Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baluns
18 February 2021, 20:16,
Baluns
For anyone looking to build an HF antenna you will probably know it's actually pretty simple, it's just two bits of wire attached to the inner and outer of the coax cable. However you can improve the performance just by introducing a simple balun at the feed point.
For anyone who has played with radio a lot you will have no doubt built your own balun but for anyone else I would highly recommend this guy.
I think he builds them to order so you can let him know if you want extra performance on the 80/40m bands, or a bit of extra power.
For the price it was a no brainer for the quality of the item.
https://www.hamgoodies.co.uk/baluns

I use one for my NVIS dipole with the feed at around 20ft and dropping down to around 6 ft at the ends, You could walk 20ft away and you wouldn't notice a thing, very covert.
19 February 2021, 11:37,
Thumbs Up  RE: Baluns
Good point Joe, and very true. The connection point where coax splits to the two legs of the dipole really does require a Balun.

An even easier way to setup this sort of antenna is end fed, which requires a transformer of a different type at the feed point of the antenna. I'll post a separate thread with a link for this.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580