Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple throw it out of a window Shortwave antenna
19 February 2021, 11:49,
Simple throw it out of a window Shortwave antenna
Perhaps the easiest antenna for emergency communications on Shortwave is a simple wire connected straight to the radio.

This works adequately for reception, but for transmitting requires a matching unit and choice of a correct length of wire to match the transmitted frequency.

All important is the matching unit ( it will make reception better too). These are now readily available on the usual trading websites.

I use this one, which has a handy reminder of wire length needed and doubles up as an spool for the antenna wire itself.

These can be had for as little as £10.00.

See https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-No-T...Sws3RfkVNH

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

19 February 2021, 21:50, (This post was last modified: 19 February 2021, 21:51 by Joe.)
RE: Simple throw it out of a window Shortwave antenna
That looks like a tidy unit, have you tried a back to back test against a half wave dipole ?
23 February 2021, 13:49,
RE: Simple throw it out of a window Shortwave antenna
(19 February 2021, 21:50)Joe Wrote: That looks like a tidy unit, have you tried a back to back test against a half wave dipole ?

I've never tested as use is entirely different. The end Fed wire would be less efficient, but efficient enough for emergency communications. It wins out against a dipole in being so much simpler to deploy. I think only radio geeks will go to the trouble of setting up a dipole*

*For non geeky folk: A simple Dipole is two equal length pieces of wire aligned end to end, with the two ends in the center connected to the center and shield of a coaxial cable. The snags are that the lengths of wire each need to be around 30ft long and suspended 15 to 30 ft above the ground. Not something to take on unless you're really keen.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580