Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bikes, a thread reborn
3 May 2022, 17:46,
RE: Bikes, a thread reborn
(3 May 2022, 16:38)bigpaul Wrote: 5 horses at the back of my place, but I must admit I prefer Donkeys, I'm fostering one at the Donkey Sanctuary.

I love donkeys. I used to brush one when I was a nipper - long time ago now. Donkeys are ferocious. If a person has the stomach then there are plenty of vids out there that show what a donkey thinks about foxes, coyotes and other 4 legged furry biter types. Not for the bunny -huggy types, but I doubt there are many here.

I was always amazed at donkey hooves. They are like iron. Also donkeys can lift! It does make feel awful how they get treated in other countries and I'd never overburden any animal; sadly in may places they do over burden them. Grr!

Donkeys are definitely cool...as you are not a four leg biter, or else death. lol
3 May 2022, 20:52,
Donkeys are very tasty and commonly eaten in Sicily once they get too old to work. The taste and texture could be described as tasting of veal or young beef. Most of the “stranger” Italian dishes were created out of necessity. By using the entire animal or buying the off-cuts, Italians throughout the centuries could save money and still eat a nutritious meal. They still refer to this type of cooking as cucina povera, or “poor cooking”. The recipes are local and come from what was readily available throughout the country’s history.

Italy’s consumption of donkey comes from its agricultural past, when the animals were used hail burdens and to work the fields and food was scarce. Horses and donkeys too old and frail to work any longer were viewed as protein like anything else, and the people ate them out of necessity. The trend was common in the 1800s when doctors prescribed inexpensive equine meat to combat anemia, as it is high in protein and iron and low in fat and cholesterol. Italy still has the highest consumption of equine meat in all of Europe and there are still plenty of delicious dishes to be found throughout rural Italy. Try donkey ragù or stracotto d’asino, made with donkey meat slow cooked for hours and hours. Yummy!

https://modernfarmer.com/2014/12/donkey-delicacies/

https://allthingssicilianandmore.com/tag...eir%20meat.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
4 May 2022, 07:06,
At least if you have a donkey you can shout your defiance and charge the windmills.

So we are doing the SHTF transportation thing again? Where are we going with the roads shut down and travel bans in place anyway? Just a few months ago people were being charged 1,000 pounds for trips to the supermarket outside their sector. Remember that? I remember complaints on here about relatives and close friends being forced to pay up. But that was not SHTF, was it? SHTF is complete freedom and absence of restraint, right? Utopia, go where you want, do what you want, TPTB have all died!

Well, if we are allowed to travel in this imaginary post SHTF world, I have three motorbikes/scooters that get at least 25m/L so I can run them from the dregs of abandoned vehicles for years.

They are quite sturdy and rugged and I do not have to pedal them up hill.

Then I have the Himalayan, which was designed to tractor over rough broken pavement, run on second rate fuel and carry a reasonable load of cargo. It has a range of 300 miles on a tank.

Amazing as it seems, any of my motor bikes is cheaper than a serious E-bike and less than most specialty road or mountain bikes.

You can pick up a good 50cc scooter for less than a thousand pounds. It will carry a 125K load at 30mph for more than 100 miles on a single tank of fuel. It you had your drivers license before year 2000 you do not even need a motorcycle permit or CBT.

My little 50cc will do better than the normally advertised specs but I am in the states and I have messed with the engineering on mine. I find it very adequate for runs to the lake for fishing and trips to the local shops now that the weather has moderated. That has finally happened in the past week.
4 May 2022, 07:47,
as far as I am concerned a Donkey would be for moving stuff about locally not bugging out or going very far.
post SHTF I dont know where people think they are going, any travel would be dangerous as we dont know where other people are and what their intentions, I will have enough to do where I am without going anywhere.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2022, 09:37,
It’s alright for some of us on here BP we have room and means but poor old Pete would be stuffed along with many others on here ! A bike seems the more sensible options for the majority .....Pete start working out pal !
4 May 2022, 09:45,
isnt that what prepping is about, improving ones situation should a SHTF situation arise.
I've been doing this stuff in one form or another most of my adult life.
most people who live in the big cities are going to be stuffed once TSHTF.
plan, plan and then plan some more.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2022, 13:19,
(4 May 2022, 09:37)Straight Shooter Wrote: It’s alright for some of us on here BP we have room and means but poor old Pete would be stuffed along with many others on here ! A bike seems the more sensible options for the majority .....Pete start working out pal !

At seventy chuffin eight dream on.
4 May 2022, 13:36,
(4 May 2022, 13:19)Pete Grey Wrote:
(4 May 2022, 09:37)Straight Shooter Wrote: It’s alright for some of us on here BP we have room and means but poor old Pete would be stuffed along with many others on here ! A bike seems the more sensible options for the majority .....Pete start working out pal !

At seventy chuffin eight dream on.

we are as old, or as young, as we feel, I've known people that were old at 50, my father for instance, but thats Straight's for you.
I'm not that much younger than you are Pete but that dosent stop me trying.