Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PGs camper van
18 August 2022, 23:09,
RE: PGs camper van
The camper is doing great (been away again), we have a freestanding gazebo and while it’s been so hot that’s how we have kept cool and in the shade. We have a full set of side curtains for bad weather and it gives us more space than an awning.

Incidentally some smaller sizes of calor gas are hard to find, some local retailers have lots of empties they can’t get refilled, don’t know why. Luckily we have enough camper size (2 in the camper and 2 spare, all full).
24 August 2022, 19:32,
From what I hear from camping friends it’s the 4.5kg and 7kg Butane which are the most difficult to find.
24 August 2022, 21:42,
Are you talking about refilling the cylinders you have or finding ones to swap out for your empties?

These LPG shortages are often a very localized problem and fluctuate based on the efficiency of the individual businesses. If you have only one local supplier and they are crap it can be bad.

We have one company that has basically developed a monopoly on the tank exchange business in our area. They resupply their bins at the local stores when they feel like it, or when the owner of the store calls them or whenever???

In contrast, there are two caravan parks where I can refill my cylinders, a local LPG sales center, and a huge "truck stop" which I suppose you folks would call a "lorry driver supply and comfort center". Over here those are well appointed and a really big deal. You find one about every 100 miles along the motorways.

https://buc-ees.com/

I have a half dozen 20# tanks in the shed plus one on the grill. I once knew how long that would last for cooking and heat but I have mislaid those numbers in my memory. It's a while anyway.
24 August 2022, 22:17,
The gas company is Calor, one of the largest, the local distribution centre and several local retailers have no idea when stocks of exchange bottles will be available, so I’ve been told. We have no problem at the moment.

I don’t know about refilling bottles, I would think one company would not fill another company’s bottles because of public liability insurance risks.
25 August 2022, 01:32,
Around here the bottles are standardized. Regulators and caps are universal. They are inspected on each filling.

I know that Calor dominates your market. A monopoly of service would not be legal, or really possible here, and since you can start with a caravan on the east coast here and drive for a loop of 20k miles before getting back home you might be refilling a double tank system three or four times at points separated by thousands of miles and not see the initial source of purchase of the tank ever again.

I know people that tour constantly and cover not only the US but also Central America, Mexico and Canada. Some are gone for 2-3 years at a time. They have to be able to refill where ever they can find fuel.

Most caravans come new with tanks already installed and filled and you never know who made them. I don't know who made most of mine. Don't have to care.

I'm sure your present problems are due to reduction of the Russian supply.
26 August 2022, 20:37,
Not many motorhomes over here have lpg tanks fitted, the ones that do are usually older petrol engined ones that have been converted to run on lpg for economic reasons.

There are a few service stations selling auto-gas that are permitted to fill bottles and tanks (i’ve found a local one - will phone them to verify for future reference).

But Motor Fuels group that supply some major franchises BP, Esso, Shell, Jet, Murco and Texaco are phasing out selling gas by 2024 (not economic), in favour of EV charging.
27 August 2022, 04:53,
Not talking about the running fuel tanks Pete. Our caravans come with two 20# LPG tanks fitted on the tongue.

They are for the cooker, furnace, water heater and fridge.

Our portable tanks come in 5#,10#, 20# and 100# sizes and for home use fuel we can have 500# or larger sitting out back of the house.

I think that your Caler gas is LPG mixed with a bit of butane where our gas is straight LPG. Not sure about that, just what I saw on google.
28 August 2022, 00:34,
Smile  RE: PGs camper van
Campers/motorhomes here usually have provision in the ventilated locker for 2 bottles, max size 6kg propane (red bottle) or 7kg butane (blue bottle), not a mixture, prices about £30 a bottle, smaller bottles 3.9kg or 4.5kg respectively are available.

The bottles use different regulators with different threads, male or female as the gas pressures are different, larger size bottles have push on regulators. This is why I have a selection of different ones with spares incase I can scavenge gas in an event.

Similarly to American vans gas is used for the cooker, water-heater, blown air-heater and fridge.

The largest bottle here, as against a fixed tank, is a 47kg propane bottle, found everywhere, in factories and at most rural homes where mains gas is not available, I think this must be the same as your 100# unit.
11 November 2022, 20:16,
The camper has passed its mot and had a service, no problem.

From holiday ready it’s now in BO mode, vehicle battery on a charger/maintainer, a dehumidifier to stop any damp, fuel tank full leaving no space for condensation.

The water tank and water heater have been drained, a 20litre water container is standing in the shower (incase of a leak).

The food in the crates has been checked, everything at least 12 months use by date.

The 4 season sleeping bags and a crate of winter clothing are stowed, and the folding solar panel and bar light are back in. And the gas bottles are full.

Everything will be checked on a weekly basis.
1 August 2023, 22:33,
The camper is doing well, no problems, all systems go.