Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you Prepping for.
31 May 2021, 22:18,
RE: What are you Prepping for.
Link below is to a relevant work I used in another life to teach young "field grades" about the cycle of empires. MB is probably familiar with this one. Along with Aristotle’s bits on the cycles of life: the 80 year cycle of men from founders (hard men who make things better), heirs (sons of founders who remember hard times), imitators (spoiled grandsons who have never known anything but comfort and disregard Grandfather’s strange stories), and the decadent generation (those who haven’t heard the stories, studied only politically correct revisionist history in public school and know nothing about reality, but only self indulgence). Cycles of nature and empires. Glubb captures succinctly in his attempt to explain the decline of his own empire.

http://people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
5 June 2021, 19:06,
That is almost a direct reflection of Frederic Jackson Turner, the founder of the study of American History as we know it today. Except Turner stresses developmental change rather than decline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_thesis

Turner's work was in 1893, 60 years earlier. Turner was still living in the era of accent. The frontier had just been declared at an end by the 1890 census. Every state in our union had more then 2 people per square mile. Some still barely top that number.

What that means is that it was post WW2 before the first wave of frontiersmen was over and the second wave had developed in many areas.
15 June 2021, 18:04,
I'm prepping for social upheaval. Whatever event causes catastrophe it will create a mad dash for safety - clearing the towns and cities - and they'll all head for areas such as where I am......

I (we, locally) don't want to have to move out of the way so we're having to address the issue of 'immigrants' and what to do about them.
16 June 2021, 08:31,
oh not the Golden Horde again, you really think 21st Century Urban people are that intelligent? well they arent, they are stupid as some of their action in the pandemic have shown.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 June 2021, 19:15,
I just don’t believe people will not give up without a fight BP , some will make it to most area's even yours and defiantly around here where I am .....people desperate and hungry will do really desperate things....people with children will be a even bigger problem.....better to plan for the worst case scenario and play it safe.
16 June 2021, 21:51,
I like 99.9% of the UK will sit in their homes waiting for Doris and his boys to turn up. It's that 0.1% we will have issues with.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 June 2021, 00:16,
(15 June 2021, 18:04)kellys_eye Wrote: I'm prepping for social upheaval. Whatever event causes catastrophe it will create a mad dash for safety - clearing the towns and cities - and they'll all head for areas such as where I am......

I (we, locally) don't want to have to move out of the way so we're having to address the issue of 'immigrants' and what to do about them.

Please tell me more.
17 June 2021, 07:52,
(16 June 2021, 19:15)Straight Shooter Wrote: I just don’t believe people will not give up without a fight BP , some will make it to most area's even yours and defiantly around here where I am .....people desperate and hungry will do really desperate things....people with children will be a even bigger problem.....better to plan for the worst case scenario and play it safe.

you really think people will leave where they live, where they have been paying a mortgage for 10, 15, 20 years? even long term renters will stay put. where all their wordly goods are.
most people dont have a clue about the British countryside, most dont know where their food comes from.
without electricity and fuel they wont get far. they probably wont even have the right footwear or clothes.
most likely get attacked by others like them when they've only gone a few miles.
dont give them too much credit, most people will sit and wait for govt and NGO assistance.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 June 2021, 09:34,
BP ....we have been here many times pal over many years .......so I will say with respect .....somewhere inside both our views we will find the answer , there is no right or wrong .
17 June 2021, 09:44,
your probably right my friend, but I think too many people give modern urban types too much credit, whilst there will be looting and robbery within all major cities, I dont think major evacuations are feasible in the UK, in USA yes they are used to it but not over here, I dont think the majority have the brain cells for it.
just my opinion of course, based on a life time of personal experience and observation.