Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collapse
29 January 2012, 12:20,
Collapse
I know there's a section for books an films but for some reason ( half asleep) I can't see it so sorry if this is in wrong place, but for those that haven't seen it it's very interesting, my first real understanding of peak oil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCMXC19osCw&feature=fvsr
29 January 2012, 13:00,
RE: Collapse
I've not got the time to watch this but I've seen loads of them before, However, I'm going to assume that there is nothing new. There just can't be.

Peak Oil is a landmark in time where the amount we need exceeds the amount of oil we can get out from the oil fields and this trigger causes us to change the way we do things. Unfortunatley,or fortunately, depending on where you site on the human anti human sideof the fence there is no magic light that comes on to tell us we have hit it.

I, being on the human side, believe that if the government just got out of the way and let the market sort it out we would start seeing substitutes and this would reduce our reliance on oil. By artificially subsidising non viable solutions, such as wind, the government delays investment in the development of stuff that will work.

The main issue that we have is that almost everything we do is reliant on oil for base products, fertiliser, plastics, etc. need oil. Again we need substitutes and the removal of reliance on oil fr transport so that the stuff we cannot make still has oil to use.

In the meantime we have massive oil reserves all over the world.It isn't running out soon, we find new fields all the time and when the price of oild gets high enough we can revisit the oild fields and extract the oil that was not cost effective to extract. Like shale fields.

However, peak oil is a real and tangible thing. I just don't think it is the big problem that we make it out to be. We just need to find alternatives for the real vheavy uses of oil to make it last longer.

Oil is not being replaced, it is going to run out eventually, we just need to manage it. We can if we work together and try not to make political capitalof it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 January 2012, 13:01,
RE: Collapse
i've just put a link on for peak oil, under threats!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.