Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do?
27 August 2021, 21:07,
What to do?
All right gentlemen, and ladies, I have a real life situation to present.

Today is 27 August, 2021 and it is presently 15:50 local time.

Our national weather service has established that a hurricane is to hit our southern coast somewhere in a 200 mile zone covering Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama.

It will travel north/northeast, overland, for around 500 miles before just becoming a nuisance. However, there has been severe flooding already in the expected path and more water will mean more flooding. (We are talking about whole towns have already been swept away in the past week)

It will make landfall between 12:00 and 20:00 hours on Sunday, 29/08/21, as a possible force 4 hurricane. Possible force 5 since the waters it is absorbing its energy from are 32-35 degrees C.

This is a possible Katrina level event.

Let's say you are living somewhere between the coast and the 200 mile mark.

What to do?
27 August 2021, 23:12,
RE: What to do?
Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
545 AM EDT Fri Aug 27 2021

MDZ003>006-503-505-507-VAZ025>031-036>040-050-051-501-502-505>508-WVZ050>053-055-281000-
Washington-Frederick MD-Carroll-Northern Baltimore-
Northwest Montgomery-Northwest Howard-Northwest Harford-Augusta-
Rockingham-Shenandoah-Frederick VA-Page-Warren-Clarke-Nelson-
Albemarle-Greene-Madison-Rappahannock-Orange-Culpeper-
Northern Fauquier-Southern Fauquier-Western Loudoun-
Eastern Loudoun-Northern Virginia Blue Ridge-
Central Virginia Blue Ridge-Hampshire-Morgan-Berkeley-Jefferson-Hardy-
545 AM EDT Fri Aug 27 2021

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for portions of eastern West
Virginia, northern and central Virginia, and central and western
Maryland.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

Severe storms are possible this afternoon and evening, with
damaging winds being the primary threat. The best chance for
severe storms will be near and east of the Interstate 81 corridor
across eastern West Virginia, northern Virginia, and into central
Maryland.

A Flash Flood Watch is in effect for portions of central Maryland
near Washington and Baltimore. Scattered instances of flash
flooding are possible due to heavy rain from thunderstorms.
Elsewhere, isolated instances of flash flooding are possible.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Saturday through Thursday

Isolated severe thunderstorms are possible during the afternoon
and evening hours Saturday and Sunday, and again for Tuesday.
Scattered severe storms are possible Monday.

Isolated instances of flash flooding are possible Saturday through
Tuesday, and scattered instances of flash flooding are possible
Wednesday.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation may be needed this afternoon and evening.

$$

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
28 August 2021, 18:04,
OK, we can now add 125mph sustained wind speeds and 6-8 meter storm surge to the equation at landfall!

With the intensity of this storm CH can expect a deluge of rain on around Friday and he is nearly 2000 miles from the landfall. I will get the residual effects (heavy rain and possible spin off tornadoes) Wednesday and Thursday.

This is one of those storms that might just make it all the way across the Atlantic to dump some moisture on GB.
28 August 2021, 19:34,
(28 August 2021, 18:04)Mortblanc Wrote: OK, we can now add 125mph sustained wind speeds and 6-8 meter storm surge to the equation at landfall!

With the intensity of this storm CH can expect a deluge of rain on around Friday and he is nearly 2000 miles from the landfall. I will get the residual effects (heavy rain and possible spin off tornadoes) Wednesday and Thursday.

This is one of those storms that might just make it all the way across the Atlantic to dump some moisture on GB.

Along I81 in West Virginia there are lines at gas stations with people topping off their vehicles and filling Jerricans for their backup generators. Food Lion parking lot near me in Inwood is jam packed, all the shopping carts in use and the shelves are being stripped bare.

Company which I have service contract with for the backup genset came and performed a PM yesterday and this morning came and topped off the 1000 gallon LPG tank for the genny, as well as the smaller 100-gallon one used for the household appliances, water heater, gas fireplace, stove, etc.

I put back an extra litre of Admiralty rum to fortify my tea in case we are shut in for more than a few days. Binge watching Luther this weekend as a respite from the everyone whining about everything else in the news.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
29 August 2021, 20:38,
I find it strange that even in parts of hurricane country that prepping still doesn't really seem to be mainstream? Do most people hide in their basements? When I was there I loved the basement thing, not the norm in UK.
29 August 2021, 20:39,
(29 August 2021, 20:38)LAC Wrote: I find it strange that even in parts of hurricane country that prepping still doesn't really seem to be mainstream? Do most people hide in their basements? When I was there I loved the basement thing, not the norm in UK.

Best of luck by the way
30 August 2021, 08:43,
looks pretty bad in NO, BBC news said power was out across the entire city and flooding was under way, watched the roof come off a hospital live on air, hope everyone keeps safe.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 August 2021, 09:30,
The most noticeable observation is why people build inappropriate housing in a hurricane zone, seriously why build a wooden house. You really need brick walls and concrete tiles with every tile nailed. Around here we’ve had 80 to 100 mph over the years with the very odd person losing a tile.
And tie down the bins and trampolines lol.
Hopefully you guys are all ok after the storm passes.
30 August 2021, 11:33,
Joe, It is because people are ill educated and nowadays need to have their hands held and everything explained to them. This, imo a deliberate act, allows the unscrupulous and power hungry to take over and do what they want.

When historians look back at this time they will see it as the age of stupidity.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 August 2021, 12:43,
how true SD, Covid showed us just how stupid and pathetic most of the population is.
give them a really bad situation and they go to pieces. and panic.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.