Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electricity needs when the grids down.
7 October 2020, 17:37,
RE: Electricity needs when the grids down.
Nice to see you back on the Forum, LS. Your advice on off grid energy always gives me food for thought (and envy).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
8 October 2020, 12:19,
Hi Mary, Good to see you're still around.

As I explained to SS a couple of days ago, we've had some major issues to deal with over the last few years. All of the prep efforts made paid off big time for us

Now we've caught our breath so to speak, I've a little more time for myself, so will be on here from time to time.

Stay safe!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

21 October 2020, 08:09,
We received a letter from our power provider , in essence ......they were asking if there are any vulnerable persons living at our address , and to fill in a form and send it back......this would ensure they could react to the needs of households who are listed..........we filled in the form and sent it back.......make of it what you will ?
21 October 2020, 14:53,
I trust that you declared yourself to be the vulnerable person SS?

Assume that there is faster response to vulnerable persons when there are power failures???
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

21 October 2020, 21:17,
That or it is triage, they want to know who is not worth wasting resources on.

They still shoot horses when they go down.
21 October 2020, 21:57,
I've worked with utilities for several years now. That specific request is so they know who can't be without power/water for long periods of time. they will even plan to get a genny or bowser to you if it is important enough. Even having marine fish and exotic pets can get you special treatment.

That isn't to say it can't be retasked. Most of the data is reported to the regulatory body for that specific industry so it would be easy for them to do so.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 June 2021, 09:54,
Quote:Even having marine fish and exotic pets can get you special treatment.

Interesting - I didn't know that. Doesn't cover cold water fish I suppose?

Anyhoo - I assessed our power needs and found we could cope with well under 750W to run lighting, ignition for gas heating, comms and entertainment so got a pair of 750W IG (inverter generators, one for spare!) that should keep us going quite a while. Their consumption is minimal - especially given our low load requirement; we can get down to ~100W without too much inconvenience and 'zero' would be well manageable. Well, it would have to be, wouldn't it!!!

The idea I have is to have a limit on fuel use and work to that as the main component of electricity use around the property. Storing 100 litres isn't difficult - KEEPING it usable is....

1 litre/day for the 750W sets is the aim..... that works out at under (well under) 1kW/hr but as small as that seems it is a properly manageable level.

I've also got a larger petrol genset (3.5kW - says 5kW but I'm always edging on the safe side) that I've just purchased an LPG conversion kit for. Anyone got experience of gensets running LPG??? I know the power output is lower but I'm more concerned for the cr@p they call 'petrol' these days and have had enough issues with gummed up carbs on garden tools as it is. The genset runs 50% load at 0.85kg/LPG/hour so a couple of 47kg bottles is easily stored and will last long enough for the freezers to keep their stock.

Recommendations for fuel preservatives would be useful if anyone has input?

Got lots of ideas/thoughts/questions on power etc but will peruse the rest of this thread before rabbiting on.
23 June 2021, 11:38,
(21 October 2020, 08:09)Straight Shooter Wrote: We received a letter from our power provider , in essence ......they were asking if there are any vulnerable persons living at our address , and to fill in a form and send it back......this would ensure they could react to the needs of households who are listed..........we filled in the form and sent it back.......make of it what you will ?

we have done the same SS, wife is listed as my carer and I am listed as hers.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 June 2021, 16:11,
kellys_eye, Cold Water fish don't have that much of a power requirement. Marine Fish die quickly without heat or air.

BP, They ask about that for two reasons.
1 If there is a power problem that impacts your residence they can prioritise its resolution.
2 When the power grid comes overloaded and they start restricting power to your homes by the smart meters yours will stay on.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 June 2021, 20:24,
Quote:and they start restricting power to your homes by the smart meters

LOL - they have to fit one at my place first. Without mobile phone coverage they're going nowhere!