Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Log Splitter?
26 October 2020, 16:12,
Which Log Splitter?
Next investment in the wood store is probably going to be a log splitter.

I need advice.

Logs I need to split will mainly be fresh felled spruce, 4 -5ft long and 12" to 30" diameter.

To power it I have 240v 16a into the woodstore now, although I'd really only be happy drawing 10a on that circuit = 2.5Kw max

On the other hand we have 3 phase outlets in the barn at the other end of the house and could conceivably split there and transport output to the wood store. This would be a considerable additional expenditure of effort. Otherwise it would mean running 40ft of cable from barn to wood store. This may be economically viable, in terms of human energy saving, especially if there are advantages to be had running a circular saw from 3 phase.

I think the questions I really need answering are:

* how many tons pressure are required?
* Single phase or three phase?
* What benefit vertical vs horizontal operation?
* any other features I need to look out for?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 October 2020, 19:49,
RE: Which Log Splitter?
Hi there, LS. We also have a logsplitter - open fire and logburner. Ours is a straightforward electric thingy and runs off our garage power supply.. I think it is about 4 tons pressure, and it is pretty good for smaller logs (12 - 18" log). Anything longer would probably need a much longer tray. It is no use for splitting crossways though. and for that we have a nice large Stihl chainsaw! OH can get through a goodly load of logs in about 30minutes.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
26 October 2020, 21:05,
5 ton would do the job just fine, power supply for the splitter 230 volts will do ( the hydraulics ) pump and ram is the biz end ! ....go vertical , it’s easier to read the grain and twists ...this also gives more movements of the log especially big rounds....you can position the log towards you to take a smaller bite because you are eyeing up the wedge position as the ram comes down ....you WILL split any log even with twisted grain .....keep your feet well back .....some tight fresh grain can sort of explode apart ! I have owned my splitter since 2008 , I bought it from a local stockist , the cost then was £790.00 this was a discounted ex display model and is as good now as the day I bought it with zero faults to date .....can’t remember the bloody name of it right now but I will get back tomorrow .

With regards to a crosscut or table saw......get that out off your head right now......it’s quicker and that makes you complacent .....and loose concentration and a three phase motor driving a 750 mm blade ...or a diesel driven lister is no fun at all when you hit tight grain or not feed in straight or jar it slightly ...even with a Irving knife ! .....log up with a chainsaw .......make a cutting platform using a three foot long by 18” wide ....smack four posts ( one on each corner) to hold the log ......then load the logs to be cut between the posts ....posts need to be three feet above top of slave log .....sledge in the posts ....I have used steel scaffolding padlocks .....in a week or so you could well become a real hard bastard just like me ! .
27 October 2020, 06:52,
Thanks Mary. Useful to know that you're managing with 230v supply. I need something that will split the full 4 to 5ft long logs as this is the dimension that I stack for drying. Interesting that your husband is cutting to length by chain saw. That's exactly how I'm doing it too.

SS thanks for this. So I'll need to look for 5T pressure, vertically oriented. That's excellent. Now I can start researching specifications and costs with a view to picking up something appropriately discounted next spring.

Re table saw, I agree with you these things look like a big accident just waiting to happen. I'm already cutting split timber to logs using a chainsaw. My concern with this is that its creating a lot of sawdust. I hold the split lengths in a steel jig that has adjustable toothed jaws, which allows good access with the chain saw. I'll stay with this method for the time being and ignore the table saw ( that's £500 saved so I'm not complaining )

This is the saw jig that I'm using. Works very well and folds down flat for storage. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http...AdAAAAABAY
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 October 2020, 19:10,
Lots of sawdust, LS? Do you have chickens? I use the sawdust in the coops. It then goes on compost heaps when it is cleared out. No wastage.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
28 October 2020, 11:30,
LS, I have a table saw and it is much more convenient to use than a chainsaw. The dangerous bits don't wave around for one.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 October 2020, 12:50,
The make of my splitter is BALFOR , made in Italy . SD what size blade on your table saw ? Do you use a sliding carriage ? .
30 October 2020, 15:21,
Good point Mary.

No chickens, but we do of course have compost bins....currently full to bursting and building of new bins is high on the list of winter to-dos
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 October 2020, 15:27,
Thanks SS, I'll ask further advice when I see what comes available here.

SDS currently thinking that Chain saw will cope with most of my needs. Especially so as in the here and now my consumption of logs is quite meagre. (3C - 8C and rain here for the last 48hrs, and we've just fired up the stove to get a burst of IR heat into the house. to supplement radiators) Cooking immediately transferred to the stove of course....
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 October 2020, 14:26,
don't know if you have a UK purchase option - but in the US there are models that operate on the standard horizontal "bed" and it can also be stood up vertical >>> it allows those bigger rounds to be ground rolled & skidded onto the splitting platform without a lift needed ...