Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do ?
26 April 2020, 09:28,
What would you do ?
You receive a unexpected windfall of £10,000 cash ....Wow ! ......what would you do with it ? ( it would have to be used on your preps or related to it ) .
26 April 2020, 11:42,
RE: What would you do ?
Throw it in the air and shout yippee? Pay off any outstanding debts and then stock up on needed items.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
26 April 2020, 16:30,
Paying off debt is part of prepping, yes it is.

I have little of that, so I would probably apply it to some solar panels and a battery bank.

I could use another deep freeze too.

And another out building down at the end of the house.
26 April 2020, 20:18,
Now where shall I start ?. In order of priority.

First on the list, like MB, a smallish solar setup, about 2kw, panels, controller, battery bank, inverter and all wiring, will cost about £2,000 to £2,500.

Another shed, with a good solid floor, i would put two ibc’s in it, water problems solved permanently, and out of sight, and room for more storage shelving, all up about £800.

A new genny, diesel preferably due easier fuel storage and the number of places and businesses i could scavenge from. I have an old honda petrol genny i bought second hand four months ago (cost me £50) but a nice new shiny one would be good.

A better greenhouse would also be useful as would a couple of electric bikes or mopeds, or even a very old EMP proof diesel 4x4 (just to boast i’ve got one) Smile
22 August 2020, 18:52,
In no particular order.

1. Reloading supplies
2. Solar power and batteries
3. Blacksmithing tools and a course on how to use them properly
4. Night vision weapons scope, Gen 3.
5. Lots of .22 ammunition

OTW
Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
23 August 2020, 14:56,
Lots of .22 ammunition............... obviously you have not heard.........MB is responsible for the serious shortage of ammo .....his front garden is full of lead and spent targets
23 August 2020, 23:37,
Truth is that I have never been a strong proponent of the .22 rimfire over here in the States. We have experienced several severe ammo dry ups in the past decade and .22 rimfire is the first and hardest hit in each case.

I do have a good supply of ammo now, but I seldom shoot the lowly .22 rimfires. It does not have the advantages over here that it does in the UK.

The .22lr is best used in a survival situation with a suppressor. While those are easy to obtain and very acceptable in the UK, over here one would think that they had asked permission to possess a pocket sized nuclear weapon if one tries to purchase a suppressor. That means the .22 does not have the stealth potential here that it does for you folks. If you are going to shoot something you might as well shoot it with something of substance.

During the great raccoon war of 2013 I gave up on the .22lr for anything bigger than a bunny. I had a real nice Ruger 10/22 set up with a night vision scope and found it useless on the coyotes and raccoons in my area. Touching a .22 off at 3am is LOUD too!

I shoot mostly .177/.22 air guns here at home, and at the range it is mostly testing various load combinations for reliability and accuracy in my centerfire rifles.

As for reloading, I do that, and cast my own rifle, pistol and shotgun slugs as well. I reload every major pistol caliber and 15 different rifle calibers, as well as reloading shotgun shells in the major persuasions.

Due to my historical work I have a raft of black powder hardware also, in calibers from .32-.75.

The historical study also led me into museums curation and demonstrations and I hold a master blacksmith rating from the regional metalworking guild. I was the village blacksmith and museum director in the local museum in my home town from 1994-1997.

As valuable as the blacksmithing work in a survival situation would be machinist crafts, and I worked as a tool and die maker part time back in the 1980s when teaching secondary school would not cover the bills of a growing family.

I even created something of note during that era. I worked in the shop that built the first set of forming dies to create the magazines for the first Barrett 50 Sniper rifle. The Barrett factory is in my home town and I went to school with Ronnie Barrett. They farmed out the die work to the company I worked for.

I have worn a lot of hats in my years.
10 September 2020, 12:15,
Party like its 1999 and damn tomorrow, carpe diem.
5 October 2020, 18:19,
Extra PV cells and battery capacity

New log splitter.

Fuel wood.

Extra chest deep freezer.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 October 2020, 21:40,