Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Comms SHTF
15 June 2021, 17:59,
RE: Public Comms SHTF
People like us have comms sorted. The general public do not.

A long time ago some smart guy thought that there were plenty of old mobiles going free and created a facility for a mobile phone exchange. It is rolled out in places like Africa to provide comms to villages. Apparently it is inexpensive and provides good coverage. It would more than replace a PMR446 system and be much easier to use.

Not seen one advertised anywhere but yet again I've not seen an advert for an Uzi either.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 June 2021, 18:41,
Mobile phones are too risky and too individual i.e. you can only talk one-on-one. This factor was always a point I made for people using them at sea. Instead of purchasing a proper marine VHF they'd go out and rely on a mobile phone...... calling for help using a mobile in a distress situation instead of a 'general broadcast' on the emergency channel that would bring the nearest vessel in moments.
16 June 2021, 10:46,
I dont see the need for any comms, any public announcement especially if from the BBC will be left wing BS.
I'm only interested in what happens in my local area, both now and post SHTF, and I can find that out for myself I dont need a radio to do it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 June 2021, 21:53,
(15 June 2021, 18:41)kellys_eye Wrote: Mobile phones are too risky and too individual i.e. you can only talk one-on-one. This factor was always a point I made for people using them at sea. Instead of purchasing a proper marine VHF they'd go out and rely on a mobile phone...... calling for help using a mobile in a distress situation instead of a 'general broadcast' on the emergency channel that would bring the nearest vessel in moments.
When tshtf I want a bit of privacy in my comms. Not broadcasting my intentions and whereabouts over a large area.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 June 2021, 08:52,
when TSHTF I want privacy...fullstop.
being a recluse has its advantages.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 June 2021, 23:00,
You don't get privacy over a mobile phone - haven't you been keeping up with this type of issue? Mobile phones were DESIGNED to track you.

Even point to point radio comms can be easily tracked if someone was so inclined (triangulation) but the actual content of the message can still be encrypted if need be.

My idea of comms in a SHTF situation is to keep my head down, STFU and LISTEN. And by listening across the bands you can get a much better picture of events than hoping for someone to tell you in a phone call.....
19 June 2021, 07:36,
any communication/broadcast post SHTF is going to be too general too national to be of much use to me in my local area, I need to know who is doing what, who is moving about near to me and I can only do that by patrolling, no radio is going to give me that information.
19 June 2021, 07:53,
I intend to do the exact same thing KE ....any information would be helpful ! No matter where it comes from so long as common sense is used......there will be ham radio people wanting to help others fora start .
19 June 2021, 20:27,
You don't get privacy over a mobile phone now. Do you think anyone is tracking, recording or analysing the traffic for these African installations?

When tshtf local mobiles will be fine for what we want.
Skean Dhude
20 June 2021, 08:13,
I doubt there will be much "traffic" over the air waves post SHTF, maybe the first few weeks to a month but as the mortality rate begins to sky rocket things will get quieter, a whole lot quieter.