Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inflation has arrived
29 June 2021, 00:01,
Inflation has arrived
After a decade of almost zero inflation the pandemic has brought on shortages that the market is gasping to cope with. The result is some very sudden and absurd prices.

Today I had to purchase some simple building supplies to deal with an emergency repair.

I paid $50 US for a sheet of 11.5mm OSB. That same sheet would have cost me $8 eighteen months ago.

I also paid $14 for a sheet of wallboard that would have cost me $5 before the pandemic.

I have quit buying beef, simply can't justify the prices. Soup scraps are $30 per kilo.

Milk has doubled in price and eggs are up 50%.

Our petrol prices have also tripled but that is purely political. Our Democratic Party hates the fact that our population is mobile and does anything they can to restrict unmonitored travel and movement.
29 June 2021, 07:57,
RE: Inflation has arrived
I've heard about timber prices going up in the States.
dont see much evidence of food prices going up here, I'm still paying the same amount for our big monthly shop that I did before the pandemic, monthly meat order is around the same amount each month.
what you wont get is any return on your money, interest is very low at 0.5% unless you tie up your money for years in which case you may get a little more but its not really worth it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 June 2021, 09:49,
I see evidence of it over here MB .....slower than the USA but here none the less ......the USD being the primary currency used all around the globe to buy and sell goods is coming to the end ! All the money printing by the fed will not save the mess , hyper inflation is coming your way ....as well as anywhere else who use the USD ...or forced too ....take a look at The Iceage farmer on YT MB if only to see what’s going on over there And here to some extent , then you can see why over here they intend o tax meat ! ...it will not be to long for us to catch up with you as to similar rates and increases......and the shock of all those increases will astound us as they have you ! Slowly slowly boiling the frog .....we have seen nothing yet my friend ! .....nothing .....global is where this lot is going...as BP points out interest rates are next to nothing ....spend your savings on anything useful to survive while it’s still worth something .
29 June 2021, 18:26,
Mmm, I have noticed prices are starting to rise, but to be honest it hasn't really affected my household. I only shop once every 10-12 days and then it's just for the basics. I have found it cheaper to buy a lot of items in bulk and package them for storage. Our freezers are topped up; we grow most of our fruit and veggies, and the hens are keeping their end of the bargain. So far. so good. I am just hoping I do not have to make any major purchases in the near future. I don't think savings rates are going to improve anytime soon though. It's difficult to know what to do really.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
29 June 2021, 21:01,
Agree with SS on this one, any spare cash should go on preps, whether food or items, the only thing stopping me buying more at the moment is space. The Mrs is on board to a fair degree and does get it, but if I had my way I would commission a whole side of one internal wall for food space.
30 October 2021, 12:28,
Well everything is increasing ! Everything .....no matter what you buy ! A good indicator that inflation is here to stay and taking a good hold ......also meaning all currencies are loosing value ....it’s not so much prices increasing ..more all the money printing comes with consequences and the piper must be paid ....and we the dull F..kers are the ones that will be doing all the paying....no surprise there then ! .....talk of transitory and temporary is pure bullshit ......as we see food , fuel and all else break out to a full gallop of increases ....only then we will see the full extent of what is really going on .......by then ........it’s to late mate ! .
30 October 2021, 12:39,
prices arent increasing as much as packets are getting smaller.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 October 2021, 12:57,
It amounts to the same thing BP ........inflation ! ......even if it’s by stealth and illusion .....carried out in such a way most people hardly notice the change in quantity given the packaging is the same size / or very close to it .
30 October 2021, 13:15,
people are noticing it, there was a piece on the news about it, of course they were talking about crisps and chocolate which I dont call "Food"! but I expect it applies to other stuff too.