Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Airgun
18 October 2021, 20:06,
RE: New Airgun
One of the results of this "shortage" is a boost in price of ammo.

A 50 round box of .22lr now sells for $30 US, if it can be found. Your 100 round shooting trip would cost you 50 pounds at that rate.

9mm is $50 for a box of 50.

Centerfire rifle of any kind is $40 for a box of 20.

I was paying $5 per box of 20 for 5.56 or 7.62AK before the "shortage and it is now $40 per box if you can find it.

I find myself avoiding shooting my "real guns" just to avoid drawing attention to myself by being present at the range with a substantial supply of ammo.

Most of my target practice is now done off the back porch with the air guns.

After the initial shortages caused by shipping problems due to COVID the supply of air-gun ammo has returned to normal. Most of that is now made in China, of course.

It is also cheap! My favorite supplier has a "buy three get one free" policy along with free shipping inside the U.S. with a minimum order. I can keep my cost of good quality pellets, that actually hit what you shoot at, down to $15US for 2,000 shots.
18 October 2021, 21:38,
I bought 100 CCI 40 grn subsonic hollowpoints for £12.10 on Friday , only blazer is cheaper at £10 per hundred
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
19 October 2021, 22:53,
I own one of those fully reworked Ruger 10/22 rifles you see in the magazine articles with the internals all rebuilt and a 1" fluted bull barrel. 2-16x scope with range compensator and all the goodies.

When I built it I tested all the brands of .22 rimfire I could get my hands on. That was back in the early 2000s and ammo was available from any source you could dream. I tested it with Midas, SK, Eley, DN and RWS in all their target forms. Several of those brands cost me more than $20US per 50 rounds.

That rifle is exceptionally accurate and it makes the premium ammo go into a spot that barely widens the diameter of a single bullet.

I worked my way down to CCI minimags which cost $7 for 100 rounds and discovered that they shot into 1/4"@25m.

Out of curiosity I decided to try Blazer in it, and got the same results. The Blazer cost $10 for 500 rounds. I think I remember the groups being something silly, like .28".

I do know that it was not such a difference that I would have missed my game shot with Blazer if I had been shooting for the pot.

The difference between 40 cents a shot and 2 cents a shot is not worth the price for .05" group size after you got the one bragging group from the $20 box.

Since Blazer was extremely cheap when bought in bulk I laid by a good supply some time ago.

Which brings up another point. You are in GB and buying Blazer and I can not get any form of .22 ammo for any amount of money. The CCI factory is over here, producing and shipping to you over there, but not to me!
20 October 2021, 05:00,
I think we have an anomally , recently all shooters are now allowed to buy expanding ammunition without a requirement to have land or hunt , most of the .22lr i'm seeing in my club for sale is either high end match ammo or expanding , Blazer was the only solid ammo on the shelf , so i think we are running down the older stocks , am expecting the Blazer to run out soonish
20 October 2021, 05:02,
i'm now shooting .38spl cheaper than .22lr !
20 October 2021, 17:01,
That is one of the things that swayed me from spending too much time with 22 rim-fire in general. That and the low power level.

Back during the first Obama ammo seizure I decided to expand my bullet casting and reloading efforts to the 5.56.

I bought a 45gn bullet mold in .223 and dies to reload the cartridge. I settled on a small charge of pistol powder with the lead bullet and have available a mild shooting, very cheap replacement for the rimfire.

It is not exactly a direct replacement, since it gives about twice the power of a normal .22lr and just a hair above .22wrm.

I have a stockpile of scrap lead purchased for 25 cents per pound and one pound gives me 150 lead bullets. A pound of powder makes 2000 shots and primers are 1.5 cents each bought in bulk. I am estimating less than 2 cents per shot, and that extends to most of my cast bullet reloads in every caliber.

I have one rifle dedicated to use of the low power 5.56 lead bullets. It is scoped and zeroed for that one load and I have not had to adjust the scope in several years. It will not cycle my semi-auto rifles but I don't care, it works fine in my single shot and bolt action rifles.
24 October 2021, 12:37,
(18 October 2021, 20:06)Mortblanc Wrote: One of the results of this "shortage" is a boost in price of ammo.

A 50 round box of .22lr now sells for $30 US, if it can be found. Your 100 round shooting trip would cost you 50 pounds at that rate.

I was paying $5 per box of 20 for 5.56 or 7.62AK before the "shortage and it is now $40 per box if you can find it.

I find myself avoiding shooting my "real guns" just to avoid drawing attention to myself by being present at the range with a substantial supply of ammo.

After the initial shortages caused by shipping problems due to COVID the supply of air-gun ammo has returned to normal. Most of that is now made in China, of course.

It is also cheap! My favorite supplier has a "buy three get one free" policy along with free shipping inside the U.S. with a minimum order. I can keep my cost of good quality pellets, that actually hit what you shoot at, down to $15US for 2,000 shots.

You shooters have it easy, have you seen the price of arrows
24 October 2021, 12:48,
(24 October 2021, 12:37)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(18 October 2021, 20:06)Mortblanc Wrote: One of the results of this "shortage" is a boost in price of ammo.

You shooters have it easy, have you seen the price of arrows
make your own, you'll have too once TSHTF anyway.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 October 2021, 12:57,
BP, it's me, of course I make my own arrows.
24 October 2021, 13:14,
(24 October 2021, 12:57)Tartar Horde Wrote: BP, it's me, of course I make my own arrows.
thats what I thought, I havent perfected it yet but I have enough for now.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.