China
One word - China

Hong Kong has gone.
Taiwan next.

I'm not sure we can escape the Thuycydides Trap

RS
27 July 2020, 21:40,
RE: China
Well actually the lease ran out on Hong Cong.

Everyone knew that was coming and had since the start. I am really surprised they let things slide for as long as they did.

The only thing that has kept Mainland China off Taiwan for 70 years is the U.S. Pacific fleet.

The only real hope we have is that India and China will slug it out in a nuclear/conventional conflict that pits the two largest population groups in the world against each other with the West and Russia staying out of the conflict.

After the economics of the world has been reshaped in the coming few months we will see if we can still afford the luxury of defending an Island we do not own half way around the world.
28 July 2020, 11:13,
(27 July 2020, 19:50)River Song Wrote: One word - China

Hong Kong has gone.
Taiwan next.

I'm not sure we can escape the Thuycydides Trap

RS

I agree, and fear it is unavoidable. One can only hope the Chinese rise up and remove this dangerous dictatorship, but given China's past history they seem to like being ruled by Emperors and Despots. Cough-cough Yes I know Queen Victoria was Empress of the Empire.
28 July 2020, 11:19,
(27 July 2020, 21:40)Mortblanc Wrote: Well actually the lease ran out on Hong Cong.

Everyone knew that was coming and had since the start. I am really surprised they let things slide for as long as they did.

The only thing that has kept Mainland China off Taiwan for 70 years is the U.S. Pacific fleet.

The only real hope we have is that India and China will slug it out in a nuclear/conventional conflict that pits the two largest population groups in the world against each other with the West and Russia staying out of the conflict.

After the economics of the world has been reshaped in the coming few months we will see if we can still afford the luxury of defending an Island we do not own half way around the world.
Rightly pointed out that if not for the U.S. Pacific fleet Taiwan would be under Communist control. When China feels it has the advantage it will invade, whether this becomes a "line in the sand" moment only history will tell.
28 July 2020, 16:06,
No No

The lease did not run out on Hong Kong
It ran out on the New Territories which forms the major part of hong Kong as a whole.

Hong Kong island itself was not part of the deal but we decided to throw it in as a BOGOF

RS
3 February 2021, 23:48,
"The 60 Minutes report described the quest to obtain and control humanity's biodata—and, in turn, control health care's future—as the new space race. The PRC has publicized its ambition to lead the world in DNA science and technology public in a manifesto. "

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/ne...ata-of-80/

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA