Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First taste of Winter
13 November 2019, 13:47,
First taste of Winter
We are having our first winter storm here. It is really a bit early for a big storm of this nature, they usually hold off until around Christmas.

Woke to a couple of inches of snow yesterday and more fell through the day.

Woke to -14c this morning. Everything cold, frozen. I ain't going out in that!

Roads are clear, ground is white and it is cold as he!! frozen over.

The nicest part of being retired is not having to go out on these impossible mornings. As you guys would say, "put the kettle on, warm up the easy chair, and carry on".

The only reason I can figure that such an early storm would take place is due to me ordering a new motorcycle last week to be delivered this upcoming weekend.

I am sure we have seen the last good weather for six months!
13 November 2019, 17:29,
RE: First taste of Winter
Its going cold here too MB …..no snow yet but the wood stove is fired up , rain and windy , in the normal scheme of things we get the snow about two weeks after you in the US

Been updating security around our place today , reports of shed break in's around this area ….so I have implemented some real interesting and surprising bits and pieces for any that want to introduce themselves unannounced …..it is quite normal really, for this time of year even scumbags buy their kids Christmas presents in-between their drug taking.
13 November 2019, 19:00,
It's pretty damn cold here as well, SS. There's a mean little easterly wind blowing and that always means it's time to get out the cold weather stuff. We've had the open fire lit since mid-October, and the log-burner is standing by....... I quite like this time of year.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
14 November 2019, 14:15,
It always takes me a bit of time to acclimate to the onset of winter.

My spell checker is telling me acclimate is not a word. We use the form acclimatize over here.

Anyway, I spent the entire day attempting to bring the temp up to the normal mark inside the house and never hit it using the "normal" heating on call. I was not willing to bring out all of the emergency heating devices just to jump up that last 2-3 degrees.

More layers you say!

I did try that, but at my age it is the extremities that stay cold forever. You look at the thermometer and it says normal, but your fingers and toes are still numb with cold.

If things run to normal the next cold snap will not affect me like this and I will not notice that the 15-16 degree inside temp is a bit chilly. It just takes me a bit to get used to the change.
22 November 2019, 18:46,
No weather reports of snow yet ……...but it sure looks like it these last few days still cold though windy and rain .
10 December 2019, 11:53,
Smile  RE: First taste of Winter
It's blowing a gale here in East Yorkshire, and pissing it down sideways, going out in it soon, should be refreshing
10 December 2019, 11:57,
same here TH, i'm not going out in it, don't need to.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 December 2019, 15:25,
(10 December 2019, 11:57)bigpaul Wrote: same here TH, i'm not going out in it, don't need to.
I fear no rain in my Stockman, but it is nasty out there.
10 December 2019, 15:35,
yeah, I've got a Barbour jacket and several poncho's.
looks like its set in for the whole day maybe even tomorrow as well.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 December 2019, 14:11,
Glorious sunny day here, time to shoot a few arrows in the garden with a nice cuppa.