Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handles
28 January 2012, 09:01,
Handles
Ive been looking for a new axe. But ive been surprized by the number of man made materials used for handles on all tools not just axes.
What would you prefer natural materials or made man made for your handles?

For natural materials
28 January 2012, 09:53,
RE: Handles
I like the shock absorbancy you get from those yellow glass fibre laminated jobbies

28 January 2012, 10:39,
i would always go for Ash wood handles.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 January 2012, 22:04,
The best physical handle you can have for robustness & longevity is if the axe itself is a one piece forging with integral handle. Unfortunately this can make a mid size axe upwards a bit of a weighty handful. Does the job well, but not ideal if carrying lots of kit, great for battle axes though - ask the Early Saxon Warlords of England.
Fiberglass handles have recently become the vogue. These are super tough and I havn't seen any issues yet with these - Although time will tell.
BP gives good advice with ash shafts. Mine are all refitted as such at some point. Thousands of years of history have proved the qualities of this combination. Also, axes heads using this wood handle design can easily be fitted with a new shaft if the original is damaged.
Avoid cheap axes. I have seen good quality axes come with mediocre shafts. Most companies are dealing in some level of industrial quantity and so do not hand pick superior pieces of wood to work a shaft from. If you can do this and pick a shaft with tight close grain running parallel along the shaft then it should last as long as you are around to use it, barring external physical damage. Treat the shaft with linseed oil by wiping with a rag every 6 months or so. Do not store near radiators and preferably not inside a centrally heated house.

If the axe is also to double up as a fighting axe, then the shaft can be made slightly longer and also a shaped recess and bulb at the tail of the shaft allow some advantageous functionality. Langets can also be added below the head to protect the shaft & to absorb/rechannel shock inpacts at the head end. This is also useful for work duties , but not really necessary.

Did you know the English were renowned through Europe in the middle ages & beyond for favouring the axe as a fighting weapon. In fact continental writers of the time poked political fun at the English for being backwards due to their continued use of an archaic weapon as far as they were concerned. Unfortunately for them, the weapon was far from obselete as they would find out from time to time! :-)
There are many many variants of the axe as a fighting weapon. Also, the style of axe we mostly see now is an extension of American culture, ie fire axes & so. The original English style medieval axe had a quite long head from back to front blade edge. Probably twice the length we see in the usual axes now sold. Also, did you know the classic Red Indian tomahawk shape is actually derived from medieval English/European camp axes. The Red Indians were a stone using culture when white settlers first contacted them. The most prized possession of the Indians from then on was one of the new magical quality & staus symbol axes that they would trade for with the white settlers. They would trade just about anything to get hold of one - which was readily exploited as is human nature.
The Royal Armouries library in Leeds has some pretty fine reference books on Axes.... any knives/parangs/machetes, Bowies etc etc etc!!!! TL