Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you using Covid as a training exercise.
25 February 2021, 22:36,
Are you using Covid as a training exercise.
I think most will agree that Covid is not the Big One that most people see it as, if anything it’s a relatively slow moving low level event, in fact it could be described as incredibly boring. However at the start of the event I decided to treat it as something different, I treat it as a very good training exercise.
I had never experienced a pandemic before, I think the worst I had seen was in the late 60s/ early 70 when every other person had severe flu like symptoms. So this was something relatively new on the radar and based on the China modelling was running around the 2.3% kill rate and then mainly older folk. So it wasn’t exactly Ebola with a spread rate of measles.
However from the start I treated it as something far more deadly because in my view something far more deadly could come alone pretty soon.
In fact this is an ideal training environment for greater pandemics and it provides a massive insight into what will work and what won’t.
So has anyone else tried to turn this negative into a small positive?
26 February 2021, 10:02,
RE: Are you using Covid as a training exercise.
I think Covid is only the start, with over 7 Billion people on the planet there is a lot of scope for other diseases to arrive.
Covid wasnt boring for those that had it, died from it or their families.
I keep seeing reports in medical journals about something called DISEASE X which may be the big one.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 February 2021, 10:59,
Very true BP but from a prepping point of view Covid was very slow and with a relatively low kill rate so it’s not a massively terrifying event like say a highly contagious Ebola would be. Yes it’s sad for those that died but my point is it’s easy to avoid.
Even standard Ebola is not a big deal, you just avoid people.
My point is if you detach from the emotive side and look at it from a clinical point of view then it’s not exactly the big pandemic we could be hit with, hence my boring comment.
My main point is we know there’s bigger things to come in the future and if you learn from Covid you might miss the virus with 95% kill rate.
26 February 2021, 12:22,
my standard procedure with any disease or pandemic is to avoid other people, there isnt much that goes on here out in the sticks during the winter months so its not difficult to do, I'm a bit of a recluse anyway.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 February 2021, 15:07,
We're treating the Covid situation as a a stress test.

What we've learned:

Supplies and kit have been adequate

This crisis has unfolded very much slower and prolonged longer than we'd anticipated. Several times we've dropped our guard and have learned from this.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 February 2021, 16:20,
Yes it’s been a good trial and test for sure , but longer than I expected....but now realise the full implications of what’s coming next ( we ain’t seen Nothing yet boys n girls !......nothing ) but that’s for another post or thread .

Things we did learn , not enough masks .......everything else we had covered .......but a refocus on storage became more obvious .....and has been dealt with and completed .
27 February 2021, 10:11,
for the most part Covid has been a disease of the cities and the large urban sprawl, which sort of makes sense, more "hosts" for the nasty little bugs to inhabit.
out here in the countryside the infection rate is low and has been low all the time the cities had the high infection rates, the only time they went up a bit is when the masses were let out of the cities last summer and they decided to come to the South West in their droves, even then the only places that got infected were the usual holiday hot spots on the coast, out here inland life went on nearly as normal.