Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vehicle kit and MRE suggestions
31 July 2023, 16:53,
RE: Vehicle kit and MRE suggestions
when I was backpacking on Dartmoor I used to take packeted meals, tins would have a weight issue and take up a lot of room in a pack, but in a vehicle thats not an issue unless you have to walk out.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 August 2023, 15:50,
Thanks for all the input so far. I have ordered a few different ready meal packs from Millets to keep in my rucksack. I will try use them from time to time, and keep the supply reasonably fresh.
5 August 2023, 21:47,
Just think about it logically.

You are not in grave danger if you miss a meal, even two.

You are in danger if you do not have proper shelter/cover and water.

If you get caught out in a remote area, get rained on and the temperature drops you can die in two or three hours due to hypothermia, even inside your stalled vehicle.

A change of dry clothes and a high quality sleeping bag is what will actually keep you alive until help comes. Anything else is just a comfort item and much of what you list is overkill.

Hopefully, if you don't come home at night someone is going to send out the cavalry. If not perhaps you should reevaluate your home life, work situation, or teach the cat to dial help.
7 August 2023, 12:00,
I would also add a two way radio.
Although to be honest it depends on where you are going. As I live in the outskirts of a town I have RAC cover, several bottles of water and snacks in my daily around town car. Only if I am traveling further do I add to it. I recollect once being stuck on the M1 due to an accident one hot summer evening for 5 hours back in the 80s. I learnt a valuable lesson then about how stupid and unprepared the average person was.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 August 2023, 19:30,
Which also brings up the question of how sketchy is your cellular service?

My provider is trying to sell me 5G when there are places where I have to stand on top of the car on one foot, facing the southwest, and holding a coat hanger straight up in my left hand to get a cell signal. I understand you have much the same situation.

In contrast I have friends in Belize that claim they have coverage from border to border anywhere in the back country.

The farmers don't have electricity or flush toilets but they have 4G!!