Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Options
7 January 2021, 15:48,
RE: Food Options
Check out all the offerings in the large can lineup. I do now see the eggs and other breakfast foods in #10 cans on the drop down menu.
11 January 2021, 03:18,
Thanks MB, that gives me a good idea of what to look for.
11 January 2021, 04:30,
The problem I have encountered with commercial canned long term dried foods is that most of them reconstitute into a tasteless mass of wallpaper paste and the meat portions are tough and chewy.

I know the Mountain House foods are tasty when prepared but I do not know if you can get them in the UK and at the moment they are prices out of reach for all but the wealthy.

I do know that if I were in the UK I would be stocking up on those good canned meat pies you have. Stack them up and rotate them out as consumed. We have nothing like that over here.
11 January 2021, 17:35,
Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies £0.49p at Farmfoods, most supermarkets £2.00.
12 January 2021, 01:47,
Watch it Pete, I have not had my supper yet!

I think I am going to open a can of beef stew. I have one that is sitting here serving no useful purpose and it is cold outside. Stew is always good on a nippy night.
12 January 2021, 02:42,
Re:
https://mountainhouse.com/collections/fr...ried-meats

I have tried to store mostly Mountain House and Oregon Freeze Dry foods. The main reason being that they have been in the business longer than anyone else and have an established track record. They have also been a primary supplier to the US military for over 50 years. The great majority of LRP-CW (Long Range Patrol and Arctic Cold Weather) rations were produced by Mountain House. These are the rations served on the nuclear missile boomers which are deployed for long sea tours.

So far as I know Mountain House and Oregon Freeze dry is the only producer which has continuously conducted long-term shelf life, safety and nutrition testing of their products over long periods of 25 years or more. This was done because the US military requires it.

I am now using up long term food storage which I put up before the Y2K rollover which is still tasty and good enough to serve to the New York Times food critics. The new comers to this industry, Wise, etc. cannot approach the nutritional balance, appearance, taste and overall quality of Mountain House or Oregon Free Dry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
15 January 2021, 02:25,
(11 January 2021, 17:35)Pete Grey Wrote: Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies £0.49p at Farmfoods, most supermarkets £2.00.

Ah yes, well done Pete. Tried some Asda tinned Stew, it's probably the best quality one I've tried so far. And Asda also do some really nice quality Big Soups, Beef and Vegetable, Chicken and Vegetable my favourites, and pretty cheap too, around 60p a tin.
15 January 2021, 13:28,
(11 January 2021, 04:30)Mortblanc Wrote: The problem I have encountered with commercial canned long term dried foods is that most of them reconstitute into a tasteless mass of wallpaper paste and the meat portions are tough and chewy.

I know the Mountain House foods are tasty when prepared but I do not know if you can get them in the UK and at the moment they are prices out of reach for all but the wealthy.

I do know that if I were in the UK I would be stocking up on those good canned meat pies you have. Stack them up and rotate them out as consumed. We have nothing like that over here.

According to the web site below, they used to be available in the UK up until 2017, but an alternative is provided. It does seem very expensive at £5.50 a meal. Not to worry, off out now on the hunt for Canned Pies Smile

https://basecampfood.com/collections/mountain-house
15 January 2021, 17:18,
Bought some freeze dried Knor soup 200 servings per tub , I bought two........ thick vegetable and minestrone ...five year shelf life , and as Pete has said those FB steak and kidney tinned pies from farm foods are a great buy at 49 p I bought ten some months back ....don’t know if they are the same price now ......we have not set foot in any shops for ages only click n collect at the moment for us .
15 January 2021, 22:14,
Farmfoods price was correct at time of posting, all theirs canned food is reasonably priced.