Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mechanic help
13 August 2023, 01:03,
Mechanic help
Are any of you mechanics or know of anyone competent at such things?

I have been working on a (relatively) large rv project that is based on a T5 chassis but lacking a fully functioning body (mine, not the rv) I'm having real difficulties. I'm thinking of a having the engine swapped to a PD 130. I would need to source an engine and ancillaries/ecu gearbox ect and have that engine sent to an address ready to overhaul/install.
I have done very many clever things but this seems beyond my ability.
I would really appreciate some help if it's possible.
I have some coin aside for this. Possibly could exchange motorcycle projects to part pay.

It does run but I'm suspicious of a rattle on the timing end and the fitted engine is notorious for failures. MOT expired as it's a project.

I have to tidy some things up to move it, notably finishing the solar mounting brackets to make sure the panels stay attached.
The kitchen and so on need finishing and securing, not been road tested yet with all the work I have done.

As I have come to learn, I am an ambulant wheelchair user (more likely to use a scooter thing when I get one) and am building my own adaptions to survive this tiny island regardless of what happens.

Planned a reverse osmosis unit to clean up water sources.
Put in IT and radio system
Space for tools
Camp bed
An awning would double the space for things like butchery and messy crafts.

A tow hitch would be useull.

I have a ramp on my bus but it needs to be made power activated (another project) so I can wheel on my spaz chariot. My lifting is a bad idea. No shortage of things to do.

If things somehow don't go too bad it will still be fun ,and parked in a field it still cost less than a shed.
13 August 2023, 10:18,
RE: Mechanic help
The guy next door to me rebuilds vehicles as a hobby. He is always out in his garage welding, spraying, spannering and things. I'm not really convinced that you can get advice for what you are doing online except for YT. These guys have years of experience and can identify a noise and strip an engine down, fix it and rebuild in hours.

Many projects like this are only viable if you can do the donkey work yourself as paying someone works out very expensive.

I'd try and find someone local to help and give advice..
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 August 2023, 10:39,
I'm no mechanic, maintenance is no problem but anything major is beyond me.
I would like to put together a Ratbike for post SHTF though.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 August 2023, 16:25,
(13 August 2023, 10:39)bigpaul Wrote: I'm no mechanic, maintenance is no problem but anything major is beyond me.

Rat bike it a lot easier to do. Any twin cradle frame, 400cc diesel Yanmar clone, a cart cvt or Villiers gearbox and of you trundle on a low speed, high fun zombie dodging adventure!

Will run on diesel, paraffin, heating oil and svo with a bit of work.
14 August 2023, 03:59,
My God, I've been riding around on a "rat scooter"!

Didn't even realize it.
14 August 2023, 11:36,
(13 August 2023, 16:25)TechnoCaveDweller Wrote:
(13 August 2023, 10:39)bigpaul Wrote: I'm no mechanic, maintenance is no problem but anything major is beyond me.

Rat bike it a lot easier to do. Any twin cradle frame, 400cc diesel Yanmar clone, a cart cvt or Villiers gearbox and of you trundle on a low speed, high fun zombie dodging adventure!

Will run on diesel, paraffin, heating oil and svo with a bit of work.

I prefer something a bit more 2 stroke trail type with high exhaust.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.