Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kick starting the World.
14 February 2021, 22:22,
Kick starting the World.
Now imagine the scenario, the zombies have ate 99% of the population and have now died off but now we need to get things back online.
What do we need ?
I have looked at this scenario a lot and it tends to boil down to food production, water supply/sewage, power and comms.
So ideally we would be looking at a small town/village in the country side which has a stream for water and nearby fields. I would expect some of the fields to be recovering naturally and hopefully seeds could be replanted.
That leaves power.
So I have looked at the possibility of bringing windfarms back online, If we could realign the windturbines into the prevailing wind then we would be supplying power to the grid but since the grid is now probably down we would need to open breakers on the 11kv lines in order to keep the power to the local town/village. After that hey presto we should have power as long as the wind keeps blowing.
What else would you add if your the Mayor of New Town ?
15 February 2021, 10:33,
RE: Kick starting the World.
sorry, I have no interest in rebuilding society, let it rot where it lies.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 February 2021, 10:54,
fields do not recover naturally, they will be overgrown very quickly, all land needs to be managed or it will revert to nature, with 99% of the population dead there will be no land management.
for seeds, you will need a stock of heirloom or heritage seeds, non F1 or Hybrid, without seeds you wont be growing anything.
as for opening the power breakers you've been watching too many episodes of "survivors".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 February 2021, 13:01,
BP is correct with regards seeds (you should get hem right now if you have not got them already ) Joe.......I think starting up after the events will come a long time after years after , but nothing is impossible and I am certain some will try in many different forms ......it will be hard Joe even In commune type constructs.......I don’t think BP will be joining one anytime soon.....
15 February 2021, 13:39,
SS is quite correct, any type of restart will be many years, many decades after the initial event.
first we have to survive then adapt to the new circumstances.
15 February 2021, 14:37,
I think Joe might find page 1 of "Surviving 10, 20 or more years after SHTF" under the heading Rebuilding Society, written by our old friend John, very informative.
it might also be worth him going through the SUK files site.
15 February 2021, 14:56,
Btw I am hearing of seed shortages in Ireland .......due to restrictions recently brought in by our EU friends to stop us getting our grubby little hands on them here on zee mainlanden .......vee vill fight zem ont zee beach housens
Sooner they disappear up their own arse the better and get rid of this big cats arse .....no disrespect intended to any pussies . BDG got your ears on son !
15 February 2021, 20:29,
BP isolating the grid to a smaller area is relatively simple, I can do a thread on it some time.
15 February 2021, 22:37,
A Mr. Wizard meets Tolkien thread.

No need to isolate the system at all Joe!

If you are down to 1% of the population one operational wind turbine will power the entire island.

Factor in the situation where all of the major power sucking industrial centers are no longer in operation and the former government required everyone to change to LED lighting and the draw will be nearly nothing.
16 February 2021, 00:02,
The problem you will have is there will be a lot hanging off the grid once every thing goes down. For example the wee old guy at number 45 who left his 2kw heater on etc etc.
If you expect to get the Grid back up then it's going to be very difficult but if you have a village with a 11kv line feeding it and 3 miles up the road you just happen to have a windfarm then it's not impossible to open the main breaker feeding the general area and have the power from the windfarm supplying only the village.
It's an interesting subject, although I'm an engineer and deal with power systems it's not exactly my field but it's something I am trying to get up to speed on because if we do end up with a very long term event or even teotwawki then it's worth looking at possible ways to restore some systems.
I doubt we have much chance of bring a large gas or coal power station back online but we might have a chance with a few windmills.