Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Real Mid range comms system 446
14 February 2021, 16:18, (This post was last modified: 14 February 2021, 16:20 by Joe.)
The Real Mid range comms system 446
I have been looking at an alternative comms system for a while now but we have very few good options available. Granted if you are a Ham radio operator then you can use 2m vhf and their very good repeater network but this is not ideal if you just want to contact the family when the SHTF. Are you seriously going to persuade the wife to sit her Ham test ? Doubtful.
So what other options do you have ? Yes you could use CB but the band is normally full of interference and people playing music so it's not ideal.
The next alternative is those 446Mhz walkie talkies you see in argos for £20 but are they any good for anything over half a mile? not really.
But that 446Mhz is very good, it's just the equipent that's poor.
So what if you use a proper dual band radio with 25-50w of power and a proper antenna eg colinear on the roof. Hey presto you are now out to 20-30 miles base to mobile comms, just what you need when the SHTF.
Now the techy folk will be quick to spot that this is slightly illegal but how often do you plan to use it ? Plus you are hiding in plain sight.
Plus any testing you need to do can be carried out late at night when other users are not using the band.
The techy part.
For the base station you would need something like a Comet GP3 mounted high on the roof, it's only 6 foot so no one will notice it. For the car you can use a magmount uhf 6db colinear,which gives very good performance and lives in the boot till you need it.
And for the rig you can pick up any mobile UHF rig that does 25-50w, Ebay is full of them for under £100.
14 February 2021, 18:37,
RE: The Real Mid range comms system 446
Good info. In the USA best option is the UHF General Mobile Radio Service. For other than low-powered portable units it which requires an affordable licence, $70 for five years, which permits anyone in the family to use the radios, up to 50w in portable or mobile voice operation, including repeaters. GMRS is a UHF Citizens Band intended originally for agricultural operations, in forestry, family farms and ranches. Prior to widespread use of mobile cellular phones it also became very popular among suburban commuters and family businesses. Ability to use coax-fed mobile or base antennas and mobile radios and repeaters up to 50w provides good local coverage.

Portable units used on shared GMRS/FRS channels which do not require a licence must have fixed antennas, not exceed 2 watts, and cannot be capable of split-frequency repeater operation. Family Radio Service (FRS) rules are similar to PMR446 in the UK.

Portables capable of split-frequency repeater use and which are capable of being connected to a coax-fed mobile or base antenna require the $70 GMRS licence.

The Multi-Use Radio Service or MURS is a VHF Citizens Band which requires no licence, and permits coax fed antennas, but peak power cannot exceed 2 watts. Originally intended as an itinerant business service used mostly in building trades and warehouse operations, today it is widely used for Neighborhood Watch, Citizens Corps and Medical Reserve Corps, as well as for family communication. Because there are no antenna restrictions, portables can be connected to a coax-fed mobile or base antenna commonly used for Marine VHF band and give reasonable local coverage. FM operation is limited to narrow-band on all but two of the channels, which are in the 154-156 Mhz range.

It is common for 2-way radio shops to re-purpose older Land Mobile Radio service business or public safety radios for use on the GMRS or MURS.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
19 February 2021, 14:30,
Spot on Joe.

A worthwhile addition to the radio and antenna is he knowledge how to use them.

A good beginner's bible can be had for just £5.99.... The RSGB Foundation License manual covers all things radio in a very easy to digest kinda way.

LINK: https://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Online...html#a1711
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

19 February 2021, 22:05,
Good link LS, at least the new test is a bit more accessable than the C&G I sat years ago.
23 February 2021, 13:53,
The manual is a good guide for people new to radio, and covers all of the most important stuff needed.

Getting licensed is not mandatory, especially for people buying radio as a prep. They just have to restrict transmission to PMR 446 and CB frequencies at this time.

Joe: see historic, slightly heated threads about licensing.... its not for everyone
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

23 February 2021, 19:23,
I totally understand the issues with being licensed, even after passing the test I never seen the point in applying. I don’t even know if my old C&G is still accepted. It’s my day job so playing with radio’s now is like doing overtime lol. But I did deploy a Nvis antenna when Covid kicked off as I suspected this could have went north.