Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mitigating Risk
18 June 2021, 22:46,
Mitigating Risk
One of the things I do as a survival strategy on a financial level is to never drive on Friday after 3pm.

The statistics of the insurance institutes and underwriters tell us that 57% of all accidents occur between 3pm Friday to 7am Saturday. 80% of them occur at intersections or junctions. Of the 20% that occur elsewhere most are single vehicle failures to negotiate turns or curves and alcohol is a factor in most of those.

If you keep your insurance rates down you can buy more rice and beans! If that matters to you.
18 June 2021, 23:23,
RE: Mitigating Risk
MB that’s PURE LOGIC.
19 June 2021, 07:38,
Solid sound advice MB .......thanks for sharing !
19 June 2021, 07:43,
I usually dont drive anywhere especially long distance on a Saturday, thats normally when all the idiots are on the roads, most holiday places change over on a Saturday so you have one lot leaving and one lot arriving.
I dont do much, read none since the pandemic started, Motorway driving, there are no motorways near my location, tail backs and road accidents on those roads are worse at weekends and during the summer months.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 June 2021, 08:59,
Over the many years that I have been 'driving' I have noticed a Huge Increase in the number of vehicles on the roads.
I have also noticed that the Standard of Driving has got worse and the attitude of other 'drivers' has become more aggressive.
Overall it has to be said that I am none too happy with the current state of affairs on the roads - the Highway Code seems to be a thing of the past.
Therefore I limit my road use to those journeys that 'have' to be made and at the appropriate time to avoid as many other vehicles as possible.
That seems to be life on the road these days.
22 June 2021, 09:07,
there are more people driving in this country now because of the shortage of and banning of some foreign holiday destinations because of covid, so therefore there are more cars domestically.
most people drive on motorways and major highways than drive on rural roads, when they come to driving on rural roads they havent got a clue.
also why I am on the subject of rural areas, most people seem to have never heard of the "country code" and act like farmers fields are their front garden, live stock killed by dogs not under control is rising as is bad parking in front of field gates, one guy had his car covered in slurry-good job it wasnt a convertible.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 June 2021, 11:19,
Mitigating risk in our area is all about reducing your exposure to anything that will impact on your and yours life and health.

It isn't just about not doing things but changing how you do things to reduce risk. Looking at what you are trying to do and seeing if there is another, less risky way.

It is usually worded Avoid, Transfer, Mitigate and Accept.
Avoid. Is what you are doing when you don't go out on a Friday.
Transfer. Is to move the risk to someone else. You send someone else out on the Friday.
Mitigate. Is to reduce the risk. Go out on the Friday but only in a big car and use quiet roads and shops.
Accept. Fuck it. I really want to save that extra £2 in thes

In reality it boils down to Avoid, Transfer and Accept. Mitigate and accept are bedfellows. When you accept a risk you usually mitigate it as much as possible before you do so. That is why I link them into one, Mitigate and Accept.

All of these should be used depending on the risk and reward involved.

Avoid if the risks isn't worth the reward.
Transfer if someone has a different skillset or you don't care about them
Mitigate and Accept if you can reduce the risk to something worth the reward.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 June 2021, 11:30,
depending on where one lives makes the risks different.
I dont drive anywhere on a Saturday, too many idiots on the roads once I get out of my immediate area.
I dont drive on motorways except very early before the plebs are, I dont drive on motorways much because I'm not near one, major highways are avoided if possible and I use country roads.I prefer going across country.
not a tourist area, there are a couple of camp sites a few miles away and a couple of B&B's in town but they are empty most of the time.
the only thing we have to look out for here on the roads is tractors and the odd escaped sheep.