Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather Threats & the Egyptian River
14 February 2021, 15:00,
RE: Weather Threats & the Egyptian River
(14 February 2021, 14:53)Pete Grey Wrote: Coal....kindling....damp matches....taking out the ashes not this generation.

Bedtime....2 or 3 blankets....eiderdown (passed down from your nan and recovered by mom)....hot water bottle....or a fire brick (heated in the oven and wrapped in flannel)....pyjama trousers tucked in your socks....woolly hat....we’ve been there.
we've all been there, but not this generation.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 February 2021, 15:50,
And not forgetting the sheets of newspaper ( broadsheets ) layered between the sheets .....oh aye , we were pretty affluent back then.......broken biscuits , cut apples and the big stair at your elder brothers waiting to see ( and judge when ) all this gear was coming you’r way ...plus the helping it on remarks......mam when is ........ going to get new shoes or jacket , sometimes I would work both in the same sentence ........soon son.....soon .
14 February 2021, 15:53,
didnt happen to me SS, only child.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 February 2021, 13:32,
MB and CH good to hear that you're treating the conditions as business as usual ;-)

I love the two last lines on the extreme weather warning.

Over here we get TV weather forecasts that see the need when forecasting
rain to tell us all to carry umbrellas, and when forecasting cold to wear a coat outdoors.

Can you imagine how confused the population would be without these instructions?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

1 April 2021, 18:53,
This might be difficult for a Brit to believe, and I swear it is not an April Fool joke.

At this very moment in the north part of Kentucky there is snow blowing sideways, visibility is down to about 50 meters, and we are beginning to get some ground cover!

Mind you that last week I was out riding the Chinese motorbike in shirt sleeves at a temp of 21C. I had to mow my lawn last week.

It is snowing on the newly budding leaves and we officially have snow on the buttercups.
1 April 2021, 19:29,
The temperature tuesday at Kew gardens was 24.5C, hottest March day for years, but we are going into “a cold trough”, Easter monday forecast to be 7C. Over night temperatures 0C or below, with possible snow on high ground.
Just as the fruit trees are coming into blossom. Watch what seeds/plants you are putting out.
1 April 2021, 22:47,
Heaters are on in both poly tunnels , fleeced up sugarsnap peas .....clotched up onions and cabbage with mini hoops and polythene , I have more to cover tomorrow .....it’s the price we pay to get an early crop ......global warming my arse ......global cooling would be more accurate , the new term is now described as climate change ? To cover Any scenario ? ......earthquakes, volcanos , and strange weather swings and to top it all off covid 19 ....we are all going to become survivalists ! Weather we like it or not .
5 April 2021, 11:07,
Winter was no fun when I was a kid, we had an outside toilet, and breaking the ice on the bog to take a dump is not funny. One Coal fire downstairs and the rest of the house freezing. Which is why we were always active. If we weren't at School Ma would kick us out in a morning and didn't expect to see us till dinner or Tea. No way on Earth would She allow us to sit in front of the Telly during the day, Rain! no excuse put anorak on. We'd come home dirty and Muddy with probably a few scratches & bruises thrown in.
5 April 2021, 12:56,
(5 April 2021, 11:07)Tartar Horde Wrote: Winter was no fun when I was a kid, we had an outside toilet, and breaking the ice on the bog to take a dump is not funny. One Coal fire downstairs and the rest of the house freezing. Which is why we were always active. If we weren't at School Ma would kick us out in a morning and didn't expect to see us till dinner or Tea. No way on Earth would She allow us to sit in front of the Telly during the day, Rain! no excuse put anorak on. We'd come home dirty and Muddy with probably a few scratches & bruises thrown in.

sounds like we had a similar upbringing TH-minus the outside privy!
was always out during the day never mind the weather, usually alone sometimes with the dog-always exploring.
telly didnt go on until teatime, usually for dad to watch the cricket match.
6 April 2021, 21:14,
Hailstones then snow high winds then warm sunshine ....repeated all day today , although forecasted still a bit weird .....tonight temp dropping below freezing .......wood stove is on ......its 27 c in here right now ! Wild child made some beef stew with dumplings had a huge bowl for dinner and a chunk of homemade bread ......and rice pudding to finish off ..........the dogs bollocks ! .

The forecast does not look good tomorrow either .