Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
49Mhz Band
7 March 2021, 22:02,
49Mhz Band
Has anyone considered the top end of 49Mhz as a possible SHTF frequency ?
In the past the band did have some activity with kids walkie talkies, baby monitors etc but they have gradually moved to other frequencies.
In addition there is ham kit that will work on these frequencies.
What's left down there now ? In fact the whole of low band seems pretty quiet apart from the very odd military activity which has mostly disappeared since the Mould system shut down.
9 March 2021, 15:22,
RE: 49Mhz Band
(7 March 2021, 22:02)Joe Wrote: Has anyone considered the top end of 49Mhz as a possible SHTF frequency ?
In the past the band did have some activity with kids walkie talkies, baby monitors etc but they have gradually moved to other frequencies.
In addition there is ham kit that will work on these frequencies.
What's left down there now ? In fact the whole of low band seems pretty quiet apart from the very odd military activity which has mostly disappeared since the Mould system shut down.

Not much readily available kit around Joe.

If you wanted a private network it may fit the bill, but there are easier options.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 March 2021, 15:23,
Not much readily available kit around Joe.

If you wanted a private network it may fit the bill, but there are easier options.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 March 2021, 21:52,
Very true LS, you do get a lot of HF rigs with 50mhz but they are expensive. A more interesting development is the new Anytone AT588 transceiver that covers 68 to 88mhz. Granted it won’t cover 49mhz but you could easily find a few spare channels around 69mhz.
Traditionally low band was MOD and Fire Brigade but they jumped over to Airwave years ago, I’m not sure if anyone is down there now.
I think the Swiss run a Freeband on 69mhz which is very popular.
10 March 2021, 14:20,
That's exactly what I meant Joe, there are plenty of low cost options using well sorted equipment. Like that Anytone unit you mention.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580