows character. That’s partially why I chose my two case knives in carbon cv . They just age so well and to me look much better with some honest ageing .
The Garryflex interests me for polishing though .

I am the same thought about the carbon steel vs stainless Talon.

I find carbon steel much easier to sharpen and better in edge holding capability. As for being "easier to care for", well that depends. If you abuse your gear, then put it away in a wet sheath and ignore it for several months I suppose stainless does have an advantage, but for the person that uses reasonable care and checks his gear on a regular basis there is no advantage, except for loss of the shiny finish that some consider "perfection".

I have been known to slice a few apples with a new carbon steel knife just to get a patina on the blade so I do not have to worry about rust.

The one thing I dislike about the good SAK knives is that they do not offer them with the cutting blades in carbon steel. Although they will achieve a razor edge they simply can not retain it through any use at all and one must accept a certain level of dullness as standard for some very expensive cutlery.